A BIG Rolls Royce

This looks like another epic project and is going really well

Looking forward to following the progress

Graham

Thank you Graham-I hope the time it takes won't tax your patience... :frantic:

Some of what it looks like...

Nothing is bright and shiny; bolt heads not rusted are dull gray / black-some with scuffed silver edges. Dull sheen on some parts is graphite or rubbed / scuffed Metalizer or BMF. Washes are all acrylic craft paint-a wonderful medium for mixing and diluting. Stains from coolant / oil on cylinder case. Intake is not bright ally but scuffed Tammy primer with graphite scrubbing.

Not to every one's taste or a museum restoration. But the body will be shiny! :shrug:

Reference; I'm not good enough to duplicate but got a passing (I hope) resemblance:

166Medium_zpse705fa96.jpg

167Medium_zpsc2ba7eda.jpg

00-90 studs and nuts, insulators from styrene tube, drilled for .039" wire with wrap on them. Wish I had PE grommets for the insulators:

168Medium_zpsdec78187.jpg

170Medium_zps957a0612.jpg

Note the dark wash on the edges of the dull BMF strap-adds pleasing depth.

Yes, the wiring is wrapped with a 1mm wide strip of electrical tape, washed with light gray. It will hide in the chassis rail... :mental: ...

169Medium_zpse261dafb.jpg

172Medium_zpscafe7d89.jpg

171Medium_zpsba0ad705.jpg

174Medium_zpsd1075396.jpg

173Medium_zps6e094d06.jpg

• Like 2

Some incentive to press on...

175Medium_zpsfc519573.jpg

Both front wings (I love that expression and it surely fits the shape of these Sedanca fenders) in color and clear.

Duplicolor primer, 2 coats, rubbed with 1200.

Duplicolor Toreador Red, 1 mist 2 medium, rubbed between with 2400 and 3600.

Duplicolor clear 1 mist, 2 heavy. Will be rubbed with 4, 6 , 8, & 12,000 when construction complete.

Underside is scuffed black plastic, shot with semi-gloss; a light sheen. Looks charcoal gray.

Crappy photo but a luscious ruby red maroon, no metallic. It's flawless (a first for me); any apparent marks are reflections.

Inching ahead...

-only thousands of miles to go. :banghead:

Herewith, engine finish and detailing. All parts shown just mocked in place no fastening-hence, the timing cover askew and the head gasket ripply. In fact, a few show the cylinder head backwards with the intake on the wrong side. Some knuckle head set that up for pictures... :mental:

Warning-not everyone (or ANYONE) will like my direction in finishes. It may appear overdone but many of the later parts will disguise these and make them 'background noise'. Further information below.

The underlying finishes are Alclad II white ally on the crankcase and timing cover and AC II magnesium on the pan and gearbox. Both went on beautifully as instructed at 12psi. Then the messy stuff.

To obtain my used relic look, stains, minor leaks and sweat were applied with the following materials:

5 different craft acrylics (thinned with Windex and bolstered by Future), scuffed bare plastic, Tammy Smoke, 2 different Rub n' Buffs, Khaki and Sand airbrushed enamels and graphite.

In no particular order:

/176Medium_zpsad9bfae6.jpg

177Medium_zpsb8a3de5d.jpg

178Medium_zps00ca24ef.jpg

179Medium_zps4d052aba.jpg

• Like 2

And more...

It's difficult to photo these, the flash makes some too stark and natural light makes some too dim. They look a little better, more subtle, in person.

I've realized this is all a flight of fancy on my part-partially based on my 1:1 experience. Maybe I can't get 1/8 to look like 1:1.

Oh and to disappoint, I won't be shredding any articles of clothing to build this RR as a certain Mad Genius Builder, Mr. Mattblack...

Still to be added (soon) various oil lines, using soldiers, not the supplied brass rods. Then some linkages. Sort of building layers of detail. Some parts will be difficult to age or distress, like the hoses, wires and harness-but I'm trying to mow my way through challenges. Yes I know, 'who will see these?...' Answer: me.

Flame away:

180Medium_zps7c9ebb6c.jpg

181Medium_zps3a691ade.jpg

182Medium_zps1dce3e9b.jpg

183Medium_zps6747597c.jpg

• Like 1

More than ever, this build taught me that it's built in layers. Layer after layer of detail make the whole. You must keep your enthusiasm up while doing the minutia. I am trying...

A crude engine stand of basswood and foam board are a huge help:

184Medium_zps74d78342.jpg

New oil lines made from soldier and sized smaller to be in better scale:

185Medium_zpsd0dd0e99.jpg

Various details:

186Medium_zps0e884886.jpg

New scratchbuilt oil line for the magneto drive:

188Medium_zps39239621.jpg

And more:

189Medium_zps613926ab.jpg

190Medium_zpsccd285a3.jpg

193Medium_zpsfd179871.jpg

The end :bye: :

191Medium_zpse9725c3f.jpg

Edited by Codger
  • Like 2

God, it looks like you have a full size roller dismantled in your living room o_O

:lol: :lol:

A very nice compliment-thank you. I'm laughing because when I built my 1:1 Cobra, I actually did.

Removed all bits of the front and rear suspension, every bracket and all linkage. Out they went for powder coat and when they came back all gleamy, I laid the bits out on carpets in the sitting and sun rooms to keep from scratches.

BOY, was I popular for a couple of months... :devil:

You might need to torque the head down, it looks as though that gasket might leak in the last shot.

You are correct sir. To that end, I've made a new proper gasket from .010 styrene.

Now it's the only place that's NOT leaking... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Getting more stupid now...

Figured a way to waste more time. Rather than steam my way through assembly of big engine chunks, I finally found a way to make 'closer' connectors for the generator wires and plug wires. Straight out of the Rube Goldberg manual...

Not having any ally or brass tube around, I went to 1/16" styrene tube. After much fumbling, fidgeting, sanding, crimping and drilling-voila. No they're not exact replicas but a lick of black for the shrink tube and a dab of silver or BMF, and they'll satisfy me.

That's a 2mm wide 00-90 nut and the wires:

194Medium_zps044c10e9.jpg

On the generator are the three terminals with 00-90 nut. The black 'insulator' will come off when these go on. Now only 13 more to make. :banghead:

195Medium_zpsa2d35280.jpg

• Like 2

Upon further review...

After a restless nights sleep, I decided I wasn't happy with the above terminal ends and wires. They were just too 'clunky'. I'm my own worst enemy...

I wish I was one of those craftsmanship-type guys that can scratch built faultlessly on the first attempt. I always have to make 2 or 3 to keep one of anything.

One thing I missed pointing out is that casting boss on the rear engine mount that the magneto now bolts to. It's tubing faired with Bondo and 00-90 hardware atop. I actually have reference for this. This prevents the mag from 'floating' atop the mount.

Herewith; these wires are .020", not the previous .040". The end connectors are .072" soldier, crimped, drilled, filed and end-drilled .039" to accept the wire. Then a touch of flux and the hot iron to mate them. Painted on black insulation, painted red, yellow and black wires, wrapped in electrical tape, cut thin and wrapped. The pigtail will hide in the chassis. Eight more hours of insanity...

Worth it or a waste-you tell me:

196Medium_zps5428c3f9.jpg

197Medium_zpse707a957.jpg

198Medium_zpse83ba050.jpg

• Like 2

definatly worth it, its the small details that make the difference. if your not happy with it, change it. i just spent 10 hours polishing out a 1/24car body as i didnt like the shiney as hell but too-plasticky looking - clearcoat.

• Like 2

ok, its not perfect but its quite nice and smooth now. i may add a couple more wax coats yet,

14575835314_8d7c874e55_b.jpg

14577607215_658508cbc7_b.jpg

those six discs along the side of the block, how did you weather them again?

they look damn good.

• Like 3

Hi codger.

I am in the process of building this kit at the moment, but unfortunately I cannot get any pics on here, I don't know why, I have tried everything, and sorry to say, I have now given up.

Your build is brilliant, the weathering on the engine is terrific and your attention to detail superb. I was wondering where you got the colour scheme from? Is it your own idea, or something that you have seen on a Roller or another car? I am also looking forward to seeing how you will tackle the interior, because what comes with the kit is next to useless!

Keep up the good excellent work.

ok, its not perfect but its quite nice and smooth now. i may add a couple more wax coats yet,

those six discs along the side of the block, how did you weather them again?

they look damn good.

Finish befitting a mufti-million pound / dollar / peso car! Must be very hard to polish in those scoops, slots and around lights.

Excellent craftsmanship!

BTW-please post a link here to your Su-27 build; I'm a HUGE Flanker fan, but never built one.

The freeze plugs? First scuffed the black plastic with scuff pad. Then: rub with graphite powder; brush acrylics: ivory, 'sand' color, 2 browns, black, green. Smush some together with Windex and vary from solid to wash; a touch of Rub 'n Buff on an edge or two, thinned with enamel reducer. Use lot's of imagination and look at old leaky crocks. Not for neat-freaks. :mental:

Glad you like. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Hi codger.

I am in the process of building this kit at the moment, but unfortunately I cannot get any pics on here, I don't know why, I have tried everything, and sorry to say, I have now given up.

Your build is brilliant, the weathering on the engine is terrific and your attention to detail superb. I was wondering where you got the colour scheme from? Is it your own idea, or something that you have seen on a Roller or another car? I am also looking forward to seeing how you will tackle the interior, because what comes with the kit is next to useless!

Keep up the good excellent work.

Fox,

I'm well aware of your build and regret that you're having such photo troubles. I would have helped but I do exactly as the boys advised you to try with P'bucket. Perhaps you should try Flick'r, which is supposed to be easier. If your problem is here on BM, perhaps a PM to the Mods would help. I am MOST anxious to see your Roller and let me tell you, Roy's 'India' is a great tutorial to help visualize construction and beautiful work.

You're very kind but no one has ever accused me of 'brilliant' anything. :rolleyes: I'm trying to push my 'envelope' as this is the most complex project I've done (aside from my 1:1) and may probably be my last build. I've wanted this model since they were new in the '70's.

The colors? I just love combinations of deep ruby maroon and tans / yellows. Bought a million spray cans to test until I hit just these. All the Pochers I've seen have very varied schemes so anything goes. The 1:1's I've seen have a lot of maroon / blacks.

You're correct about the interior-it's junk. I've already collected the carpet from a dollhouse supplier and have visualized how I will build the seats. I'm still searching for scale Haartz cloth for the top. Roy did a fantastic thing with the woodgrain effect and fabrics-don't miss his build.

Build what pleases you-the model will knock you out when finished. As Sting sang; 'I'll be watching you...' :clap2:

Boring update...

No, have not (yet) committed hari-kari. Actually awaiting delivery of supplies and metal rods and tubes for the plumbing and linkages I hope to replicate. That will be a challenge and I'll be lucky to get even some of it right.

Meantime, I'm prepping the oil pump, coil and other small bits for action. Have most of the transmission linkage done and am working to get the pedals mounted. I actually wanted to get the MMC transmission linkage set (beautiful and $$) but had to keep telling myself that I'm not building a chassis model. The floorboards would cover about 90% of that. So I just went with the Pocher stamped steel bits, painted black to make them less offensive.

More soon...