1/144 Space Shuttle Discovery and Boosters

Hi, I am new to modelling and this is my first build using any form of modelling kit. I acquired all the paints and materials and set to work. The little time I had after work was spent making this model. I know that certain elements of it are not correct, such as the ribbed external tank, size of the mobile launch platform, the tail service masts etc. I do not have the modelling experience of technical ability to scratch-build also. (I understand that Airfix produce the same scale stack with correct external tank and shuttle shape etc..) and I tried my best with mixing the colours for the external tank, although it is not particularly clear in the photographs. I also used tile decals for additional detail. I would like member's opinions on my first build and my pursuit in the modelling hobby. I enjoy reading the forum and hope to make another model in the near future, perhaps a 1/144 Saturn V?

imagejpg2_zps503a7345.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

Fantastic model. If that was mine I'd be happy and I've been modelling years, well done and love the tiles, they make such a difference. The orange looks spot on to me :)

The main question though is did you enjoy building it?

Thanks for sharing.

Tommy

Nice work, looks absolutely great. Definitely better than the space shuttle I built several years ago.

I would be over the moon if I had built this.

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Rick

Thanks for your encouraging comments guys! I appreciate it. ;)

I really did enjoy the build and hope to 'weather' the model for a bit of "realism" once I gain more experience.

Looks a really neat build to me. It also looks just like a Space Shuttle - I would def anyone who isn't an expert to spot the "flaws" in the kit itself!

Thank you guys. I was a bit nervous about posting the pictures as it's my first build.

I learned a lot from the build and know that I will learn a great deal more in the years to come; it's a fantastic hobby and I can't wait to start my next build...

Edited by Rez

• 4 weeks later...

That is a great shuttle build, let alone your first build, well done.

The paint finish is really good, it is difficult to get the colour/texture of the external tank right, and your looks very good.

Paul

This is amazing for a first model - very clean build and painted.

The ET colour is varying as the tank is not painted (the first flight was with a white painted tank but the extra weight for the paint was spared from then): The tank insulation has a light shade when fresh but gets darker quickly in sunlight. So depending on how long the Shuttle had to wait for launch the tank was lighter or darker orangebrown colour.

Rene