Eduard 1/48 Bf109 E1

Not all photo etch present as I have crap fine motor control. There's one exhaust pipe missing each side, gone to the great carpet monster, once I discovered I couldn't fit the cowl on with the fully assembled engine. So in attempting to rectify this, the engine exploded and also lost a pitot and lost a bit off the tailplane stabiliser. :owww:

Still, managed to get an aerial on, thanks to the Mrs and her hair :D

Used the scheme 6/JG 52 Husum Germany 1940.

First time i've used an air brush is on this model. Couple of my pics came out blurry, here be the ones in focus!! :)

2014-05-26113138_zpsdc922c9e.jpg2014-05-26113124_zpsb7a8d9bd.jpg

Forgot, stretched sprue used for the antenna post as the original also went to the great carpet monster!

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Buillding this at the moment - and wished I'd read your post first! Took me ages to get the engine and bulkhead properly fettled only to discover subsequently that you cant get the panels to fit with it all in place. Despite some impressive-looking instructions, Eduard seems to assume you want to build the "open nose" version, as instructions and advice on building the closed nose one are are quite misleading because clearly shows the engine, carriers, etc etc all in place before attaching cowls, top & side panels etc. If you're thinking about doing this kit and want the closed-nose (i.e. all panels in place) don't waste time painting and detailing the engine as you'll need to butcher it to get the cowling to fit. Use the exhaust stubs to locate the engine in place (i.e. so they fit through the holes in the fuselage) and dont bother with the engine mounts, air filter and whatever the thing is on the top of the engine. You'll then have a fighting chance of being able to glue the panels in place.

Eduard would have been better to have provided dummy exhausts to fit through behind the engine cover to allow you to omit the engine entirely. This would have saved many hours of frustration.

Oh and the only way I could get the bulkhead/gun platform and cockpit to fit was once I'd glued the fuselage sides together first. You can then insert both through the bottom of the aircraft. This was the only way I could get it all to align properly (having previously followed the instructions only to find nothing fitted). My observation would be that these kits whilst having a glorious amount of detail, are over-engineered and the parts tolerance is too fine. Be prepared for a far more challenging build than you'd expect from a Tamiya, Revell, Airfix (etc.) build. Dry-fitting is essential but you'll still have challenges.