Which white rattle can is right?

Jonny

I found my Airfix 1/72 TSR2 in the stash recently (coincidently I have the Aeroplane Special "TSR2" book!).

Which is the best rattle can I can buy to replicate the anti-flash white? I seem to recall comments about Halford's 'Appliance White' but I'm probably wrong!

Any & all advice gratefully received ...

Jonny

I've not tried it myself yet but others do indeed recommend Halford's Appliance White - covers well, smoothly and good gloss. Its favoured by many who build civie airliners as it gives such a good finish without hassle.

• Like 1

If you look at the car paint range of any manufacturer you will find a range of whites. (Strictly a historical comment based on experience - I haven't looked on the shelves recently!)

Isn't it Boeing that has 49 different whites on the shelf for their airline customers?

And all model paint whites also aren't white. Some are distinctly cream to start off with - Tamiya's Racing White aerosol is a case in point.

But as already said, Halfords Appliance White is good, if expensive!

keith

A good tip is to never use a cold can of spray paint, always warm is slightly in a tub of warm water and shake the living daylights out of it for at least 2-3 mins. I found this give me a lovely smooth even coat.

• Like 3

Halfords white tends to be quite thick and whilst good, to preserve detail, perhaps their white primer under a coat of Klear might be an option to consider too.

The white primer isn't as white as appliance white though.... :blink2::D (although it is actually my favoured white for small scale airliners etc, as I find appliance white is 'too white' for my taste! Most car modellers also use appliance white, but I prefer one of the manufacturers ranges that Graham mentioned, usually Vauxhall Glacier or Ford Diamond white)

• Like 1

A good tip is to never use a cold can of spray paint, always warm is slightly in a tub of warm water and shake the living daylights out of it for at least 2-3 mins. I found this give me a lovely smooth even coat.

I was taught that trick many years ago by the mechanic in the service station a friend owned. However his way of doing it was too scary for my taste - he used to leave the can on top of the gas fire they had in the garage...!!!

• Like 1

Was anti-flash white a true white, though? I've seen at least one reference that says it's a very, very pale, slightly blue grey, and many pictures of V-bombers and the TSR.2 show a number of shades. I was happy to use Appliance White on my Vulcan, and it will be perfect for my USN stash; but I did find it was more convincing with the colour dirtied a little.

If you want to stick with rattle cans after applying your Halfords White Plastic Primer, try a rattle can of Games Workshop 'Purity Seal'

It's an excellent acrylic satin varnish.

If I'm doing white (as on my ginormous An-124) I used White Primer, then rubbed down with fine emery - finished off with Appliance White, which gives a solid white gloss coat.

Then I applied the decals, and sealed them in with Purity Seal - result, a nice satin finish.

As others have said, for best results shake well, then stand the cans in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes before spraying.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I used a combination of Halfords Matt White Primer and Vallejo water based acrylic matt varnish on a Vulcan. This actually imparts a very slight sheen to the finish. Alternatively, you could just as easily use Appliance White with the same matt varnish

Allan

I used Halford Appliance White on my TSR-2, then matted down after decals.

Can't post photos at the moment - I've busted my Photobucket quota, but yes she looks great.

Others have commented on getting good performance from the aerosol - well I put mine onto a jug of VERY hot water and spin it around to heat up the contents. Then a dammed good shake - probably need a teatowel to hold it by now.

If the concave end pops :nuke: (and I've done this twice :oops:) then start straying immediately to reduce the internal pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone -

I don't think I thanked you all for your comments.

Apologies.

I'm minded to go for the Halfords undercoat / Klear option. I've stood near the Duxford TSR2 and yes, it's white but not the dense white I associate with appliances!

Thanks again,

Jonny

The brightest white rattle can I have found is a cheap car paint one from the pound shops. I haven't tried it sprayed straight from the can though so not sure how it would perform, I spray it through my air brush, thinned with cellulose thinner - the thinner the coat, the glossier the finish.

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 1