Are there any kits you'd like to see in 1/144?

WLJayne

Hi chaps,

Will here from Gwylan Models. There may be one or two of you who know me from 1/700 ships, for those of you who haven't seen my work my website is:

http://www.gwylanmodels.co.uk/

I'm based in the UK and thus far Gwylan has been a nice sideline for me. However I'm looking to expand a bit and spend more time developing my range, and I'd really like to have a crack at some aircraft. I've bee looking at 1/144 scale, personally I'm a big fan of these small scale kits as they can pack alot of detail punch using modern technology but don't take up lots of space. I see there's a fair bit in 1/144, but there's lots of ground that hasn't been covered - and a few really surprising gaps!

All my masters are designed digitally, and this allows me to get far finer detail l than I could by hand as well as helping to ensure perfect fits between parts. To give you an idea of the detail that can be achieved, here's a recent bit of my work:

10258377_1493801077510111_50968655201092

That rifle is less than 20mm long overall! So extremely fine detail on small kits is very possible, but I try to make sure the detail is represented in a way that'll take paint nicely without being washed out.

Ideally I'd like to go straight into plastic, and offer a range of reasonably priced kits at 1/144 along the lines of those offered by revell and Minicraft etc. But I'll probably get started with a few resin kits to begin with.

I've been looking around to see what's out there and we have a good selection of RAF, USAAF and Luftwaffe warbirds but with a few notable gaps - correct if I've missed it but I haven't found a high quality Mosquito that's readily available? That'd make a cracking debut! I'd be interested in knowing what level of detail you'd like them to go into, I want to make sure these kits offer really great value and I don't want to to few parts or too many.

Anyway, I always like to talk to potential customers before embarking on a new range, as I don't know as much about the market as you guys collectively. Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see produced? Price wise you'd probably be looking at between £10-15 for the small fighters and more for larger aircraft - decals an photo etch would be included where needed.

Anyway, I hope I can make some nice kits for you chaps :).

Cheers,

Will.

Edited by GwylanModels

So would you say that the die-cast and plastic/resin kits occupy the same market space? If I'll be competing with die-cast then the list of models that haven't been done gets a lot shorter! Still plenty to do but I was hoping to be able to do some kits of well known aircraft.

I'd love to see more British Army helicopters in 1/144 such as the Lynx, Gazelle and Scout.

For planes... Mozzie, Beaufighter, Wellington, Stirling, Halifax, Lightning, and especially a BAE Hawk, Buccaneer or British Phantom... In fact take your pick.

There are very few British planes in 1/144 but Revell is making some great kits like the lovely Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon and Harrier GR7

I'd love to see more British Army helicopters in 1/144 such as the Lynx, Gazelle and Scout.

For planes... Mozzie, Beaufighter, Wellington, Stirling, Halifax, Lightning, and especially a BAE Hawk, Buccaneer or British Phantom... In fact take your pick.

There are very few British planes in 1/144 but Revell is making some great kits like the lovely Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon and Harrier GR7

+1 with the fixed wing list

That's funny Graham, I was going to say Halifax!

Has the options of a lot of varied schemes, bomber, coastal command, SEAC, desert, glider tug w D-Day stripes and this scale would allow a collection in a sensible amount of space. would need a careful design for all the variants, but would make a Halton quite possible.

If the Halifax worked the a Sterling would be a good follow on.

By Graham's logic, a Sunderland would be good, as it would allow the Sandringham to be done. The airliners cross over is not one I know much about I'm afraid, but there are 1/144th kits of the V-bombers, so the other WW2 heavies could be worth considering.

HTH

T

British, US and axis heavies of WWII eg Halifax, B-17, FW200. I know that B-17, B-24, B-29 and Lancaster models exist but these are getting on a bit. They would make decent sized models.

Good luck with your venture!

Trevor

I don't think diecast and plastic/resin occupy exactly the same market place, but they overlap. Certainly for 1/144 airliners, long the classic subjects for 1/144 scale whether diecast, injected plastic, vac forms or resin. I see the civil Halifax variants as the one major omission. Much of the work for a civil Halifax will of course carry over for a military model.

Fitting into a similar multi-design slot you have the Wellington/Viking/Valetta/Varsity. I'd prefer a Hastings myself.

PS there is the very recent Amodel 1/144 Lancaster and Lancastrian, so despite its popularity I'd avoid that one. Certainly as far as an initial resin subject. However following that line, I suspect a Shackleton might be popular.

Edited by Graham Boak

A Handley Page Hastings would be great. The only completion would be an old 100 percent vacuform by Welsh Models. Also, a Javelin, some Meteors, and a Lincoln would be great. Clear resin rather than vacuform canopies would be a real asset to the line. Very small vac canopies are devilishly difficult to use well. Good luck in this endeavor!

Wow thanks for all the responses guys!! It definitely sounds like you're keen on the big bombers, sounds like the Halifax with varients would be a great first model. Goodness so much to pick from in what everyone's mentioned, years worth of subjects!

I can do clear cast resin canopies and turret bubbles, that's not a problem. In fact the smaller clear parts are the easier they are to cast as the chance of pinhead bubbles being left in the cavity is very small. I use a vacuum setup, and the chance of bubbles is very small anyway. What sort of photo etch parts would you guys like to see? If any? It may be these kits just don't need it, but if there's room I think that fine details like that can really finish a model.

Decals are no trouble, at least for now. I have my own ALPS printer - bought it brand new, last of the production run direct from Japan. As long as I can keep getting inks for it I'll be able to do a huge variety of markings for my kits.

This is extremely encouraging. If there are any willing volunteers, I'd love some help with gathering resources on the Halifax variants - a known accurate plan with fuse profiles would be a great start. Can anyone assist?

Will.

For the Halifax, there's an old set by Ken Merrick from Aeromodeller, and a slightly less ancient set of the Merlin variant by Alfred Grainger, but I'm not sure how good they'd be for sections. You might be better contacting the Yorkshire Air Museum because for their Halifax they had nose and tail sections built from scratch, so must have had access to decent drawings. The other source would be the Handley Page Association: Harry Fraser-Mitchell was keen on modelling and has been a great help in the past. He has been ill recently, however. The HP archives may be held by the RAF Museum, but I'd try through the HPA first.

More generally, look for the old or the new books from Ken Merrick. The civil Halifaxes have been regularly featured in aircraft magazines: I'll dig some out next week and let you have copies of the schemes.

I'd like to see a C-141B or C-5A/B

Stephen

Definitely a good idea.

Alternatively, if you are considering conversion sets as well as kits, J57 or CFM56 engine pods to convert Minicraft's new KC-135E to either a KC-135A or KC-135R or the lumps needed to build an RC-135V/W.

By extension, would you be able to use the same basic set of parts to produce conversion sets for the Boeing 707 derived E-3 AWACS/Sentry, US Navy E-6A/B, E-8 J-STARS or KC-707 or Boeing 767 Tanker and AWACS platforms used by the Japanese and Italian Air Forces?

Edited by Richard E

Definitely a good idea.

Alternatively, if you are considering conversion sets as well as kits, J57 or CFM56 engine pods to convert Minicraft's new KC-135E to either a KC-135A or KC-135R or the lumps needed to build an RC-135V/W.

By extension, would you be able to use the same basic set of parts to produce conversion sets for the Boeing 707 derived E-3 AWACS/Sentry, US Navy E-6A/B, E-8 J-STARS of KC-707 or Boeing 767 Tanker and AWACS platforms used by the Japanese and Italian Air Forces?

This sounds like an interesting product that would be pretty quick to turn around. I'll see if I can find some resources - once I'm familiarised with the subject the parts themselves wouldn't be difficult to produce at all. In fact I think I may put out some conversion sets like this to test the waters first while I develop a big kit. If you have any other ideas for conversion parts for existing 1/144 plastics do suggest them :D!

EDIT: According to Minicraft's site, they'll be releasing versions with A and R engines down the line. But the RC-135V/W Option is interesting as it looks to me like it would basically need a few fuselage parts and the CFM56 Pods - and new decals of course, would you agree?

Edited by GwylanModels

If doing bombers, I don't see much need for etch other than for bomb bay details, (as a delux add-on).

Other details such as undercarriage and guns could be white metal perhaps?

Trevor

This sounds like an interesting product that would be pretty quick to turn around. I'll see if I can find some resources - once I'm familiarised with the subject the parts themselves wouldn't be difficult to produce at all. In fact I think I may put out some conversion sets like this to test the waters first while I develop a big kit. If you have any other ideas for conversion parts for existing 1/144 plastics do suggest them :D!

EDIT: According to Minicraft's site, they'll be releasing versions with A and R engines down the line. But the RC-135V/W Option is interesting as it looks to me like it would basically need a few fuselage parts and the CFM56 Pods - and new decals of course, would you agree?

If Minicraft are already planning to produce a KC-135R that might eliminate the need to produce the CFM56 engines which equip the current RC-135; previously they used the same TF-33 engines fitted to the KC-135E. As you say, the fuselage modifications would be the cheek antennas, thimble nose and various "lumps and bumps" on the airframe; would you reproduce the smaller antenna in photo etch brass?

Whilst it might be more of a "flight of fancy" the US Air Force also operate smaller numbers of the similar RC-135S and RC-135U aircraft which have a slightly different sensor fit.

The RC-135V has also being introduced into RAF service under the Airseeker Programme which may give you slightly different marking options.

Edited by Richard E

If doing bombers, I don't see much need for etch other than for bomb bay details, (as a delux add-on).

Other details such as undercarriage and guns could be white metal perhaps?

Trevor

Now there's a idea!! I probably won't need to use white metal, the resin I work with is very durable and about the same strength properties as styrene - though obviously when it does give you get a clean break rather than a white patch and a tear like sytrene.

If Minicraft are already planning to produce a KC-135R that might eliminate the need for the current CFM56 engines which currently equip the RC-135; previously they used the same TF-33 engines fitted to the KC-135E. The fuselage modifications would be the cheek antennas, thimble nose and various "lumps and bumps" on the airframe; would you reproduce the smaller antenna in photo etch brass?

Whilst it might be more of a "flight of fancy" the US Air Force also operate smaller numbers of the similar RC-135S and RC-135U aircraft which have a different sensor fit.

The RC-135V has also being introduced into RAF service under the Airseeker Programme which may give you slightly different marking options.

An RC135-W would be a good choice then as I could offer it in two marking schemes. According to people with sources the KC-135 line is suffering heavy delays, so I don't know when minicraft will be releasing a kit with the correct engines. I've seen prototypes and there have been some niggles with accuracy that people have pointed out. Also with the resin I could maybe offer it with optional deployed reversers like this:

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/87/87889_big.jpg

I'm gathering a few resources on the Halifax, and I've decided that if I can I'm going to invest in doing it in plastic. I've already designed lots of plastic kits for other companies, I think it's about time I had one of my own ;).

Definitely a Mosquito, and some of the other twin engined aircraft as well (Beaufighter, Blenheim, Boston etc).

Oh, and a Royal Navy Merlin please...

So much to choose from! I thought this might be a good niche to have a go at!

Edited by GwylanModels

1/144 is such an ideal modeling scale for large subjects, I've always been a little surprised such kits are not more popular.

In my opinion WW2 bombers would easily be the most salable subjects; those having been well-covered above (!), I'll move straight to one of my personal afflictions--large naval aircraft of the era. The only first-rate injection-molded kits of flying boats or floatplanes that I am aware of, are both Japanese--the Trumpeter H6K "Mavis," and LS (Arii) H8K "Emily." The Academy PBY-5A is IMHO rather mediocre, and the late amphibian version leaves much wartime use of this iconic flying boat uncovered.

The Sunderland would be wonderful in 1/144, as would other multi-engined machines like the BV 222, PB2Y Coronado, JRM Mars, and Cant Z.506. Smaller aircraft like the H9A "Cherry," Cant Z.501, BV 238, He 115, Do 24, of course an improved Catalina, and many others, would still make pretty substantial subjects in 1/144.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

Here is my two pennorth

Beverley, Belfast, Argosy, Comet C4, Hastings, AEW Sentry, VC10 C1/K2/K3-4, Tristar, A330 Voyager - all RAF of course, but some do a have a civil read across.

John

...please no horrible engraved lines....

;)

olivier

Interesting, as they seem to be a common feature on other kits - if I were to do them they'd be fine, but distinct enough to show up when pre-shading etc. But I don't much like overly heavy representation of panel lines either, they have to be done right or not at all.

Great suggestions guys, it certainly seems that bombers are the ones to focus on. 1/72 heavies can take up quite a bit of shelf or cabinet space!

Edited by GwylanModels

If I could put in a plea for a non-military type.

A Short-Mayo composite (Maia & Mercury) would be nice. As the two a/c when mounted are really quite bulky 1/144 would be ideal, especially in households like mine where space to exhibit is limited.

Oh, and a Grumman Gulfstream might be an idea.

Edited by AMStreet