BAe Eagle PR5

Devilfish

Designed to penetrate Soviet airspace high and fast. Capable of over Mach 2.5 at altitudes of 80,000ft +

Painted blue to blend in with the sky, it was affectionately called "Bluebird" by it's crew, as a nod to both the land speed record car and the American SR-71 Blackbird.

104_2963_zps0a614c0f.jpg 104_2961_zps05b5b1fc.jpg 104_2960_zpsb6f58ba2.jpg 104_2958_zpse2e60cba.jpg 104_2956_zps561b7943.jpg 104_2955_zps19318f89.jpg 104_2954_zps7aa2a71d.jpg 104_2953_zps33a13bf2.jpg

Edited by Devilfish
  • Like 10

Got 2 more TSRs in the stash and 2 more coming. Planning on doing a swing wing and a fighter with the 2 I have and a GR.3 with one of the others. Would like to do a T.2 if I can find a suitable canopy.

• Like 1

Good use of Avro Arrow wings and TSR 2 fuselage. Looks....... intimidating!!

Wings were scratch built using 2 sets of TSR2 wings, lots of plastic card and even more filler.....This thing weighs about the same as the real thing would, lol

104_2020_zpsa4e9b1db.jpg

104_2228_zps79d6897e.jpg

Edited by Devilfish
  • Like 2

Ah! I did wonder but the what made me think they were Arrow wings were the blisters at the control surfaces on the underside.

Fair enough. I've had a few people say i looks like the Arrow.

They were a PITA to make and I wouldn't want to do anything that extensive again! Having said that, my fighter version will have extended wings....

Apart from the wings, the intakes were widened to draw in extra air for the uprated engines.

With all the extra weight, I had to fit clear supports under the main undercarriage legs to stop the bogies from collapsing, despite having metal pins fitted.

Edited by Devilfish

now that IS really interesting, I like the idea with the wing mod to make them bigger, will have to remember that idea!!

That is a totally different take on a TSR.2, and it suits it!

I still have my TSR.2/Tornado GR2 thingy to start, just need to clear the bench of other projects. All these TSR.2's are giving me great/mad ideas!!!

For my F.4 variant, I'm looking at using a Foxhunter radar, if I can figure out the best way to blend it to the fuselage and a cockpit/canopy of some sort...I have 3 options.

1) Tornado F.3 canopy/front end

2) Modified/raised TSR2 canopy

3) Something else, such as F-14 canopy....

The jury is still out!

option #1 is my plan, but with GR1 frontend

have recently aquired a partially built TSR.2, so may use that as the base for my build.

option #3 sounds interesting, F14 canopy, ....... and radar and recessed Phoenix missiles?

• Like 1

I have an Airfix F.3 which I planned to use, but the TSR is wider than the Tonka. Not a major problem in itself, but I'm still wondering how to blend the Tornado canopy into the TSR fuselage.....

I saw an F-14/TSR hybrid in one of the Airfix special magazines a while back. Looked good, but has been done. Never thought about recessed missiles. Was going to go with a British long range AAM, perhaps based on a Martel body.

I saw an F-14/TSR hybrid in one of the Airfix special magazines a while back. Looked good, but has been done. Never thought about recessed missiles. Was going to go with a British long range AAM, perhaps based on a Martel body.

Sea Darts, perchance?

Absolutely fantastic build. Very realistic in fact. Sometimes What-if builds have a wee bit of silliness to make parts fit etc, but this one is spot on.

I like my whifs to have a foothold in reality (even if it's only a very tenuous one)

The TSR2 to me seemed the ideal candidate for conversion to long range spyplane. It already had impressive range and speed. All it needed was the ability to attain sufficient altitude, hence the wings. Which in turn leads to more fuel storage and even greater range. Add to the mix some improved Olympus engines from the Concorde program and we have Mach 2 supercruise and M2.5+ in full reheat.

The bomb bay is converted to a sensor bay, with cameras and radar mapping and scanning systems.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...