A BIG Rolls Royce

Things to come...

440Medium_zpse9395a48.jpg

A sample cut from my carpeting. This is taken in natural light in best attempt to see the colors right. It's actually a touch darker, like wine or ruby. The leather is exactly correct in this light - more so than all my other pics.

It came from a dollhouse supplier and is a beautiful texture and has backing. Very easy to cut without frays. The nap is also very scale-correct.

I've found a wood veneer I like and will try to order that soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A note to my Rolls friends...

I have not abandoned this project or this WIP. It's just that life got real serious all of a sudden and my mate requires my full care right now as she recovers from a major operation. It's a gradual process and we're coping best we can. Helping and seeing her improve is my mission and reward.

But I assure you time will permit me to unwind here on my workbench bit by bit. And I'll surely continue to post here.

Thanks for your enthusiasm for my project and concern for my Mrs.

C.

Codger, If I can get my seats looking even half as good as yours. I'll be a happy bunny. I may need your help (when the leather arrives). Your skill is sublime. They look so real! :)

That seat has nothing to do with my skill PC. That gentleman in the que just above you and Foxfriend Larry Waters are completely responsible for what's there. Both are master craftsmen.

Both have generously and patiently supplied their experience, text and drawings while holding my hand every step of the way. Have a look at their WIPs and see what their upholstery looks like. Get your seats half as good as theirs, not mine.

Thanks too to Roy; it feels good to see my old thread up front here again briefly... :blush:

Codger, I have only started reading this build journal of yours and I am suitably impressed with your building and problem solving skills but, your weathering skills and the ability to make this car look as real as the real thing is what most impresses me. I have seen pictures of your engine posted at MMC and thought who would have the balls to take a kit as expensive as these are and make it look like a real used Rolls. That is confidence in yourself and a commitment to stay the course because I know this has been a tough build. I must give credit to Roy as he directed me here to this forum when I asked about his Avantador. And, I am also another Pocher builder so add another to group. Like I posted on the newbie page, I will start a thread on my K91 Merc as soon as I can figure out how to post pictures. Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next installment of the great Sedanca.

• Like 1

Larchiefeng,

Your words are most kind and largely undeserved.

That blessed miscreant Mr. Roy has hooked yet another Pochermaniac into our lair, to my delight. I will most eagerly follow your Benz build as I do all of Roy's prolific big-scale output. I may not have the time to post many comments in yours but I'm sure I will steal -uh- observe and file away ideas. I'm sure Roy too will be a frequent observer.

I'm praying to get good news on the health front so I may uncover the big chassis and tinker again in near term future. Meantime, I'll live the vicarious Pocher life in your work.

Thanks again and get on those photos - it's pretty easy with P'Bucket.

• Like 1

Thanks Codger, I have uploaded the photos to Photobucket and I will open a thread later this morning. I am fairly far along but I will start with some beginning shots so all can see the progression. I have my friend Paul Koo to thank for my progress so far. But I am looking forward to hearing from everybody here and I am sure I will be asking for advice along the way.

• Like 1

I Codger, sorry just read the previous posts. Hope your mate makes a speedy recovery. As to what you said, we all it seems, learn from other people I just happen to learn fron you :) My leather came in the post yesterday. I don't really know what to do with it.. lol I know what I want it to look like in my head.... but don't know how to get there! First off, the leather needs thinning... I've seen a few people on YouTube, slicing leather, no whay I can do that.... I thought maybe scraping a sharp knife across the underside?... Don't know yet... but if you happen to have any ideas?.. Thanks mate :)

I Codger, sorry just read the previous posts. Hope your mate makes a speedy recovery. As to what you said, we all it seems, learn from other people I just happen to learn fron you :) My leather came in the post yesterday. I don't really know what to do with it.. lol I know what I want it to look like in my head.... but don't know how to get there! First off, the leather needs thinning... I've seen a few people on YouTube, slicing leather, no whay I can do that.... I thought maybe scraping a sharp knife across the underside?... Don't know yet... but if you happen to have any ideas?.. Thanks mate :)

Thank you PC.

Perhaps your leather is too thick; I learned that .5 to .6mm is ideal for 1/8 scale. Not sure if too thick for your scale. I do not know how to skive it to get it that thin; mine was originally sourced that way from http://www.pittards.com/

Try a PM to Mr. Roy or Foxfriend Larry; they are the absolute leather experts for big scale. They can advise you best.

Although I have been modelling for years I did not know that such detailed models existed until I found this forum.

I was taken by a photo of a Bentley Blower model and so searching the internet brought me to this incredible build

.I can see the why the cost of these models are high compared to the 1/35 and 1/24 scales but believe it justified.

Keep up the inspiring work my friend I cherish each notification on my mail list.

Ginger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the immortal words of Colin Clive: IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Yes, here's a piddling amount of work spread over weeks. With the slow but continued improvement of my bride, good thoughts for both of us are creeping back. But we have a big fight ahead with the health demons and we take what we can get.

For me, resuming planning of the Rolls has been an occasional respite from the stress.

I left work at the juncture of creating the front seats to compliment the rear but found I was far short on talent and ideas to proceed. So I decided to switch to an 'easier' subassembly which required less time and mess. Here's two teaser snaps to give the idea. The how and what of construction will follow as I find time.

Like the rear seat, I got an 'off-the-path' idea and tried it with the thought I'd scrap it if unacceptable. As the build gets more advanced, my job became to not degrade the previous work with substandard (for me) corner-cutting or hack jobs. This is the same; if ultimately it disappoints, I'll start over with a different idea. What you see here is just trial fit parts and no permanent connection to the kit parts has yet been made. Confession: I'm a burl wood fanatic as you'll see ahead:

441%20Medium_zpsnt7idrjk.jpg

Here's how the 'look' will play together with the other cabin elements. Lighting is difficult to capture the actual natural light colors. The leather is really lighter a bit and the 'wood' is a tiny bit more red. Advise with yea or nay if it appeals and works, as you did with the rear seat. I will gladly scrap it if I'm off-base:

442%20Medium_zpssnrr1rqn.jpg

• Like 2

I am also a fan of the burl wood; it just looks rich and right at home in a Rolls Royce. It's a bit of a shame you lose the matching burl look when the gauge cluster is cut out. What is the source of the burl wood, is it a photo or from a supplier? At any rate it looks real good and I'm glad your wife is doing better. We've missed you and your incredible skills. Looking forward to a continuing recovery. Regards, Wayne

Firstly I hope your bride is still on the road to recovery.

Secondly I have only just returned to modelling after a forty year hiatus.

Thirdly I have just read this whole post from beginning to (not the end) that's still to come hopefully.

Fourthly I can fully understand why you are getting so many views compared to comments. I'd have trouble finding anything constructive to say and just posting "wow" and "outstanding" and "unbelievably good" each time you posted an update wouldn't seem to add much to this thread.

So if you could just take it as read that each time you post an update I'm thinking "wow!" You'll know your efforts have been appreciated.

• Like 3

You gents are incredibly kind and generous with your comments. Those and the well-wishes are hugely appreciated.

I hope to post an update later today with more snaps and explanations.

Thank you all...

• Like 1

Fumbling along...

Here's how and why. The idea was always to use real veneer for a luxury cabin on a continental tourer so I had studied the web and found beautiful sites and samples. I was all set to order a $38 (!) sheet about 10" by 25", .025 thick. I fell for the Amboyna family of burls with their fiery red orange mix. When I went to the site to order, I got a 404 ERROR page. This persisted for several days so I assumed the company went down.

The idea then formed that the images of the veneers were very detailed so the idea to 'cheat' and use an image was born. Actually, stolen from masters like Roy and Larry who made decals of veneer and created smashing wood accents in their cars. With my usual 'if it's junk, I'll do a better thing', I formed a method in my loosely-termed mind. Even I find it ironic that I used real wood (1/64" ply) on the bottom of the floor (only seen in a highway roll-over) but fake paper wood for the world to see. Shows you the state of my mind these days......

Here's the style I wanted seen on a 1:1 P II; beautiful, massive wood instrument panel with (to come) door accents. It's not an exact copy of the Pocher car as they were all custom and varied widely:

443%20Medium_zpsumeocop5.jpg

The key elements to construction are Kodak gloss photo printer paper and .010" styrene. The styrene serves as a backer for the thin paper:

444%20Medium_zpslba3woe5.jpg

Here is the cheesy Pocher IP, sanded flat. Masking tape was used to create a template for the styrene. There are many thin edges and areas so work slowly and carefully. Plus the tape always wants to curl when you remove it. Get it intact and apply to the plastic. Cut around the shape and the openings (my scalpel works best) and a hole punch was just right for the smaller switches:

445%20Medium_zpslbyq2f1i.jpg

Trial fitting with the Pocher frames and dials cleaned-up and fitted for install.The paper is unbacked here so the holes could be made cleanly.:

446%20Medium_zpsllszxdo9.jpg

Cutting the paper reveals the white core so a mix of craft acrylics should be applied to all edges. My look needed orange, red and expresso brown. Just a light wash carefully applied does it. Do the mating edges of the Pocher IP so the corners show no gaps:

447%20Medium_zpsz33lykdy.jpg

Getting closer. This is all trail fit; no glue yet except the paper to the styrene. Use the Loctite gel CA for a no bleed attachment. The lower band of 'wood' shown goes above the IP and below the windscreen frame on an angled section of the cowl. A gloss coat(s) of clear acrylic now on the 'wood'. A shot of gunmetal to add interest to the instrument surrounds. The 'glass' for the central dials was scarred and cracked courtesy Pocher. So a session of polishing cloths, 2400 to 12,000 was rubbed on then 3 dips in Future. Let dry 2 days and handle with gloves when installing. That will be the last step before gluing everything. The framing around the screen will have corners cut to simulate inlays:

448%20Medium_zpsy4q0judz.jpg

Where we're going; the snaps don't capture the vibrant colors. The clear blends the touched-up edges well. I'm thinking I may get away with this. The enlarged image is somewhat too big for scale but with so much cut out of the pattern, it's hardly noticeable. To my eye, it goes well with the gray skin and wine carpet. Opinions?:

449%20Medium_zpsen10ku1p.jpg

• Like 3

I've just caught up with this stunning piece of art! Incredible attention to detail and this just inspires me to get one of these large kits. Then I see the price tag... :(

I'll just be happy to continue to watch this one unfold. :popcorn: