A BIG Rolls Royce

must try some of that putty, is it this the stuff?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Bondo-907-Glazing-Putty/dp/B0002JM8PY

No my friend-not exactly. Yours shows '907' in the lower right corner. Mine reads '801'. The label is almost the same but the minor text is different. I think yours is just a skim putty for surface scratches-mine is 2 part and fills 'minor dents and stone chips'.

Fantastic work here,it looks fantastic.I dont 'talk' too much due to a stroke - just so you know. (also the typos) :banghead:

Nigel, it's great to have you along any way you can. Thanks for being here.

Your work sure doesn't look like you have any difficulties.

Currently adding inner liners and panels for body parts. ALL are modified from how the kit comes. Making it up as I go and fingers crossed. I DO have a nice sturdy, square structure now and that feels good.

Mind swirling with top covering, upholstery, carpet, seat - making ideas. Can't prime the body work as the weather is lousy for it.

Patience required.

Reached a point...

Continuing to the inner side of the body panels-which are horrible. This brittle brown plastic comes pre-broken in some of the thinnest areas so you have to improvise. I made neat cuts in non structural areas so they will attach as smaller bits. I paid a lot of attention to the joining of these inner structures to the outer body - mainly so the panels will lie flat and be as 'thin' as possible to allow for the coming upholstery thickness.

Seen here is the piece that goes under the door opening. The inner is straight and brittle, not matching the curve of the outer body and floorboard. So working the heat gun carefully, I tempted fate and bent it to match-and got away with it-twice! Heavily clamped and CA'd multiple times:

420Medium_zps7e5443e4.jpg

Here is the rear inner panel over the wheel arch. I opened the screw holes (which I will glue not screw) and used 1/16" styrene to get good flat contact with the outer body shell. Again, this sinks the panel in and allows upholstery thickness:

421Medium_zps08513570.jpg

Here's a sort of cut-away of the assembled shell. The driver side is not attached but the central roof, pass. side body and door (taped in) are fixed to the floor. That's very easy and sturdy to do now that I sorted a better clamping system for the floor / body join. Seen placed here is the Pocher rear seat shell. I may use it as the base for the seat I will eventually make. I've been studying 1:1 passenger compartments to see which style seat I will copy errr... replicate. Will probably use basswood or balsa for the seat areas:

422Medium_zps9093dfc2.jpg

At this juncture, life is forcing a slight detour in the progress curve. A recent family health scare, now happily resolved, made the Big Rolls the last thing on my mind. That's saying a lot because I love it more than any project I've done other than my 1:1.

A much more pleasant delay is coming; family from across the country will spend 10 days of Christmas with us and it's very welcomed.

To my friends, supporters and viewers, I promise that I have not 'lost interest' in the Rolls; it's just under a dust cover right here next to the (now cleaner) bench. I see it every day and in fact, have gathered vital materials for completion.

I've made decisions and now acquired (with help and kindness from wonderful Pocher friends) the roof fabric and leather for upholstery of the interior. I'm tremendously excited to test my skills again past my limits to get those looking 'right'.

Indeed, the sharp-eyed among you may detect some silver marker dots on the body work which hint at the next 'off-the-beaten-Pocher-path' zaniness I'll attempt. Suggested by a dear friend and Pocher expert builder, I will attempt what he can do with his eyes closed. I can't wait to get back to work. Hope you all stay interested.

Meantime, I'll be on board here frequently to chat and enjoy all the work you all do:

423Medium_zps96cb46c6.jpg

• Like 1

How come your cutting mat is so blinkin' clean????

Roy.

:winkgrin: :winkgrin: :mental:

I get asked that a lot on the US board!

I secretly have a phantom builder do the work and then bring the parts home and pose them on my bench!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

Real reasons:

A. The room is tiny for this big lump.

B. When I make cuttings or sanding dust, I must clean and vac before finished parts (paint or trim) can be assembled on the same bench.

C. I'm a Felix Unger neat-freak and hate working in gritty / snotty areas.

D. All above.

And remember it's so small in here because I have two 34" card tables on either side of the bench and room; one to hold the main chassis structure and one with parts / reference sprawled on it.

That's why madness is always part of my work............ :banghead:

I'll be waiting on updates when I return from my visit across the pond for Xmas and New Year. Happy Christmas to you and yours and all those on this forum!

Ian

To my forum friends,

A serious health situation has been discovered and my wife's health has been affected. Just today we received some very encouraging news but we have a ways to go with hospitalization and recovery(s).

We're not out of woods yet but live in new hope.

I want you to know that my work on the project will continue as the situation (hopefully) improves and I will continue to update this thread.

I will continue to peek at the forum to divert from the recent stress overload. Your great work on display is a good tonic for me.

Thanks to all who care and supported my work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pocher friends,

While adjusting to a new way of daily life, I've begun to plan my next step in this project. It's a pleasant diversion from the serious side of things now - as is viewing this forum and your great projects. It has proven to be the most difficult as I just can't visualize how to proceed as easily as the rest of the build presented itself.

As a 'soft landing' I decided to build and upholster the seats next. I have collected 1:1 reference shots and selected the type seats I want in the car. Been wrestling with how best to make them.

I dug out some old balsa and basswood (still in dry, clean condition) and will only use the Pocher rear seat shell to construct the rear 'sofa'.

I did some layout on the balsa but I now only work in brief spurts compared to the hours I've spent in the past. But I uncover the big chunk and it's nice inspiration to continue.

No pics yet but when I've something decent to show, I will.

I must say years ago I was going to buy one of these kits I can only say judging by yours and roys Stirling work I had a lucky escape I thought when paying that kind of money for a kit, it would be perfect. I could not dream of producing the quality of work you do. Amazing patients which I could not dream of and such skill. Keep up the good work.

I must say years ago I was going to buy one of these kits I can only say judging by yours and roys Stirling work I had a lucky escape I thought when paying that kind of money for a kit, it would be perfect. I could not dream of producing the quality of work you do. Amazing patients which I could not dream of and such skill. Keep up the good work.

I'm sure that Mr. C - and myself - really don't intend putting anyone off these kits.

The older Pochers really are amazing.

Yes, you need to work on them - but surely that's what our hobby is all about.

There is NOTHING about these kits that anyone here couldn't do.

Mr. C and myself enjoy going 'potty' and adding extra's - but you really don't need to.

The only caveat I would add though, is to get the build DVD's.

They make the whole build a joy.

If you've ever been tempted to have a go at a big project - GET ONE.

You really won't regret it.

Roy.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and kindness.

Roy is absolutely correct; we don't wish to deter anyone from them. Just the opposite in fact. He states it perfectly.

Now Roy is clearly at a higher level than 98% of us here. But I am truly a pretty average modeler with maybe an inordinate amount of patience. Plus I'm good at stealing skill ideas from guys like him. :closedeyes: If I can get through one of these anyone can.

Remember, Roy cranks these out as masterpieces very quickly. I have yet to complete this one and there's every possibility it will finally turn out a stinker. Compliments are nice but reserve final judgement...

Hi Codger.

Mine is now finished, apart from the coach lines on the body. I must admit to feeling more than a little glad it is finished. Saying that, I certainly would not wish to put people off of building one, indeed, even opening the box for the first time is pretty mind blowing in itself! I have always wanted to build one from the first time I read about them back in the early seventies, and I am glad that I have now achieved it. But personally speaking, I couldn't tackle another one, the eighteen month's it has taken me to build was torture and pleasure in equal measures, and the fact that the prices continue to rise is another reason why I shall be stopping at the one.

Rest assured that I will be posting some pic's on here once it is fully completed, hopefully later this week.

Best Regards,

Larry.

Some movement...

-but not at the previous pace. I chose to build and upholster the seats instead of the tedium of intense detail, thinking it would be a reprieve. Boy was I wrong....

Despite some input from previous Pocher builders who've done 'non-standard' interiors, this is coming more difficult to me than other obstacles I've figured out. So I starting building a 'test mule' rear seat, thinking I could scrap it as the problems arose. Most of this has been a WAG as far as dimensions and materials.

So here is the 1:1 Phantom Continental rear seat I chose. Figuring it's not TOO difficult and should be doable for an upholstery dummy like me:

424Medium_zps51320bfc.jpg

I had previously sourced a medium charcoal, .5mm thick kid skin and a stock of balsa planks and boards. By eyeball, I decided the Pocher plastic seat back and base needed to be cut on the 'arm rest' sides to lower them. So I did the math to fit the 15 pleats of the seat back in place. I raised the back edge on my back rest plank to end just below the rear window edge as I like that close-coupled look. I rounded the top edge as I saw the 1:1:

425Medium_zps035250d3.jpg

Roughed into the plastic seat shell. The rounded top edge not added yet:

426Medium_zps561b7dc0.jpg

Remember, at each juncture, I was prepared to throw this away and start again. But so far, no harm done. Wanting a plush feel and look, I cut up some thin shell foam and CA'd it to the pleats:

427Medium_zpsb545ca49.jpg

A better look:

428Medium_zps5ef89151.jpg

What I had overlooked in this process is that I wanted a soft seat with depressions from seated patrons in the leather. I should have contoured the planks before applying foam. But again, thinking I was wasting time anyway, I kept going. At worst I'd waste 28 sq. inches of leather (gasp...). All the professionally built Sedancas I've seen have ram-rod straight seat backs which I think is not 'natural'. Reason is that many of them use MMC resin seats. Beautiful upholstery, just not as 'life like' I think.

But before that I was bright enough to test the adhesives that might work. Sure enough, thin CA immediately stained through to the finished side. I knew contact adhesive would be too quick with no room for error. I tested my fave, Loctite super gel CA and no bleed through and a bond that left a bit of positioning time. I read that Pacer Bondini would work as well too.

So I cut the leather and began in the center. I used my thin MM ruler to press the skin into the groove between two pleats. Worked great. So I alternated left and right, adhering into the grooves. But I soon saw a dummy problem; I didn't cut the skin wide enough; those slots really eat up leather. I would fall 2 pleats short on each side. Throw away and start again??

Pushed my luck and 'let in' enough skin on one side to cover. The key was getting the mating seam to not stand higher or show glued edge. Got away with it on one side and have not yet done the other. But I will and maybe I can actually use this in the car. The top pleat edges will be stretched and glued in place if the side addition goes well. I'll have to cut the center pleat near the bottom to inset the center arm rest. Then make the base and two separate seat cushions. Gotta figure those out first.

What say - should I can this and start over??

429Medium_zps320569f2.jpg

• Like 1