A BIG Rolls Royce

Lights and horns...

Front dress finally complete. The MMC headlight shells are beautiful but their tri-bars and lenses are very difficult to handle and install while keeping immaculate. The parts are delicate. No excuse now, have to solve the hood dilemma. Smaller troubles are installing the spotlight and reinstalling the windscreen.

All the lights are installed but none are functional which will surely disappoint those who install the working deals. I know my limitations and I didn't want a 'touch-me' feature to operate them on the car.

Just a pretty face I'm afraid...

989M_zpsojksbg6o.jpg

990M_zpsmx74lafk.jpg

991M_zpshzejcmhh.jpg

992M_zps3819lzlj.jpg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Codger said:

Lights and horns...

Front dress finally complete. The MMC headlight shells are beautiful but their tri-bars and lenses are very difficult to handle and install while keeping immaculate. The parts are delicate. No excuse now, have to solve the hood dilemma. Smaller troubles are installing the spotlight and reinstalling the windscreen.

All the lights are installed but none are functional which will surely disappoint those who install the working deals. I know my limitations and I didn't want a 'touch-me' feature to operate them on the car.

Just a pretty face I'm afraid...

989M_zpsojksbg6o.jpg

990M_zpsmx74lafk.jpg

991M_zpshzejcmhh.jpg

992M_zps3819lzlj.jpg

That's a full blown WOW! from me....so difficult to find the 'superlatives any more....all been used so many times....and rightly so my friend.

Simply a masterclass in Pocher building.

Much respect

Ron

• Like 6

True esthetic beauty,

what harmony, beautiful colors including the metals contrasting with the car body. Magnificent.

Also, there is a natural and realistic overall balance to it all the way to the little details, which radiate a technical mastery to the millimeter. 

Gents, your acceptance is an honor, but I object on this basis; I am doing no more wonderful work than either of you do, daily.

I have no more mystical magic powers than a great many of you, especially both Roys, David, Poul, Thierry, Keith, Wayne, Dan and all who all build marvelous scratch builds and Pochers. I'm just glad to be accepted into such august company.

It's really nice to have peers admire your work and it's made discussion here a pleasurable part of the whole build experience. :worthy:

• Like 5

Mr.Codger..

:wub::yikes::heart::wow::hypnotised::worthy::worthy::worthy:

STUNNING....  GORGEOUS... it really is EXEMPLARY  build. 

and A REALLY BEAUTIFUL  ROLLS ROYCE to look at.

Very IMPRESSIVE  and very Real.

Thank you  for an ASTOUNDING build for ME to look at and drool over. 

:mike:

{I LOVE it but I have no LIKES left }

:(

this Has to Be MY FAVORITE Vehicle  build!:yikes:

• Like 1

Hi codger. Have not been on this site in a long,long time, but glad to see how this terrific build is coming along. It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway,

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

2 hours ago, foxfriend said:

Hi codger. Have not been on this site in a long,long time, but glad to see how this terrific build is coming along. It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway,

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

Dearest Larry! It is SO good to hear from you again!

I know you had discomfort seeing the early shenanigans I perpetrated on this poor thing. But I've stuck it out to (near) the bitter end.

You have been enjoying seeing your beautiful Sedanca everyday while I kept making sawdust out of mine. But even though I couldn't make you understand what I was trying to accomplish, I am thrilled you came back to see if it sunk or swam. This was my vision then.

You are still hands - down the upholstery king of the site and that's saying something. Several of the Pocher Boys have done gorgeous interiors.

I've still a ways to go here with the hoods being the last major fabrication. So I hope you'll pop in from time to time. Thank you and thanks to the Lads who've made the previous generous comments.

Best regards,

C

• Like 1

More details...

While battling with hood fabrication I decided on a break to install some fun stuff. So back in went the umpteenth new windscreen and frame and the MMC wipers. Without mishap this time. The wipers are beautifully made and chromed but the rubber blades were terribly out of scale. So I made new from the shrink tube I used as door / window insulation.

The hood is being very difficult and what you see is probably the first of many tries.

995M_zpsywxpqjko.jpg

994M_zpskr1a4tvu.jpg

993M_zpsv7yhec2t.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I can be dumb...

As you saw, I had convinced myself that I would fabricate new hood panels. That proved to be a long, frustrating and futile exercise. I tried different materials and thicknesses and substructures to support them. With each, I found that I couldn't get them to match the grille shape and rest completely closed. Also, attaching supports to the skins was very problematic. This went on for weeks actually.

At a mental standstill, I decided to re-study 1:1 Phantom hoods. I discovered I was making things too difficult.

In a nutshell without great story-telling, here is the solution; I would use the original sturdy kit hood panels, modified cosmetically as needed. The first shot shows 6 of the nine panels I made and could not get to work. Four are different plastic thicknesses and the two in front are ~.012 ally. Three other panels were discarded for damage while bending.

996M_zpslylrnhxp.jpg

Here are the kit panels in place, perfectly closed at rest. They need material added in width and to get the edges full size but that will be far easier than what I went through.

997M_zps2wytxi2f.jpg

And here is the culprit; the bushing I made for the hinge pin is too tall. Removing and replacing with a shorter one allowed the front of the hoods to rest right behind the grille shape. Anyone wishing to make their own hood panels, PM me and I'll discuss what's involved - I'm an expert now...:suicide:

998M_zpsp1temtl5.jpg

• Like 4

I guess sometimes the first solution is the right one. The kit hoods look to be pretty close to fitting your customized front.  I was expecting them to be short by 5mm or something Iike that. Looks like you have a date with plastic strips and bondo coming up!

• 2 weeks later...

Once again...

The sizeable delay in updating my work is sadly due to medical misfortune striking our small family again.

Just prior to that I had begun to refine the kit hood top panels as described above. Here they are with the kit side trim sanded off and new .040 strips sized to replace them. Filler is seen at the rear edge and unsanded filler is seen in previous but now unused holes at the hinge area. Hinges for the side panels have been made workable and will be trial fit as the next step in the process. But work has ceased for two full weeks now.

So the project has not been abandoned; It's therapeutic but I have no time or mindset at present to relax at the bench.

1000M_zpsrqnmkznf.jpg

Hope all is well again with the family.

Great work by the way, and i hope the bench helps clear your mind a little. It does to me.

look forward how the edges will be perfectly painted with no seam apparent.

If the feeling isn't there it's always best to leave well alone. We can wait, take your time, and all the best for your family.

Ian

Dear Codger, I sincerely sympathize with you, and hope all these troubles come quickly to an end.

I encounter great difficulties and sorrow with my parents health actually and have been less present on the forum, but it's a reality that modelling allow to soothe the pain and forget for a moment daily troubles.

All the best for you and your family

CC

I wish to thank you all for the incredibly kind wishes. The situation here has developed into a whole new way of life for my small group as there will not be material improvement on the medical recovery for months to come.

That said, I have 'forced' myself to turn to my Rolls for small stretches of time between appointments,  chores and care-giving to decompress and divert my fried brain to pleasanter times. Having a plan now to develop the four hood panels and actually getting the top panels near final fit has been accomplished. Spent a lot of time perfecting fit and minding panel gaps.

A proper update with explanations will be forthcoming as I've taken some snaps along the way. I hope to be posting that soon.