A BIG Rolls Royce

19 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

@Codger That's extremely immature indeed... I never do these kinds of dryfits :D Honestly! :D *

Seriously your reply makes all the sense I need to be reassured, if that were even realistically necessary**. 

Well my friend here's the offending portal in question. I hope I remedied the awkward part you found earlier in the thread. This ends my crude attempt at coachbuilding and was the best I could manage. :shrug:

1046M_zps9iezrp2s.jpg

• Like 3

If that was just a moulded piece of plastic it would be very nice, but knowing what you put into building it, it's bloody gorgeous! Which is a good thing, because if it wasn't, it would look very out if place!

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger, please don't finish this masterpiece yet...and the little lady is comfortable in the box, so why take her out of her sleep?

:D:D

Thank you for the sentiment...But I HAVE to finish it before IT finishes ME. :suicide:

I'm neither dragging this out nor rushing to the display case just yet. Still some small baubles to add, tidy things and attach the big bits with hinge pins. And I have to make tiny sunglasses for the Little Lady so the light doesn't hurt her eyes. :wub:  So some time remains.

Edited by Codger
  • Like 3

A critical success - so far...

I'm sure you're all tired of seeing what looks like the same photos over and over - but these are actually different. They are the completed driver side hood panels, down and locked and opened and up. Getting the geometry and placement right was a huge challenge for a guy that flunked geometry. They are the last steps in the evolution you've suffered through of the gestation of the critical nose of the car.

Critical because they are what makes a vintage, classic Phantom the legend it remains today. Almost a trademark - arrow straight, flawless, symmetrical metal work. To me it was vital to get those reflections, gaps and joints right as best I could. So far with one side done, I'm satisfied. :frantic::yahoo:

Clear going on the passenger side top panel very soon and we'll see if I remain lucky.

1047M_zpskrrwxp1t.jpg

1048M_zps0ouehr7z.jpg

Turns out you can see some engine detail I fretted over so many months ago...:coolio:

1049M_zpshidyvvgv.jpg

1050M_zpsk7pis0s3.jpg

• Like 5

Stunning work as usual sir.  I continue to be amazed that those hood panels are hand made and not from the pocher mold!    Also it's great that all your wonderful engine detailing is so accessible. You have an important decision to make soon - display with panel up or down 

Not bad....for a 'beginner' I guess :giggle:

Wonderful workmanship....from a true forward thinker....your vision evolves Mr C.....and what a vision it is.....very envious my friend :worthy:

Much respect

Ron

2 hours ago, silver911 said:

Not bad....for a 'beginner' I guess :giggle:

Wonderful workmanship....from a true forward thinker....your vision evolves Mr C.....and what a vision it is.....very envious my friend :worthy:

Much respect

Ron

Nothing for you to envy friend; I consider your work a level up from mine. but the thought is appreciated. Not everyone appreciates or agrees with my vision but I take solace in the fact that I did get it out as I dreamed it.

It has given me great satisfaction to this point and lots of memories ahead.

• Like 3

The Spirit of Ecstasy...

Or 'Ellie In Her Nighty' as we Rolls owners refer to her..:king:  But I learned that the true Spirit of Ecstasy is what one feels when completing an extreme build of a Pocher classic. Here Eleanor is in all her beauty, guiding the path of my Gentleman's Express.

1051M_zpszgwjcnxr.jpg

Yes the day has finally arrived when all the bits are in one place with permanent (or removable) units all together on four wheels.

1052M_zpsy972ulvn.jpg

1053M_zpszcsjg7qb.jpg

1054M_zpsiryy0itc.jpg

These are just hasty photos, snapped in the excitement of completion. The portraits for posterity will come after a case and a photo backdrop are completed. I will continue to add those constructions right here in this 3+ year-old thread.

1055M_zpsn3s3gxcr.jpg

I would be remiss were I not to thank so many who made this a magical experience for me. To David Cox of Detailed Model Cars, my deepest gratitude for the techniques he shared with me and the wonderful parts he fabricated to my wishes which set the model aglow. Thanks too to Marvin Meit of Model Motorcars Ltd. for the beautiful bronze, brass, resin, stainless, rubber and chrome parts he makes for these cars which are like Crown Jewels . Many are seen in these shots.

I must also express my gratitude to the moderators here for allowing my work to drag on for over 70 precious pages of bandwidth. In that vein, I thank you, the forum members who found this all entertaining, valuable, or laughable. Your questions, advice, and support have made this much more than opening a model box and slapping glue on plastic. Very often I have changed my mind or direction based on thoughts expressed by caring and expert modellers. This thread has brought me a few very dear friends and I would be fortunate to keep them.

Should any Pocher builders or RR builders in particular find the construct information of value, I will compose a list of parts fabricated and purchased as well as the modifications herein.

Simply, 'thank you' to all and more to come!  :kissing2:

1057M_zpsd12bjtov.jpg

1056M_zpsge7smkbu.jpg

Edited by Codger
  • Like 13

Congratulations on completing this car. As said, she wouldn't be done justice if called 'a model' and she certainly isn't a kit anymore after all those modifications. It looks simply fantastic.

I could make the standardized joke about trying to pour some gasoline in the tank, turning the switch and expecting the car to run, but in all honesty it looks so much true to life that with a bit of nice Photoshop background work you could trick most people into believing this car is real. Most... except for us followers of course because we have been given proof of the opposite; such proof consisting of elaborate, useful, educated and unforgettable advice and how-tos. 

That makes this car your gift to yourself and this thread your gift to us. The result of this build is therefore a double gem. The thread will act as a source of knowhow about painting for example, for the undersigned; and I am sure many of this forum (look at all who have registered themselves as follower of this thread) will make good use of this database of techniques as well. 

And now I think I can speak for many to ask the question "do you have a next project in mind?"...  

• Like 3

It has been an incredible journey Mr C and I'm glad you shared it with us.  Congratulations on the stunning build.  It is really beautiful and captures the goal you set out for several years ago.  We all can't wait to see the final pics.

I would like to second what Roy said and thank you for sharing this thread with us.  The knowledge you shared with the forum has been incredible.  I have learned a ton following this, particularly on painting and scratch building.  Following along has made me a better builder and has inspired me to do more with my cars.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rjfk2002 said:

It has been an incredible journey Mr C and I'm glad you shared it with us.  Congratulations on the stunning build.  It is really beautiful and captures the goal you set out for several years ago.  We all can't wait to see the final pics.

I would like to second what Roy said and thank you for sharing this thread with us.  The knowledge you shared with the forum has been incredible.  I have learned a ton following this, particularly on painting and scratch building.  Following along has made me a better builder and has inspired me to do more with my cars.  

Yes for sure this is a piece of art!

Amazing detail and beauty. Be proud, be very proud.

I'll have to figure out how to add pictures and let you see where I am at since Ive started my RR.

Love working on it when I get the chance and amazing help from this blog Codger.

Thank you very much for this!

• Like 1

Mr C...putting your Flying Lady  on the top of the Rolls's radiator marks probably  the end of this thrilling adventure, but I hope you will continue to amaze with the best-in-class quality and beauty of your builds.

Thank you very much my friend for having shared with us your joys and sorrows, your doubts and certainties, and for your incredible sense of humour

CC

What a stunning result. Having watched this from a slightly grimy and rusty crankcase to the little flirt on the rad cap, it has been a pleasure and an experience.

I don't build many cars, and will never own a Pocher or a Rolls, but it shows what a true Master can achieve. Perhaps I should break out a car kit next.

Well....one things for sure....you took ya bloody time! :waiting:

All in all....a lesson for those of us who have followed this journey to it's final destination...and what a ride.

There are no more superlatives....so let me express myself in a word exactly how I feel about this work of art....but most of all....it's creator.....

Respect MrC

Ron

33 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Well....one things for sure....you took ya bloody time! :waiting:

Ron

Amateurs have to - especially on the world's stage such as this. If I didn't have to make so many 'do-overs' I'd be on my fourth one by now!:frantic:

You have all been so exceedingly generous with your kind remarks that this is truly icing on the cake. Early on, I had no idea this would wind up a  success, or even a completed Pocher, at all. And certainly no idea of the number of friends made and the warm reception to my brainstorm.

To all who took the time to share a kind thought, THANK YOU; I have been blessed by your presence. :worthy:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tone1980 said:

Absolutely stunning craftsmanship mate! :D

I wish I'd got the patience for a project like this 

Whatever will you do next? :)

Drink heavily until my nerves steady and I stop shaking. :drink:

And thank you too for the thought...

so the Master has decided to finish this MASTERPIECE ... great day :cake:and sad day i must say :(.  Like a good book coming to an end.

Dear Codger, please start asap a new project :please: ??  

• Like 1