A BIG Rolls Royce

Paul's RR was built pretty much box stock whereas Codger's has undergone extensive modification in order to achieve the subtle but, necessary changes in order to look more correct. For all of us that have been following this build we all know just how much work has gone into this car in order to get to the vision he stated at the beginning. This is similar to Andi's Fiat build where the vision was stated at the onset and worked toward all throughout the build. 

Codger has never deviated from the vision and has sacrificed much plastic card in an effort to maintain the integrity of the build. 

I know both Paul and Mr. C personally and they're both some of the best Pocher builders out there but, they build differently. Paul is all about building the kit straight from the kit and helping others with doing the same. He built so many Pochers and has had the same problems many of us faced in the beginning with fit and finish that he started making the DVDs to help the rest of us avoid making the same mistakes that, result in so many started and unfinished kits winding up on eBay. I don't think that there's one of us that have a Pocher kit that, doesn't have a Paul Koo DVD to go with it; it's more important than the instructions anymore.

Codger has taken what Paul has given us and decided to use it to push the limits of his skills in order to build the Pocher of his dreams and the amount of time that he has spent on this build is of little or no consequence; it has to be exactly as the vision in his head dictates. I know how many times that he's built and rebuilt pieces just to get it right; it's become an ongoing joke among us. If it's not been done at least a half dozen times then it can't be correct. As much as I want to see the end result here, I know that it's going to be a loss for the forum when it's done. 

It really is turning into the stated vision of three years ago and even though it's not quite finished it's been a great journey and I've learned a lot along the way!!

w

• Like 2

2 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

Codger has taken what Paul has given us and decided to use it to push the limits of his skills in order to build the Pocher of his dreams and the amount of time that he has spent on this build is of little or no consequence; it has to be exactly as the vision in his head dictates. I know how many times that he's built and rebuilt pieces just to get it right; it's become an ongoing joke among us. If it's not been done at least a half dozen times then it can't be correct. As much as I want to see the end result here, I know that it's going to be a loss for the forum when it's done. 

It really is turning into the stated vision of three years ago and even though it's not quite finished it's been a great journey and I've learned a lot along the way!!

w

Your thoughts about Paul's work are right on and in my case, overly generous and kind. Glad you found the time to comment, you've been busy lately.

I deserve the joke - my repeated work would have been unnecessary if I were a better builder. This thread would be half the size if I could make things correctly the first time. :suicide::crying:

We Pocher Crazies would be well-served if you could find again the time and enthusiasm to contribute your big builds here.:idea:

• Like 1

The enthusiasm and skills of this topic has really enticed me confirming I had made a great purchase.

i just bought my first Pocher Roll Royce Coupe and am in the process of absorbing all this information online.

Looking and deciding on upgrades, and how detailed I want to achieve.

Great to have this site as a guidance and inspiration.

Wish me luck! Lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, detailjunkie said:

The enthusiasm and skills of this topic has really enticed me confirming I had made a great purchase.

i just bought my first Pocher Roll Royce Coupe and am in the process of absorbing all this information online.

Wish me luck! Lol

Great news detail - welcome to the forum. Plenty of skilled Pocher builders here of every stripe, including big, hot bikes! Start a thread and you'll get plenty of attention from us - especially me, the solitary Rolls builder!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, detailjunkie said:

Wish me luck! Lol

Welcome to the madness that is Pocher.....you poor fool ;)

16 minutes ago, Codger said:

Great news detail - welcome to the forum. Plenty of skilled Pocher builders here of every stripe, including big, hot bikes! Start a thread and you'll get plenty of attention from us - especially me, the solitary Rolls builder!

Just started the venture of getting everything together and have done the inventory thing of just a few missing pieces.

I will defiantly start a thread soon.

I appreciate any criticism and guidance.

I have built many 1//25 models but nothing like this.

Always wanted one for many years, so hear I GO!

• Like 3

Dear Codger and dear Larchiefeng

Thank you very much for your respective clarifications. 

As a passionate builder of large scale, i am surely and gently sliding towards a Pocher build quite soon. I am develloping my skills with the Mef. ( a joy ) and other large scale builds.

My deep respect goes to every single Pocher builder for the tremendous efforts to overcome their frustrations and incredible challenges they face, and all seem different somehow..

Surely when my turn will come - quite soon - and i will have to get a Paul K video, in addition to study all your threads. 

Does one need to anticipate changing the springs on all Pocher cars or is it just the beautiful Sedanca ?

i totally agree with you Codger, i would also want the ride height to be according to my vision from the moment the car is being built and not because it will 'sagg' or adjust itself ?!! ...:mellow: 

Since a few months, i have the new Mercedes Gullwing on order and waiting list from Pocher ...

but will it ever be produced ?

also, i lost bids for the Alfa 82 C ( for which car my credit card is still twitching and calling me to action )  so i think that before the summer is over, i will sooner or later get a Pocher from ebay, regardless of what happens with the Gullwing. 

Am very grateful and full of admiration for your great works, both of you and technical posts - and Thierry's CC Bugatti and several other Pocher builders on this Forum... You are the culprits for me to be slowly but surely 'aspirated' into this Pocher tunnel.... it seems a Pocher build and resulting build provides a unique experience. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Codger said:

I assure you the louvers are not 'virgins' as most of my starlet passengers will not be as well. :Tasty:

Dear Codger,

Why am i not surprised ?

How may starlets in total fit in your car ? :king::party::wub::whistle::Tasty:

by the way if you need a driver....i can drive in style with riding boots and jaipurs and open the bottles of champagne with a sabre.

All i would require in payment is to have a large rearview mirror and to be the one to open and close the doors ;)

i can also be discreet.

2 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger,

Why am i not surprised ?

How may starlets in total fit in your car ? :king::party::wub::whistle::Tasty:

by the way if you need a driver....i can drive in style with riding boots and jaipurs and open the bottles of champagne with a sabre.

All i would require in payment is to have a large rearview mirror and to be the one to open and close the doors ;)

i can also be discreet.

You have catapulted to the top of my list. I now only need a 1/8 scale Sam! :worthy:

• Like 1

Sam, rumor has it that, the Pocher release of the 300 SL Gullwing is really going to be the Eaglemoss kit that is already out and is being sold on the monthly installment plan. The problem is and has been the spotty release of any and all of the new Pocher kits. Take the Huracan for instance, when it was finally released we have seen in a recent thread of the poor quality and missing parts. I don't expect the 300 SL to be much different given, the financial difficulties that I've heard about with Hornby. I wouldn't put down any deposits or hold my breath waiting for a release any time soon.

Mr. C, if it ever stops snowing and I can do something besides shovel snow, I will get back to the final leg of the Merc. It stares at me every day and I know that, sometime soon I will just sit down and get after it.

I might as well tell you now since I haven't been able to find a suitable resin figure but, our little group was going to get you the starlet figure and our resident figure painter was going to paint it for you to adorn the Rolls upon completion. We've been looking for one since Christmas to no avail so, if anyone out there that knows of a figure in 1/8 scale that would meet the requirements please PM me and let me know where and what can be done to obtain it. If we can get one it will become part of the final vision.

W

9 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

if anyone out there that knows of a figure in 1/8 scale that would meet the requirements

Sorry only know 1:1 scale on this, :ill:  

(with all modesty put aside of course)

:angel::yikes:

30 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

I might as well tell you now since I haven't been able to find a suitable resin figure but, our little group was going to get you the starlet figure and our resident figure painter was going to paint it for you to adorn the Rolls upon completion.

I am surrounded by scoundrels and rascals of the highest order! But with hearts of equal parts gold and lechery.

That is a wonderful scheme which brings a tear to my eye. Bless you all.  :worthy::worthy::worthy:

But alas, after hatching the idea over a year ago, I despaired it could happen because I just couldn't find my dream, especially in 1/8 scale. Much animie and fantasy girls with amazing equipment (ahem)  but none as simple and and elegant as the '30's styles I sought. Slinky movie starlets...eager to joy ride in a Rakish Rolls with a handsome, wealthy fop (me). So I gave up the idea.

When I actually completed the cabin with full seats and the roof covering with roll, I realized she would need to be near fully reclined and at that, seen mainly from the knees down - it's DARK back there. And that's a low roof... Hoisted by my own petard...:wall:

So alas, my humble effort at elegance must stand on its own merit (or not) without the help of additional soft curves.

I am shocked and flattered that you bunch think as much of my work and nutty dreams.

Simply -------thank you all.

Codger

Sadly,  very few figures in 1/8 scale.

Phicen do some 'incredible' figures in 1/6, but they might/might not fit and they ain't cheap...

Mind you, their Halle Berry is (ahem) quite nice.

Or how about Marilyn???

231S701_Female-Seamless-Figure.jpg

1-6-Scale-Action-Figure-Accessory-Marily

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Mr. C, this is what I found too when, I was looking. I also realized that a seated or reclining figure may not be doable just because of the headroom and legroom restrictions. However, I was OK with a standing figure if she was of the correct era and dress. Again, I could not find anything that fit the bill and like Roy, I did find some 1/6 that could perhaps be close but, a little too big. 

39 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Mr C, maybe it's time for you to add 'figure sculptor' to your long list of talents. ;)

But Rob, I'd have to make a figure 20 times to get one good one - that's my curse, remember?? However if I could get the right 1:1 model to pose for me.....

---And besides Silver 911 Ron is our resident figure artist with skills ' far beyond those of mortal men! ' to quote from Superman.

Roy, I did study the Phicen site in detail when you mentioned it many months ago. They are truly stunning, just couldn't find the 'ace' one.

Yes Wayne my conclusion too which led me to forego the idea.

And I realized if I put a stunning standing (or even seated in front seat) figure in the case with the model, the figure would become the focal point and visually overcome the car.

So alas, no hostesses for my Roller...

Going back to Sam for a moment here, I get the feeling of wanting to improve your skills in preparation for building a Pocher but, I think that you already have the skills to do so. The one thing about building a Pocher is that, it's like nothing else you have ever built before. It's going to be a different kind of experience and you will become a better builder as you go along, it's inevitable. This is the only way I can explain it and when you get into it you will understand. There's a lot of things to overcome and problems to be solved and you will get creative in doing so. When you have finished and turned out a model that you can be proud of you will know that, there's not much that you can't build. And, it will probably be another Pocher that, you will swear that you can do better on; it's just that kind of thing.

• Like 3

One other option...

Over here in good ol' Blighty, a store - Asda - have a 3D scanning/photo deal.

For about £40 you can get a full colour 3D printed photo-real figure of YOU, in whatever pose you adopt, at your chosen size delivered to your door...!

Surely, Walmart must do it, as they are the same company.

How about a 1/8 scale Mr C standing next to the car! :D

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Thank you very much dear Larchiefeng !  for your kind words which i don't deserve and also for your encouragements and clarifications.

as for the darling startlets,  if the figure is not exactly to scale ( ahem) and with very high quality finish, it may look like a toy and have the opposite effect near this masterpiece of a car ( i mean it ) 

but what MAY work perhaps IF the right scale is found,  could be ;

one small classy sexy "frou frou' sza sza gaborish high heel shoe abandoned on the carpet floor... ( my ex-mother in law can give a sample)

a colorful boa or fur scarf from the fashion of the time ...

a lipstick mark or golden stick from Chanel to scale...

other ahem again ...

and ...

as for Codger's mark,  loose black tie papillion, or a Bing Cosby / Al Capone two color tap dance shoe 

going back to the darling starlets paraphenalia...

ok i stop here ... and leave the rest of so many other classy but decadent ( and even less classy) options to your "scoundrel' and 'rapscalion' imaginations...:whistle::angel:

Edited by sharknose156

Yikes !!

Have I spawned a cadre of misguided souls ?? Have I led the pure astray with my 1/8 scale fantasy? I will be barred from the forum if not tarred and feathered.

Dear Roy, that's a lovely idea if I send a substitute to the store ( like oh -- Daniel Craig) saying 'Hi, I'm Codger'. NO ONE wants to see me or a smaller likeness of me, including those in proximity here. My name is not only 'Codger', it's also my description. If I can get Scarlett Johansson to hop down to that store dressed in slinky starlet attire - well maybe. Why shouldn't she jump at the chance?

And dear Sam, I'm beginning to worry of you. You want I should scatter garments, lipstick and Lord knows what else around my stately Rolls. That would turn it into a 'Tramp Steamer' (pun intended) and children would not be allowed to view it.

I want you gents to take your medicines and have a lie down for a bit until this fever passes. For my part, I will refrain from lascivious rumination and discussion.

But thank you dears for making this a wonderful discussion thread. Back to work on those headlights.

--And Roy, I did not forget your warning those many months ago when you cautioned me about the fit of the light posts into the fender openings. I had to gently open them 3 drill sizes to get them right and avoid damage. Bless you...

C

• Like 1

On ‎30‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 10:31 PM, detailjunkie said:

Just started the venture of getting everything together and have done the inventory thing of just a few missing pieces.

I will defiantly start a thread soon.

I appreciate any criticism and guidance.

I have built many 1//25 models but nothing like this.

Always wanted one for many years, so hear I GO!

Happy to have you here. There's always something to learn for all of us (including you, the builder).

Be sure that many will be following what you are doing and will give asked and unasked advice and comments.

Don't mind the constant shadow behind your back. That's just this friendly lot following you in every step.

• Like 1