F-16/79

falcon

Last year I managed to get my hands on the Vingtor 1/72 F-16 Prototypes decal sheet and I noticed the decals were on there for the F-16/79.

I had a look at the kits that were readily available and decided to have a look at what would needed to be done to make the F-16/79.

The only parts that really need modification were the intake and the engine.

Here is what I have managed to come up with to convert the Revell 1/72 F-16B kit.

The parts shown are a direct swap for the kit parts.

These are the first 2 sets that have so far been made as I have plans to build a number of "What If?" F-16/79's as well as the one depicted on the Vingtor sheet.

DSCF0448_zpsef18c3e0.jpg

• Like 3

I will be following this thread, as I am planning to do a 1/48 scale model myself.

Remember to replace the ejection seats.

Nils

I will be following this thread, as I am planning to do a 1/48 scale model myself.

Remember to replace the ejection seats.

Nils

I wasn't aware of any change to the seat.

Which seat should it be?

Ah, just found out the FSD aircraft used the Stencel S-III-S ejection seat.

The production version would have used the same ACES II as the standard F-16's.

I also have the Vingtor's decals and I would like to make the F-16/79. I even have bought a Hasegawa Phantom to get a spare nozzle. But I still have a big problem - the Revell F-16B is not available for a couple of years. I hope that F-16B will appear in Tamiya offer.

Ah, just found out the FSD aircraft used the Stencel S-III-S ejection seat.

Right, that was what I was thinking about. With red cushions.

The production version would have used the same ACES II as the standard F-16's.

Probably.

Nils

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to finishing this. Revell 1/72 F-16B with my very own conversion to turn it into an F-16/79 and decals by Vingtor.
79002_zps56340810.jpg
79004_zps8708918b.jpg
79006_zpse4348d55.jpg
79001_zpsd37284a7.jpg
79003_zpscfd62454.jpg
79005_zps8fc94b61.jpg
79008_zps4397496b.jpg
79007_zps8c0b4232.jpg

• Like 11

Cripes, that's a bit good! Lovely work on the conversion and an outstanding completed model.

Nice work Chris, for some reason I had a picture of a twin seat F-16XL in my head for this.

And that would be even nicer!

• Like 1

I've always been intriged by this model of F-16. I have some Kinetic f-16As. Might convert one of them to a what could have been operational aircraft for some foreign country. I have some old Verlinden J-79 nozzles in the stash, be a good use for them. It will be in 1/48. Your build is outstanding. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

I had noticed that I had missed the Sidewinders off the aircraft, so had a hunt round and found the correct version in a Hasegawa weapons set.

Just painting those up before adding them.

Nice work Chris, for some reason I had a picture of a twin seat F-16XL in my head for this.

i have now seen the light!

:thumbsup:

That reminds me, I must get round to building the Lonestar Resins 1/72 F-16XL and see about converting the Monogram 1/72 'XL' to a 2 seater.

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of pics of the next F-16/79.

This will be an F-16/79A but I will leave you guessing as to the markings :thumbsup:

F-1679001_zps9952aa0d.jpg
F-1679002_zpsa7e7276f.jpg

Chris - how did you mask that - looks very sharp!

Actually did the masking with Tamiya tape on a piece of plastic card and cut freehand curves into the tape before transfering the tape patterns to the aircraft.