A BIG Rolls Royce

A small update...

Control pedals and transmission linkage installed. Not happy with the Pocher stamped linkages, clevises and threaded rod shafts, I made them less prominent with black finishes and washes. I did install the screw heads from the back sides with the nuts on the more visible outers - slightly more 'real'. Again, if it were a chassis only model, I'd have got the MMC linkages.

Unconnected bits go to other parts later in assembly and some shafts need to be trimmed flush before installation in the chassis. Note the block of gray plastic with screws stuck in, on the far right of 1st pic; that piece, and its mate on the left, locate the firewall to the chassis.Those screws MUST be tapped in place now or you'll split them later. Thanks to Mr. Koo, I'm wise to you Mr. Pocher...

The pedals are duly distressed with some brown, gray and black washes - Jeeves must be more careful where he steps before chauffeuring Madame! ( :hmmm: )

/202Medium_zps6afe0353.jpg

203Medium_zps3a33ebd1.jpg

I now have the 'underlayment' for the detaill to come. I am presently attempting the linkages and oil lines - not included in the kit - far out of my comfort zone. Like cutting .010" brass, 16mm long, 2.5mm wide and drilling 3 holes in it-for an oil control lever. To say nothing of the tiny-er rods and fasteners. This is much like what Roy describes in his big Lambo build - a lot not included in a spendy kit.

More when I stop twitching...

• Like 2

Thanks Sgt. :worthy:

I am currently wading through the maze of oil plumbing and linkages not included in the kit-much like Roy.

The most 'correct' source I have found is John Haddock's superb notes and drawings. They are most difficult (for my skill level) and I'm challenging myself to get even a few correctly made and installed. The great debate I'm having with myself is that although I want a thorough and accurate model, all of this detail is only displayed on chassis models (no coachwork). Very hard to see with hood (even opened) and fenders in the way. Plus, I learned that the sheer scope of the model makes it hard to visually concentrate on minute details.

The other thing I learned, is that virtually no two built models I've seen on the various sites has the same plumbing and linkages. I'm my own worst enemy-I could be sailing along building the big chunks but instead, I'm spending un-godly time on minutiae. I'm afraid this doesn't make for a good WIP...

I'm cursed! :wall: .

The other thing I learned, is that virtually no two built models I've seen on the various sites has the same plumbing and linkages. I'm my own worst enemy-I could be sailing along building the big chunks but instead, I'm spending un-godly time on minutiae. I'm afraid this doesn't make for a good WIP...

Maybe, but it does make for a good model.....Which is kind of why we are here! ^_^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where we've been the last 10 days...

In the land of fidget, fumble and shattered nerves. Supposed to be fun I was told...

204_zps0728b8e1.jpg

Three oil lines, (called 'upper cylinder additional oil lines'-new in 1932) oil control valve, water pump and manifold, much of which will get covered by the carburetor, its linkage and inlet manifold. :blink:

Lines are .032", .050" and .062" and nuts for their fittings (00-90, 00-80, and 1.6mm for those of you keeping score). The distributor tower needed a 3mm shim to raise it properly for linkage to come. The research for these was the excellent but intense John Haddock drawings.

Oh and now we've got a proper valve cover gasket too...

207_zps8097f220.jpg

206_zpsf4065fe2.jpg

205_zps37b24891.jpg

I've been consumed by all this detail and it's seriously lengthened the build time for this. But I'm hooked. I realized I'm trying to get it to look like a castor-smelling, slightly sweaty, 800 pound (weight) lump of cast iron and ally.

These aren't glamor shots, just update looks. Spending all my time figuring-out and fabricating.

208_zps4fa34abc.jpg

Plenty more junk to add to this side; oil filter and linkage, distributor linkage, all carb-related stuff and a bit of grime to tone the fresh stuff down to match.

Nuts, huh??

• Like 1

could you take a pic with a 12 inch ruler next to the engine so i can get an idea of the true size of the engine plz :-)

gaskets look much better now too.

This is looking the doggies bits.....

In US there's no equivalent for this phrase; I give you the benefit that it's a compliment... :lol:

PLEASE bring on the Alfa!

And Mr. 182 (another Matt!) thanks and stay aboard for the ride. But you'll need patience. :blink:

Eyedears- engine dimensions coming right up!

As requested...

209Medium_zpsb5e71ace.jpg

By measurement; 8.875" LOA (fan face to driveshaft flange) by 4.25" pan to valve cover top. Very close to Roy's Aventador powerplant. Sorry the 35mm lens adds so much perspective.

Going into this bit; just shy of 26" when the spare goes on the boot. Need a bigger rule for this shot!:

143Medium_zps4ec575d0.jpg

Making room for one in your cabinet I hope... :devil:

Hi Codger

I have been watching this for a little while just love what you are doing too this beast

Just a thought I would leave that engine out of the car and built a half open crate around it too look as if the mechanic is about ship it back too Mr Rolls for refurbishment

Phil

Hi Codger

I have been watching this for a little while just love what you are doing too this beast

Just a thought I would leave that engine out of the car and built a half open crate around it too look as if the mechanic is about ship it back too Mr Rolls for refurbishment

Phil

You are very kind Phil and your idea is very imaginative.

Sadly, I could only afford one of these RR's and I am spending more than imagined on the upgrade parts. What you suggest is sorta like the A/C guys that build the engine and display it next to the fuselage or engine bay-I like that stuff. However, it would require an even bigger display space than the glass case I plan. Unless the Missus moves out (a distinct possibility since I started this) there's no room at the inn for that...

However, as stated, this is my one go-around with this monster and I'm deeply in love with the entire car. If I had a second, I'd do what you suggest and have a complete second car.

Actually, my one display crazy wish is to find a 1/8 scale bellhop-like the Phillip Morris kid from the 30's - and stand him next to the open door. But searching high and low did not reveal one.

I'll be lucky if I finish this one at a bare minimum in my lifetime... :blink:

Edited by Codger

More fun...

After the oil line fun-

Plug wire terminals. 1/16" ally tube, 4mm long, crimped, drilled for a .043" hole and shaped. These go onto 00-90 studs inserted into the spark plugs. Only 11 more to make....just shoot me. :crying:

210Medium_zps738f9674.jpg

I agree with aeronut that is looking fantastic, loving the used look of it and can't wait to see what your plans are with the body work

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.

Like so many reference photos I've seen of these, the coachwork will be that of an older concours restoration which gets seasonal use and is very well finished and kept. But the mechanicals are 'running condition' and show a bit of neglect by a non-'hands-on' owner.

Dunno if I can pull that off but what I'm shooting for. :mental: