Hunter T.12

Devilfish

I ummed and ahhd as to whether I should put this here or in the real world aircraft RFI, but here it is.....

Still needs a couple of bits putting on, but for all intents and purposes, it's finished.

For those that don't know, the t.12 was the aircraft that TSR2 crews were to do their conversion training on, then move onto the T.2 TSR2, if it got built.

The T.12 was to have the "big bore" engine of the FGR9 and I believe the F6 had it too, but normal Hunter T-birds had the smaller bore.
Also, a bulge on the nose houses TSR2 systems.

The kit is the 1/48 Revell/Academy kit, with the Heritage Aviation T.7 Conversion. This nicely comes with a corrected exhaust and wheels.

It is done in a What-if 237 OCU markings, using an Eagle with a mortar board hat.

104_2970_zps08c85021.jpg 104_2966_zpsa4a8b3d6.jpg 104_2965_zps02b4196d.jpg 104_2964_zps80af5de4.jpg

Edited by Devilfish
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff. I had no idea that the T.12 was to be used for TSR2 conversion.

Nice work and l've learned something new.

Chris

Very nice build indeed. Pity the only prototype is now at the bottom of the North Sea.

A TSR.2 T.2? Now that is something I've not come across before........

Trevor

Can't remember what the Vickers/Supermrine Type number was for the TSR 2 trainer, but it featured a revised forward fuselage with a two-piece canopy covering both cockpits, full dual control and the potential to be converted to a fully-capable strike aircraft. " TSR 2; Britain's Lost Bomber" has some fascinating details and diagrams for the type. Full design work hadn't been undertaken by the time of cancellation but it'd make an interesting conversion for the Airfix kit, perhaps using the cockpit "canopy" from the TSR2 MS kit as a plug to crash mould a new clear canopy?

The T.2 was to have been converted from normal bombers, with the removal of the between cockpit coaming, addition of instructors flight instrumentation and joystick, all covered in a big, fully clear one piece canopy, replacing the 2 normal ones.

I have gained 2 more kits, and have a lead on a possible canopy I can use for the conversion, so it may be on the table now.