Airfix Lancaster b.II as DS824 JI-K, 514 Squadron, lost 22 January 1944

After finishing Revell's B-17 "In Der Fuehrer's Face" my next subject is Airfix' Lancaster b.II as DS824 JI-K of 514 Squadron, which was lost in action on January 22nd, 1944.

Avro_Lancaster_B_Mk_II_ExCC_zpsa17f17ff.

On their way from their home base of Waterbeach (near Cambridge) to their target Magdenburg, the aircraft was intercepted by a night fighter. It was 01:12 on January 22nd, 1944: the aircraft was never seen again and crew were lost. Most likely, the aircraft crashed somewhere into the IJsselmeer (formerly Zuiderzee), in The Netherlands.

DSC_2930_zps6c5bb5a6.jpg

The remains of 4 of the 7 crew members were recovered from the IJsselmeer. 3 are still Missing in Action. Those who were recovered are buried in Makkum, Hindeloopen and Stavoren.

Screenshot2014-05-24at114524AM_zpsbabc60

The missing crew members, Sergeant D. F. Henshaw; Sergeant James Richard Keenen; Sergeant Arthur Pratt are commemorated at the Runnymede memorial.

DSC_2923_zps0b272648.jpg

Two of the crew are buried in Makkum. Their remains were recovered by a fisherman in the days after the loss of the aicraft.

DSC_2920_zps2f5947ff.jpg

The navigator, Leslie Noel Millis, (22) from Teddington, Middlesex.

DSC_2922_zpsa8b0e192.jpg

One of the gunners, Ernest Allan Lane, from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Can).

DSC_2927_zps30c45306.jpg

Another gunner was found near Hindeloopen and is buried there.

DSC_2925_zps02215859.jpg

Wilbur Henry Chapman (26), from Dawson, South Australia

DSC_2928_zpsb67a0048.jpg

The pilot was found near Stavoren.

DSC_2929_zps730b9242.jpg

Pilot John Kenneth Williams

Untitled1_zps37a1aabc.jpg

Although the aircraft was never found, some aircraft parts have been recovered in recent years by a local fisherman. These parts come from an uknown Lancaster wreck, and factory stamps in the metal indicate that the aircraft was built by Armstrong-Whitworth - the same plant that built DS824. Only a couple of Armstrong-Whitworth-built Lancasters went missing in the area where the parts were found, and it correlates with the area where the remains of the crew were found, so there is a fair chance that the parts are from DS824.

DSC_5868_zps7d73882d.jpg

For the model I'm using the "new-ish" Airfix kit.

DSC_5858_zpsd335ee1a.jpg

I'm not going as crazy with the details for the Lancaster as with the B-17, since I am actually learning that little can be seen. I've added some photo-etch from Eduard, and I added some electrical wiring and oxygen hoses from copper electrical wire and very thin solder. The hand-rail was made with some stretched sprue.

DSC_5865_zps1130e0cb.jpg

The Eduard pilot seat.

DSC_5852_zps48bf9610.jpg

Inspired by some other recent Lancaster builds on this forum, I added rivets. Not perfect, but I feel that I'm getting better at this.

DSC_5849_zps092033c9.jpg

plodding along... some more interior stuff to be done, but then I can start painting and assembling the interior.

Thanks for looking and as always comments and suggestions are welcome!

Edited by elger
  • Like 8

Superb project and excellent presentation of the story,it never hurts to remind ourselves of the human element involved in the aircraft we model

good luck will watch with interest.

• Like 1

Elger,

Your WIP posts are always a treat. And this one is no exception.

Your research on the crews adds a great deal of humanity to the machines we are so interested in.

Thank you. And that B-17 you did looks great too.

Best,

Adrian.

Elger,

Great stuff, but except for the prototype, I thought all BII Lancs were built by Armstrong Whitworth at Coventry (Baginton/Whitley)? The AVRO stamps on the recovered items would indicate that it wasn't a BII.

Bob

DSC_2922_zpsa8b0e192.jpg

One of the gunners, Ernest Allan Lane, from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Can).

Well this is one of the best "scene setters" Ive seen for a build for many a year - one thing I noticed was the head stone of the Canadian Gunner - not only does he head stone say Royal Air Force and of course not RCAF but the words Forces had an s at the end.........Royal Air Forces. I have never seen this before but assume its simply a mistake.

Elger,

Great stuff, but except for the prototype, I thought all BII Lancs were built by Armstrong Whitworth at Coventry (Baginton/Whitley)? The AVRO stamps on the recovered items would indicate that it wasn't a BII.

Bob

You are correct- I misremembered my own notes: the stamps actually indicate Armstrong-Whitworth, not A. V. Roe. Thanks!

Well this is one of the best "scene setters" Ive seen for a build for many a year - one thing I noticed was the head stone of the Canadian Gunner - not only does he head stone say Royal Air Force and of course not RCAF but the words Forces had an s at the end.........Royal Air Forces. I have never seen this before but assume its simply a mistake.

I noticed that too - not common, I think.

The Winnipeg Tribune for 27 December 1941, records Sergeant Ernest Allan Lane RAF, from Hertfordshire, England, marrying Dorothy Nims of 557 Broadway, Winnipeg. Perhaps this explains why F/Sgt Lane is shown as coming from Winnipeg?

He would appear to be an RAF aircrew member, given his service number which I think makes him RAF(VR), training in Canada at the time of his marriage.

• Like 1

He would appear to be an RAF aircrew member, given his service number which I think makes him RAF(VR), training in Canada at the time of his marriage.

I think you have that bang on because I also found more info confirming him as RAFVR, as were most of the other Brits in the same crew.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just about finished the interior. Instruments panel with Eduard parts, with some Future added to the dials to simulate glass.

DSC_3263_zps8ccec0c6.jpg

I have also acquired a kitten in recent months: Frankie. She is very curious.

DSC_3256_zps0f03b3d3.jpg

The base colour of the interior is Tamiya's IJN green, with a little gray mixed in. I masked and highlighted the ribs with a lighter shade of the same colour. This was sealed with Future, which I let dry for at least a week before a final wash with oil colours. The "black" is actually Tamiya German Gray.

DSC_3252_zps01cf39b9.jpg

Based on photos of DV732 in the IWM I painted the oxygen hoses ochre (Vallejo). I also opted for a bright yellow hand rail.

DSC_3250_zps52bdb636.jpg

The other side

DSC_3245_zps4ca55e8a.jpg

I scratchbuilt and added the undercarriage lever.

DSC_3244_zps0dc62130.jpg

The cockpit should be quite visible when finished

DSC_3242_zpsd8d7c41e.jpg

About ready to seal up the fuselage!

DSC_3236_zps31991ddb.jpg

Thanks for looking! Feedback is always appreciated.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

To avoid the work of adding rivets to the wings I decided to add some figures and vehicles.

DSC_8138_zps09dd3bae.jpg

The bomber crew are resin figures from The Armory (very nice). The officer is from the old Airfix set and the ground crew man is from Revell.

DSC_8140_zps74277f30.jpg

I hardly ever paint figures but I think I'm getting better at it, if I do say so myself :-)

DSC_8134_zps6507b845.jpg

The Bedford truck and the Austin Tilly are from the Airfix bomber re-supply set.

DSC_8139_zps4ad17fac.jpg

Now back to riveting...

• Like 6

This (for me),is the best kind of modelling.

Top notch research,first rate building,excellent photographs and a historical thread.

The church looks beautiful and the graves are very well tended as is befitting for

the final resting place of these brave men.

This will be a fine tribute to a fine crew and a fine aeroplane that gave it's and their all

for our todays.

Wonderful background research behind the build.

The interior is wonderful, can I ask if all the instruments come as part of the original decals ?

Cheers Pat

Thanks! The instruments are from the Eduard set.

• Like 1

To avoid the work of adding rivets to the wings I decided to add some figures and vehicles.

DSC_8138_zps09dd3bae.jpg

The bomber crew are resin figures from The Armory (very nice). The officer is from the old Airfix set and the ground crew man is from Revell.

DSC_8140_zps74277f30.jpg

I hardly ever paint figures but I think I'm getting better at it, if I do say so myself :-)

DSC_8134_zps6507b845.jpg

The Bedford truck and the Austin Tilly are from the Airfix bomber re-supply set.

DSC_8139_zps4ad17fac.jpg

Now back to riveting...

Nice to see wartime RAF vehicles painted correctly, not in a funny blue colour. they look fantastic.

Its a Standard Tilly by the way not an Austin. The RAF didn't use Austin Tillys during the war. Airfix got it right on this one!

Selwyn

Selwyn

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

small update: basic paint job done. I've given it a coat of future which I will let dry thoroughly over the next few weeks that I'm really busy, then after that decals, shading, weathering and final assembly.

DSC_8954_zpsbda57b44.jpg

thanks for looking!

• Like 2