A BIG Rolls Royce

15 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Work of art Mr C! The corners are really impressive - getting it flat like that takes a phd in geometry 

Again too much credit Rich. I DO have a PHD though: Physician of Hacking and Desecrating...:blink:

Getting anxious...

The temptation now with top nearly complete is to rush headlong into unwrapping all the delicious details and stick 'em on. Like the spotlight, wipers, Flying Lady (she'll be last to the party) and all the door windows. Here is the completed top save for the tack strip, rear glass and frame. And various bits in place to judge what I've wrought. Of course miles of work to come like the dash, wheel, w'screen, folding hoods and all the chrome bits due back any day now. It's getting exciting - for me at least.

875M_zps1kjqdq2u.jpg

876M_zpsx4agepjw.jpg

877M_zpszkf2ut6n.jpg

878M_zpseov3afyh.jpg

879M_zps1ziqtqwn.jpg

880M_zps9kccpil5.jpg

881M_zpste5uw8z6.jpg

882M_zpsom0gkpov.jpg

883M_zpsnfbnht9k.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Love how this coming together for you. The color combo of paint, carpet, roof and leather is really stunning. What are you planning to do with the rear window? 

Thanks for the support David, Rich and Wayne.

Rich the window will get a brass chromed frame and the same plexi as all the other 'glass'. That's just a rough cut opening in the fabric and the finished piece will just push in, tucking the fabric with it.

Last top details...

Too kind you guys, most appreciated.

This portion of the job was a big chance to trash the model by the smallest mistake and I feared that. Slavish testing of glues, tapes, knives and materials made me brave enough to try it 'live'. That and figuring out an actual method.  It IS a pivotal moment in your build when you may go too far past your skill level and ruin it. You need to assess your bravery when you go off the path.

Huge relief now to be home safe and dry. Still plenty of chance on other less challenging tasks for me to soil the sheets - but the confidence of this part is at work. We'll see.

Only the rear window frame and glass to go back here then onward:

884M_zpsjobfhgnc.jpg

885M_zpshojl6iaf.jpg

886M_zps1lcdgwed.jpg

887M_zpsrdp67bwv.jpg

• Like 5

Absolutely perfect....You're right...the smallest mistake could ruin the whole work because we only see it !

Fortunately, you are fairy-fingered :)

Edited by CrazyCrank

18 minutes ago, Codger said:

I HOPE this is just a complimentary expression...:o

Sorry Codger if my poor english has induced a misunderstanding , I meant you have a great craftsmanship (nimble fingered), so, yes I whished congratulate you :)

What had you understood in "fairy-fingered" ? (if one can find in these words a negative sense, I would like to know it, in order not to use them anymore !)

Edited by CrazyCrank

28 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

What had you understood in "fairy-fingered" ? (if one can find in these words a negative sense, I would like to know it, in order not to use them anymore !)

Do not apologize! it's all good! Just a bit of American slang humor. I appreciate your meaning. Just being my politically IN-correct self...:frantic:

• Like 1

SHOWTIME !!...

A very exciting time for me and a long time coming: The brass came back for chrome plating. And it's beyond my dreams!

Seen here are the roof landau irons, the side vent window frames and the door glass frames. They came back virtually flawless and look like 1:1 OEM trims. Some words of recognition and sincere thanks before my euphoria.

I commissioned David Cox to make the landaus to my specifications and proportions; necessary because of the radical roof cut as the also beautiful Model Motorcar landaus became too big to fit. Although many miles away from me and the model, David made them as perfectly as if he had the car on his bench. The very neat little buckles on the top straps are also his work. I am privileged to have David's running board strips and these parts on my car; all chromed, they are spectacular additions. Small caps will go into the tube ends and center pivot of each. Bit by bit...

Thanks too to Marvin Meit who offers his chroming service for his customers. Marvin treats your parts as though they were his own. And his plating man has done top-notch work on my bits. I just bought the cast bronze headlights from Marvin and the chrome is also spectacular. Wait until you see them. The Pocher stampings look like pig-iron by comparison.

A lot of hard work goes into this but you will get an enormous visual reward if you do it with diligence. Cutting and soldering brass square channel to the right sizes was a steep learning curve for me; indeed I made many of each to get the correct parts. I'm a hacker remember? The key to perfect chrome is what Dave Cox taught me; when you think you've polished the parts enough, polish them four more times!

So I did. And he was certainly right.

These views, although poorly lit to try to get the flash of chrome, hopefully show the proportions and elegant streamlined style I was trying for. Like those Gurney Nutting Phantoms that inspired me.

Now where did I put those Bugatti tail lights ...?

888M_zpsfw18me64.jpg

889M_zpscrszsoll.jpg

891M_zpsdnj9c1np.jpg

890M_zpsc0hv9egh.jpg

892M_zpsluqdrb8i.jpg

894M_zpswbpbkti4.jpg

893M_zpslol0d5vg.jpg

• Like 5