Ultimate Modelling Products would just like to wish every one good luck and to say that we're really looking forward to watching all your entries build up for this GB on the 70th D-Day anniversary, one of the most important days in recent history....

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of
Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well
equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of
1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,
in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their
strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home
Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions
of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.
The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to
Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in
battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great
and noble undertaking.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Good luck and have fun every one :D

• Like 2

Thank you Ultimate Modellng Products for the great prices to be win.

After seeing a lot of possible entries it will be a difficult job for you to pick a winner, but luckely is that not my decission.

I will try to do my best as a co-host and hopefully this will be a trouble free GB.

Just to end with the words of Smudge HAVE FUN with your build. I know I will.

Cheers,

• Like 1

What's the hosts take of the rule "in theatre"? The unit that I would like to build a plane from didn't actually have a tasked mission over Normandy. Two of their planes did fly over the beaches on D-day for a"look see" but I don't have the decals for either. The rest of the squadron was patrolling The Bay of Biscay on D-day. From 7th June till near the end of June they were tasked with bombing and strafing lines of communications leading to Normandy reaching as far as mid France.

What say you guys?

oh god now I'm in trouble. I have a TA 152 editing decals a gnat writing paint an ea 18 that I've just lost patience with and now this starts......... ok breathe and the ww1 .gb starts in a month hmmm busy times lol still in for a penny........

What's the hosts take of the rule "in theatre"? The unit that I would like to build a plane from didn't actually have a tasked mission over Normandy. Two of their planes did fly over the beaches on D-day for a"look see" but I don't have the decals for either. The rest of the squadron was patrolling The Bay of Biscay on D-day. From 7th June till near the end of June they were tasked with bombing and strafing lines of communications leading to Normandy reaching as far as mid France.

What say you guys?

You have hit on an excellent point Mish,the amount of men and material involved on the actual day although large to say the least,was dwarfed by what was to

follow in the next few days months,so is there a time period for entries?many of the units the armour guys might want to model arrived D+1,2 etc and as you

have mentioned your chosen unit were in another area although still very much in support of operations.

What say you guys?

For the time frame it is OK (june 1st till august 20th ) and they were helping with softening up the targets for before D-day.

So my say is that it would be OK. And even the Bay of Biscaye was the right(ish) flank for Normandy.

Cheers,

I want to do the AZ Spitfire Joypack (plus Freightdog resin Spitfire cigar belly tanks) as Overlord Spitfires, but I'm beginning to worry I'll be totally spent by the end of my contributions to the Korea and Harrier group builds.

For the time frame it is OK (june 1st till august 20th ) and they were helping with softening up the targets for before D-day.

So my say is that it would be OK. And even the Bay of Biscaye was the right(ish) flank for Normandy.

Cheers,

Don't see a problem with it.............................Smudge

Don't see a problem with it.............................Smudge

Cheers,

Wonderful, thanks guys, gives me a few to choose from now.

Maybe someone can help me with this... I want to build a Sherman II in british service and my friend found this photo from Operation Epsom.

IMG_1090_zps0d411460.jpg

Its probably from the 4th armoured brigade... but beyond that I don't have much more info. can someone shed some light on it, or point me in the right direction so that I can build it? I've got an esci kit raring to go.

• Like 1

That photo in Tim Saunders' Operation Epsom book in the Battleground Europe series is captioned "Regimental Headquarters of 44 RTR moving up on 26 June", on p.68, not sure if that helps.

Oh bugger!!! Can you believe that I've been working through Tascas Sherman Firefly, it's painted, needs toning down and weathering...I've taken no photos of the build!!! :(

Lee :)

Thanks Proc... that does help a bit. I'm trying to find something that will give me enough of a view to so that I can actually do the tank in a scheme. Unfortunately this might be a dead end. Do you have any other photos of Sherman IIs in Normandy or schemes?

Thanks Proc... that does help a bit. I'm trying to find something that will give me enough of a view to so that I can actually do the tank in a scheme. Unfortunately this might be a dead end. Do you have any other photos of Sherman IIs in Normandy or schemes?

I do, I'll dig out my copies of The Sherman in British Service and British Armour in Normandy when I get home. The second might be a bit tricky, it's holding up a shelf...

Is there room for another entry . Sorry for the delay in asking but i have just recieved my weather report for the 6th and its looking fine . Not sure about the tides but i have the new AirfixDouglas Dakota C-47 on the way and due to land through my letter box on the 5th.

Being mainly a Luftwaffe /luft46 builder this wil be my 3rd Allied aircraft in 20 years so have no paints or refrence on the Dakota so im thinking there will be a few more to tag along with on this G/B . I would like to finnish it in markings used by an aircraft flown from Upottery Airfield (Smeatharp ) http://1939-45.co.uk/uppottery.html

Alistair

• Like 1

Is there room for another entry . Sorry for the delay in asking but i have just recieved my weather report for the 6th and its looking fine . Not sure about the tides but i have the new AirfixDouglas Dakota C-47 on the way and due to land through my letter box on the 5th.

Being mainly a Luftwaffe /luft46 builder this wil be my 3rd Allied aircraft in 20 years so have no paints or refrence on the Dakota so im thinking there will be a few more to tag along with on this G/B . I would like to finnish it in markings used by an aircraft flown from Upottery Airfield (Smeatharp ) http://1939-45.co.uk/uppottery.html

Alistair

Sure Alistair,

You are more than welcome in this GB.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold and Smudge

It looks like i am the only one so far building a C-47 but thinking about it this G/B spans across so many types that there wont be much duplication . A truely combined arms Group Build .

• Like 1

D-Day is getting close now. Just 33 hours to go before we start.

I still haven't decided what to build a 1/72 mustang IIII or a 1/48 one.

Cheers,

I forgot to look up the Sherman IIs -- I went to bed last night at about 7:30 PM -- so I'll do that tonight, sorry. I have a brace of Hasegawa Mustang IIIs I've contemplated using Academy wings with.

Let me guess... the Mustang III combo set? I got a couple cheap, as well as the D-Day set. The wrong wing root doesn't bother me as much after a bit of sanding down to make it less obvious.

I have got the 1/72 Revell kit and the 1/48 Revell(ish) kit. I think I have made up my mind. I will go for the 1/48 version so I can do the sqn markings myself. 1/72 would be to small for me.

Cheers,