It started as a way of getting the modelling mojo back after some kind of saturation with the Shackleton.

Bad move, bub...

It started so well:

f-101a001.JPG

f-101a002.JPG

The fit of the center wasn't perfect, but seemed good enough:

f-101a003.JPG

Then I tried to put the cockpit assembly inside the front, and things went ape digestion by-product.

The tub, once in place, made the two fuselage parts to spread. I didn't want any of that, so I had to remove the alignement pins in order to get the tub in place:

f-101a004.JPG

But the tub didn't go all the way to the top of the fuselage, and prevented the wheel well to sit in its right place.

I removed the alignement pins from the bottom of the tub and gave said bottom a hefty sanding:

f-101a005.JPG

I sanded the top of the wheel well and quite a bit of the bottom too, for it to stay in place and to conform to the fuselage "cheek".

I glued one of the cheeks before installing the well.

f-101a006.JPG

f-101a007.JPG

Now, I've seen the bottom of the front fuselage doesn't align with the bottom of the center fuselage. Interesting times to come...

Edited by Sebastien
  • Like 1

A teaser for next post: the nose cone doesn't fit properly to the front fuselage (round section for the cone, vaguely oval for the fuselage), which doesn't fit properly to the mid-section (the mid-section is too deep).

So putty in front, belt sander at the rear, C4 is cooking and I think I'm gonna eat a llama.

The one thing that puzzles me with your culinary skills is where does the putty and belt sander fit in!!

or is that the secret of the recipe?

It's a real shame about the fit. I have also been hoping for a single seat Voodoo in 48, and no longer have the patience or manual dexterity for much more than a straight kit assembly, perhaps someone out there will come up another one! Was that a pink pig that just flew past my window?

Keep persevering.

John

KITTYHAWK shoot themselves in the foot, yet again.

Some time after K.H released the Jas-39 Gripen and word spread that the fit of the kit was bad to terrible here and there in the build, I wrote an e-mail to KittyHawk. I wanted to know how they justified their overpriced products in comparison to what the customer can expect and what one actually gets. I listed a number of gross errors and referred to known parts and places in various kits that have very poor fit. I mentioned Airfix, Revell etc and some of their good affordable recent kits. The reply I got back from them was very interesting. First of all that a Chinese company actually wrote back was unexpected.They answered none of my accuracy queries but strongly pointed out they will outperform Airfix and Revell and make them both run out of business. Thereafter they can charge the modeller whatever they want as they will be the only mainstream supplier left.

I had really high hopes and thought K.H would really get their things together with the Vodoo. The initial reports suggest continuing disappointment with K.Hawk products. I just wished it had been Tamiya or Airfix that were bringing out the Vodoo. I'll continue to boycott KittHawk.

Reg

Matt

Each to their own. If you want expensive badly fitting kits, try Mach 2.

Disappointing as they may be, they are the only game in town.

With care, patience and several expletives, a reasonable result can be had.

For some peculiar reason, many kits I like are slated for bad fit etc. Having looked at the pictures of the completed Voodoo, aside from the errors I have pointed out elsewhere, it looks like a Voodoo. It obviously can be done, So far I have built 3 Hasegawa kits, and zero Tamiya in 0ver 50 years of modelling. Maybe shake and bake is many peoples style, and I am just used to modelling with what is in front of me.

I have ordered 3 of these 'monsters', I'm sure I can make at least one good example out of that lot.

• Like 1

KITTYHAWK shoot themselves in the foot, yet again.

Some time after K.H released the Jas-39 Gripen and word spread that the fit of the kit was bad to terrible here and there in the build, I wrote an e-mail to KittyHawk. I wanted to know how they justified their overpriced products in comparison to what the customer can expect and what one actually gets. I listed a number of gross errors and referred to known parts and places in various kits that have very poor fit. I mentioned Airfix, Revell etc and some of their good affordable recent kits. The reply I got back from them was very interesting. First of all that a Chinese company actually wrote back was unexpected.They answered none of my accuracy queries but strongly pointed out they will outperform Airfix and Revell and make them both run out of business. Thereafter they can charge the modeller whatever they want as they will be the only mainstream supplier left.

I had really high hopes and thought K.H would really get their things together with the Vodoo. The initial reports suggest continuing disappointment with K.Hawk products. I just wished it had been Tamiya or Airfix that were bringing out the Vodoo. I'll continue to boycott KittHawk.

Reg

Matt

Did you actually buy any of their products and build them?

Peter

From a couple of feet away, it doesn't look bad at all:

f-101a008.JPG

When you get upclose and personal, there's a step:

f-101a009.JPG

There's another one:

f-101a011.JPG

It can be fixed, but it's a pain in the butt (Think Tabasco & 'roids).

I think there's a 3Q (quolossal quality quontrol) problem at KH. Homebee's build is so far trouble-free (even if the airbrakes can be read by Stevie Wonder).

To be quontinued,

S.

Back to the Voodoo...

So the fuselage is now complete-ish:

f-101a014.JPG

Steps on the fuselage have been puttied away:

f-101a015.JPG

f-101a016.JPG

Step under the fuselage has been treated with coarse sandpaper and the obliterated panel lines have been rescribed.

f-101a017.JPG

More steps on the "cheeks", more putty...

f-101a018.JPG

f-101a019.JPG

Did you know the Voodoo was BIG?

f-101a020.JPG

To be continued.

Some interesting choices of words there Sebastien :blink: Looks like you have your work cut out there, but you are beating it. I have one to review, but have had little time for that this last week for various reasons. I might nip a few parts off to see whether all kits from the batch are born equal while I'm writing :hmmm:

Hmmm..not very encouraging……Perhaps there is now at least one Revell-Monogram kit that may be worth holding on to….I have to say that, apart from the raised panel lines, the older kit still looks very buildable and does not seem to suffer from the affliction that other Revogram kits of its vintage have. Of course all that the KH kit will now do is add fuel to the flames of vitriol from certain corners of the planet……

- Well, as an after thought, it is just a modelling job you have coped with very smartly, but I think that for many old timers it is just a ordinary duty for an ordinary modelling party.....

- By the way , where did you got your kit ? In this country it is found at almost 80 Euros without postage....... It is somewhat difficult to swallow........

• Like 1

I have to say I am disappointed with how the kit has turned out. I do, however, admire you skill in putting things right.

Cheers,

Tom.

- Well, as an after thought, it is just a modelling job you have coped with very smartly, but I think that for many old timers it is just a ordinary duty for an ordinary modelling party.....

- By the way , where did you got your kit ? In this country it is found at almost 80 Euros without postage....... It is somewhat difficult to swallow........

Thanks for the "very smartly" bit. And I'm not that afraid of misbehaving kits (after all, I love vacs), but that kit was supposed to be close to state of the art. Well...

And I found it there: http://www.master194.com/prestashop/index.php

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 1

Thanks for the "very smartly" bit. And I'm not that afraid of misbehaving kits (after all, I love vacs), but that kit was supposed to be close to state of the art. Well...

And I found it there: http://www.master194.com/prestashop/index.php

Cheers,

Sebastien

Thanks for leaving the link to Master 194, I too live in France and find the prices in my local model shop too rich for me, theirs certainly seem more reasonable.