A BIG Rolls Royce

33 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

What about one of those new type of folding hard tops that automatically goes into the boot (trunk) when you press a button??? :lol:

I purposely shortened the trunk, er - boot, so I wouldn't have to make one...:nono:

Edited by Codger

Is the leather buckle functional - will the "solar shade" be rolled up?  I do hope you incorporate the functional hard top convertible in the next rolls Mr C. Perhaps with some ground effects lighting too. The 2020 rolls to go with this one 

1 hour ago, rjfk2002 said:

Is the leather buckle functional - will the "solar shade" be rolled up?  I do hope you incorporate the functional hard top convertible in the next rolls Mr C. Perhaps with some ground effects lighting too. The 2020 rolls to go with this one 

Yes it is and yes it is already rolled up.

You guys are taking this top thing to new and zany heights ! See what I did there?? I have just completed the last bit of brass - the rear window frame - and it will go for chrome. When it comes back - ONE picture of it in place then NO ONE will see above the coachline ever again....:nono:

Oh and there WILL be Pocher Beatings unleashed on you miscreants when those classic Bugattis and Benzes come out of hiding and mothballs.Trucks indeed... Heh, heh, heh....:angry:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

Time to be serious again...

An ace piece of 'Pochergeneering' Mr C.

Oh - forgot to say - I hope those tyre valves work properly... :P

They do Mr R. But I forgot to empty those ash trays in back. Those pesky starlets.....-_-

I just want to say...

All the good wishes and banter along the way have been an unexpected bonus to building my Sedanca.

I have learned something now after the years spent developing this thing. And it's that a Pocher classic can develop a personality of its own. It doesn't just sit on a shelf after completion, it takes the mind back to another era in time and a sense of history. It exudes a timeless persona and becomes a focal point wherever it is displayed.  Pochers are large enough to convey that stuff with detail and authority.

Getting into the stage where it all begins to come  together is exciting and to finally see what the heck I've tried to do. Developing fantasies about starlets, spit-and-polish mechanics or obedient bellhops has been part and parcel of the fun for me. And carried me through the rough spots when I bit way more than I could chew.

There are several Alfas, Bugattis and Benzes (where are my Rolls mates??) on the horizon here which are clearly unique windows back in time and they're being built by guys who know how to bring that out. Very exciting to see.

This is why I truly urge all who've considered a Pocher classic to dive in and get a dream started in plastic and metal. Concoct your own idea of how things were or should have been with classic vintage automobiles. It's enormously rewarding.

C

EDIT: That blue thing below was also my project that exuded personality. Rather like a chunk of plutonium - very unpleasant but no one could look away...

Edited by Codger
  • Like 2

Very well said Mr. C

Pocher picked a beautiful set of cars to model 40+ years ago.  It is exciting to see what builders can do with these kits these days. Even an out of the box build exudes personality. What you have done as well as others like Wayne, Keith and Roy is to take it to a whole new world

• Like 2

The Last Detail...

--For the top that is. Here is the brass window frame, already sent for chrome. Its dimensions are 60 x 7 x 4.5 mm's by .020 thick. Plexi to be added after chrome. The fabric is left slightly over size at the opening then just press fit in, partially in this view. It is just deep enough to meet the headliner inside. The hole (for hanging in the chrome tank) and seam are at the top to be invisible in place.

900M_zpsstn6ji7a.jpg

901M_zpsb59zvt1z.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

I was wondering how you were going to form the window frame. I didn't think it was going to be with a flat bar but, nice job and it looks good in place.

Explained to me by Dave and Marvin. Thanks; where is that BENZ completion???

12 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

It's just sitting here for now while I work on getting my Alfa started. I'm making some good progress on it just not sure that I want to start a build thread on it. I doubt anyone is really interested in Pochers all that much 

You are mistaken, Wayne !

55 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

It's just sitting here for now while I work on getting my Alfa started. I'm making some good progress on it just not sure that I want to start a build thread on it. I doubt anyone is really interested in Pochers all that much 

Who cares? At least 6 of us are hounding you. The value is to share your ideas and get feedback and advice from the small bunch that does care.

Roy F.

Rich

Keith

Ron

Thierry

Codger

Plus a few other smaller big scale builders.

Edited by Codger
  • Like 1

@larchiefeng Don't worry, there will be an audience. I of course can only speak of me, but I am pretty sure there are lots of people just like me:

I have never tried a big scale model, I am not even close to the levels many of you around here achieve. A rolls? Not of any interest to me.

But still I do follow along! I would follow aircraft and ships and sci-fi and everything else being built as well, if only I had enough time to do so. In every single WIP thread I find little tricks and lots of pictures that make their way into my building techniques. It is not only about the model you build, neither the make. It is about sharing the progress, the way things are achieved and the general joy of seeing something being built. The joy of learning!

Getting few comments does not mean few followers. Again, I can only speak for myself: I only add something to a thread if I have something with enough weight to say. If I don't I simply stay quiet and enjoy.

So, if it is another Pocher (and, yes, I get the feeling they are a bit over hyped), I would again follow the build and enjoy every step you document. You may only notice the follower counter going one up, as I probably wouldn't be able to say anything else than "wow". Most times I don't even care to hit that one - I simply forget and do read every new posting in the vehicle subforum anyway.

Please. Share!

Jan

Edited by Schwarz-Brot
  • Like 3

Agree with the above.  I look at every single post (often with awe), but other than offer encouragement, I have little to add.  But it's valuable and I'm learning lots of things!

All understood gentlemen, these are not everyone's cup of tea. But encouragement, support and especially constructive criticism is always appreciated, especially for the effort to post these things here. Gaining perspective (pro or con) on what one is doing always has value.

For instance, this thread had just passed 900 pictures since inception - that's A LOT of time and effort to present for sharing methods...:o

• Like 2

You are correct.  It is a huge effort, so here go a couple of my takeaways from this:

1.  Your method of rethinking each piece a few times has led to a much better model than if you'd used my method (going forward until I get a reasonable result from the method I chose to begin with).  I think that's probably the great strength of this build and the reason it's looking so good.

2.  Your build as well as a couple of other large-scale builds here have actually inspired me to move away from 1/24 and 1/20.  I recently received a 1/16 kit, but even worse, I have the drawing for a 1/8 scale 1906 Renault Grand Prix car's chassis rail sitting on my desk.  I plan to build the thing from scratch, starting with the chassis rail.  My wife's cousin recently took a replica of this car that he built to Goodwood sponsored by Renault (http://autoblog.com.ar/2016/06/27/renault-type-ak-una-artesania-argentina-en-goodwood/), so if I happen to get stuck, I have a great place to go for pictures and advice.  But the fact that I'm embarking on that at all is your fault (well, yours and roymattblack's, on whose threads I also lurk).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gbondoni said:

You are correct.  It is a huge effort, so here go a couple of my takeaways from this:

1.  Your method of rethinking each piece a few times has led to a much better model than if you'd used my method (going forward until I get a reasonable result from the method I chose to begin with).  I think that's probably the great strength of this build and the reason it's looking so good.

2.  Your build as well as a couple of other large-scale builds here have actually inspired me to move away from 1/24 and 1/20.  I recently received a 1/16 kit, but even worse, I have the drawing for a 1/8 scale 1906 Renault Grand Prix car's chassis rail sitting on my desk.  I plan to build the thing from scratch, starting with the chassis rail.  My wife's cousin recently took a replica of this car that he built to Goodwood sponsored by Renault (http://autoblog.com.ar/2016/06/27/renault-type-ak-una-artesania-argentina-en-goodwood/), so if I happen to get stuck, I have a great place to go for pictures and advice.  But the fact that I'm embarking on that at all is your fault (well, yours and roymattblack's, on whose threads I also lurk).

Now hearing this is REALLY constructive! And pleasant! Thanks for sharing my friend. Now looking forward to a thread on your 1906 Renault project.

Make no mistake, I do things over because I'm poking around in the dark here. When I have something to see, I realize I could have done it better / easier / more 'professionally'. So screwing up has taught me more and hopefully spread my envelope.

Discussion like this is as rewarding for me as building this thing. Feel free to do so...

C

PS - Love Cheetahs too but Cobras, well...

I actually have a model of the Cobra that Hel Keck drove to victory in the 1965 SCCA nationals sitting in my office (I'm at work right now). It's built from the Monogram kit and has a nice display case.

The Cheetah, on the other hand, is in a box awaiting its display case!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gbondoni said:

I actually have a model of the Cobra that Hel Keck drove to victory in the 1965 SCCA nationals sitting in my office (I'm at work right now). It's built from the Monogram kit and has a nice display case.

The Cheetah, on the other hand, is in a box awaiting its display case!

I saw that car in person at the 1989 SAAC convention at Charlotte. It was a track rat, driven to the venue in pouring rain from Delaware and heavily raced at the event. I used many detail shots to build my 1:1.

We have much in common!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codger said:

All understood gentlemen, these are not everyone's cup of tea. But encouragement, support and especially constructive criticism is always appreciated, especially for the effort to post these things here. Gaining perspective (pro or con) on what one is doing always has value.

For instance, this thread had just passed 900 pictures since inception - that's A LOT of time and effort to present for sharing methods...:o

Don't get me wrong. I will always comment if I see something that bothers me. This is for sure going to be constructive criticism. Maybe I can only say this or that doesn't look right, but I will try to explain why and if I know how to do something in a different way I will as well always write it down. If I see something that helps me I or I see a posting that is meaningful to me I will hit the like button so you notice.

If there is some information that is excellent I will also write some lines to let you know. If I get the feeling someone needs encouragement and support, I will write some lines - see my posting above, which was exactly meant like that: to encourage larchiefeng to post his build.

So please, don't get the few lines I dropped wrong. There is always more than could be said with a few words. Not being a native speaker only makes it harder.

Another thing, but this is my special situation: There is no way to read every thread completely. To be honest yours, being about a Rolls, wouldn't be on top of my reading list. Nevertheless I started reading at the point it stood at the very moment I joined these forums and try to keep up with everything. Being a relative newbie to the hobby there is not much more I can do than appreciate what guys like you are doing. And you already inspired me to tackle some scratchbuilding. This is something you should be proud of. Guys like you are the fuel that keeps the newbies going.

Edited by Schwarz-Brot
  • Like 1