Revell Starship Multibuild - USS Enterprise 1:500 & 1:600 **THREAD NOT BEING UPDATED - SEE LATEST POST***

Hi Everyone,

As I like to have a starship project on the go and my Enterprise E build is almost complete, so I am preparing to start a muiltibuild of federation starships - The Original Series USS Enterprise NCC-1701 and the Star Trek Into Darkness USS Enterprise NCC-1701.

I will be using the same Revell 371 - Light Grey paint that I used on the E-E project for both of these starships. I used Enamel paint for the Enterprise E, but will probably use Acrylic paint to speed up the drying time on these two.

Anyway onto the sprue photos and kit descriptions.

04882 - 1:500 USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from Star Trek Into Darkness

This kit includes the following features
- Newly developed construction kit
- Large scale, two-piece Saucer Section
- Separate command bridge
- Multi-part deflector and sensor
- Large-scale, two-piece secondary hull
- Multi-part nacelles with separate pylons
- Many transparent parts, including Bussard collectors and navigation lights
- Display stand
- Kit suitable for the addition of lighting (equipment not included)
- Detailed instructions with tips for painting
- Extensive set of decals for the Enterprise

SprueJ_zpsf4682dc4.jpg

SprueK_zps3e536eaa.jpg

SprueC_zps87df42ac.jpg

SprueD_zpse1ffba9b.jpg

Saucer1_zpsd7107566.jpg

Saucer2_zpsa004e8b3.jpg

SprueH_zps51da55d6.jpg

SprueG_zps441c05c8.jpg

When completed this kit will be 588 mm from bow to stern. It comprises 91 individual parts.

04880 - 1:500 USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from The Original Series (TOS)

This kit includes the following features
- Construction set in completely new form
- Extensive, two-part saucer section
- Separate command bridge
- Multi-part deflector and sensor
- Large, two-part secondary hull
- Multi-part warp nacelles with separate pylons
- Many transparent sections, including Bussard collectors and position lamps
- Display stands
- Clear building instructions with painting tips
- Comprehensive transfers for the Enterprise, Potemkin and Constellation

Sprue4_zps7a3b9e51.jpg

Sprue5_zpsdb271e43.jpg

Sprue1_zpse9a177c2.jpg

Sprue2_zps90ae992a.jpg

Sprue3_zpsaceb911f.jpg

Sprue6_zps7d32f939.jpg

When completed this kit will be 481 mm from bow to stern and comprises 117 parts.

Anyway I am posting these now because I will be getting the paint for them over the next couple of days. If anyone has any idea how many tins of paint I will need please let me know ?

Thanks for looking, hopefully someone can advise on the amount of paint.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

No idea about the amount of paint Rick but the Into Darkness Enterprise is a nice kit, not built mine yet, still trying to work out the lighting for it but I have played around with the parts and they go together very nicely.

Look forward to seeing yours cone together.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

...... & off we go again!

I would say a tin for each, but a lot depends if you thin the paint & in what ratio. Priming the parts will save some paint & improve the finish.

Also, the Into Darkness E is nearly white with VERY pale grey/off white highlights. Some i've seen built are left in white primer as a base colour, then play with the aztecing as they see fit.

As for the TOS E, i think you're close enough.

• Like 1

...... & off we go again!

I would say a tin for each, but a lot depends if you thin the paint & in what ratio. Priming the parts will save some paint & improve the finish.

Also, the Into Darkness E is nearly white with VERY pale grey/off white highlights. Some i've seen built are left in white primer as a base colour, then play with the aztecing as they see fit.

As for the TOS E, i think you're close enough.

Thanks very much, at least I'm on the right track for the TOS version.

But for the into darkness version, I have no idea then. I thought the colour I planned would work. Oh well I guess I will have to watch the film while I am on holiday. Not that its a problem watching the film of course.

Rick

• Like 1

I am ordering some pipettes from eBay so that I can mix the correct paint colours for these projects.

I have never attempted paint mixing before so these 2 builds are going to be an experiment for me in more ways than one.

Ahh very nice.

I've been building the TOS Revell enterprise myself and I'm almost finished, I also have the Enter Darkness JJPrise lined up as a possible next kit. I'll be watching to see how you get on with yours.

Has anybody else noticed that the icon base shape for the stand is reversed on the TOS kit but the correct shape on the JJPrise.

Should be like this of course… in the end I just left it as it is but it does nark me a bit.

logo_zpsbade3ac6.jpg

Edited by SMD70

• 3 months later...

I have primed all of the components for the TOS Enterprise and approximately half of the Into Darkness Enterprise.

I will be completing the priming of the Into Darkness Enterprise as soon as I go to collect my car from the garage (which is near my local Hobbycraft).

I will be beginning work on the TOS Enterprise soon.

Rick

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Here are photos of the primed sprues for the Into Darkness USS Enterprise along with the display stand construction stages.

Instruction Cover

InstructionCover_zps12fd52eb.jpg

Sprue A Clear

SprueA_zps277ce3e4.jpg

Sprue B Clear

SprueB_zpsf20f9fc6.jpg

Sprue C

SprueCPrimed_zps7d2bec36.jpg

Sprue D

SprueDPrimed_zpsd69a3a29.jpg

Sprue E

SprueEPrimed_zps983b352e.jpg

Sprue F

SprueFPrimed_zps392940d5.jpg

Sprue G

SprueGPrimed_zpse0884a9a.jpg

Sprue H

SprueHPrimed_zps3f6bf1ba.jpg

Sprue J

SprueJPrimed_zps6014f734.jpg

Sprue K

SprueKPrimed_zpsf5c38006.jpg

Stage 48

Stage48_zpsf109ced9.jpg

Stage 49

Stage49_zpscbc6bdde.jpg

Stage 50

Stage50_zpse543639b.jpg

I have changed the colour of the centre of the display stand from Silver to Gold as I prefer Gold in the centre so that the two versions of the Enterprise have the same colour display stands.

Thanks for looking everyone, I will be starting to work on this version of the Enterprise at the same time as the TOS Enterprise.

Rick

• Like 1

Hi,

Here are the photos of the primed sprues and display stand stages for the TOS Enterprise.

I will be working on this in conjunction with the Into Darkness Enterprise.

Anyway here are the photos.

Sprue A - Clear

SprueA_zps6df0717b.jpg

Sprue B

sPRUEb_zpsda7cd282.jpg

Sprue C

SprueC_zpsa1e43238.jpg

Sprue D

SprueD_zpsa9bbdfc4.jpg

Sprue E

SprueE_zps50fd50ed.jpg

Saucer Section 1

Saucer1_zpsbf9fec42.jpg

Saucer Section 2

Saucer2_zps2332c543.jpg

Stage 39

Stage39_zpsccacd221.jpg

Stage 40

Stage40_zps8bbb7047.jpg

Stage 41

Stage41_zps6587fb8f.jpg

Both Display Stands together

BothDisplayStandstogether_zps62345fa0.jp

More photos of both kits to follow.

Rick

Nice work Rick.

Do you find it helps to prime the parts whilst still attached to the sprues?

Yeah it does help, especially with starships as some of the parts are arkward shapes.

The priming is hopefully going to reduce the amount of paint I use to paint these 2.

Rick

Project on hold.

I am not hand painting these kits anymore, the finish on the into darkness enterprise is awful.

I've now got to strip all of the paint from the parts I have painted and find out where I can a rattle can of the paint from.

Any suggestions ?

Rick

What did you paint it with & how bad is it????

I brush painted Revell 371 light grey acrylic paint (same as my Enterprise E build) and it came out all streaky and thin like something was wrong with the paint itself.

I will post a photo tomorrow of one half of the saucer section which has had 1 full coat and I started on a 2nd coat before I decided I wasn't happy with it.

Rick

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Here is the picture of the saucer half I promised showing the poor paint finish.

EnterpriseIDSaucerpaintproblem_zpsa9a969

Let me know what you think.

I am planning to start stripping this kit tomorrow back tomorrow, ready for repainting with spray paint.

Rick

An overnight soak in Power-Spray beckons.....

i would suggest using either Humbrol or Tamiya for the finished colour.

No idea whats happened here, Mate. But at least you caught it early.

Problem is, I painted all of the hull components (saucer halves, engineering hull halves, nacelles everything) and they are all the same.

Oh well power spray for all of the bits then.

Can you tell me which Tamiya paint would be closest to the colour in a spray can because I'm going to have got my hands on some soon.....

Rick

• Like 1

Let me see what i can fine. You want near-matches for both ships?

Preferably the same colour, but otherwise yeah the nearest match to both.

Oh yeah could you advise on the nearest match for the Enterprise A as gotta repaint and decal her as well.

Cheer,

Rick

OK, Just a personal look at the colour choices......

For the TOS Enterprise, She's a light but noticeable grey. According to a 20 year old copy of Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller, the original colour used on the filming model was a car colour called Mink Gray. In the Tamiya AS range, I'd look at AS-16 light grey. It's a fairly close match to the studio model, & 1 can is plenty for her....

As for the ST:ID JJ-Prise...... where to start?!?!? She.s CG'd as a pale white with pearlescent Aztec paneling, with pale blue & light grey highlights here & there. Unless you wanna spend the rest of your life masking the panels to the (INCORRECT!) instruction sheet, I'd just spray her in white primer, then get a can of TS-65 clear pearl & go over her with that! Or, theres some masking sheets pre-cut that you can use between priming & the pearl coat.

Which Ent-A kit are we talking about?

• Like 1