A BIG Rolls Royce

On 09/10/2016 at 2:24 AM, Codger said:

And yes, an Allison-engine Rolls would be outrageous but I had gotten far along before I learned that such things were possible. Oh well, got to see this through to the bitter end...:rolleyes:

Indeed it would be. The next one can be your all-out crazy machine. ;) I doubt that the end of this build will be in any way bitter. Sad maybe, but you'll have an amazing piece of scale workmanship to look at, the satisfaction of a fine job very well done and we will have been fortunate enough to have shared the journey with you.

• Like 1

Showtime...

A long time between updates due to much head-scratching, fiddle-faddling and pure guesswork. But a very major hurdle overcome. The headliner is complete, permanently in place and is playing nice with the long-ago designed and assembled furniture. All in the hopes for a cozy, starlet-friendly cabin.

Designed  'on the fly', making up as you go and trial and fit at infinitum. The headiner consists of two main pieces of plastic to recontour the rather odd-shaped, truncated inner roof. Remember, it's been cut 13mm in front and 6 at the back. Plus Pocher gives you screw bosses and ribs you don't want. The top section is one simple flat piece with a tediously curved back edge. The sides and back are all one piece of .020 plastic cut from many templates and shaped over and over and which curves at the corners. This reduces the area a bit and required narrowing the previously fabricated seat. Many bad vocabulary words were tested here. When finalized and press-fit in place, it was covered with light gray leather, suede side out. The lighter color chosen because it would have no visibility back there with a dark skin.

859M_zps86csxcmh.jpg

The side panels, also from many months back are the same gray leather as the seats with burl wood photo trim panels to mate with the 'wood' door caps. I think the suede imparts a nice nostalgic 'mohair' or mouse fur fabric. I felt glossy leather would have been out of place back there.

858M_zpswip4bp65.jpg

AS mentioned the seat required narrowing due to the corner curves so some sweaty time on the belt sander resulted in the diet seen here. Thankfully, no catastrophies occurred because I have only small scraps of gray leather...

860M_zpsc68p6vsf.jpg

861M_zpssgfq9zqw.jpg

And this is the result. Yes, the head room is low and the leg room generous, all designed to encourage 1932 reclining starlets. Jean Harlow would not complain:

862M_zps6xobgcai.jpg

Here are some views with the seats in place (they plug in) and the inner door panel propped in place. Mercifully, they all seem to harmonize. More (easier) work to be done making front kick panels and dashboard installation.

863M_zpsqnrpd0zk.jpg

864M_zpsobdk96az.jpg865M_zps9aac1fm3.jpg

The door panel pleats were made to be in symmetry with the cowl and hood louver angle.

866M_zpslfp2dbuf.jpg

All-in-all, I consider myself lucky. I'm very far afield now and nowhere near helpful instructions. This is not strictly 'scratch-building' but very close to 'scratch-altering'. The damnable part is that any misstep or poorly executed, highly visible part ruins 2+ years of work. The coming roof outer covering is such an area. Although I dreaded the headliner for many months, it is done and I was lucky. The roof covering is now the new dreaded part. As will be the hood alterations when that comes up. Someone remind me that this is a fun hobby, please?

867M_zpspim7oytr.jpg

868M_zpshkdzhwl0.jpg

• Like 3

Happy to,hear you again, Codger, and it was worth waiting for this update !!!

It's a splendid result of an amazing work !!!

I had no doubt that this release would be FANTASTIC ...love it :wub:

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 2:50 PM, Endeavor said:

As always, just superb.

You also get this year's award for the most courageous use of a belt sander.

I also received the 'Blacksmith' award at the same function...;)

39 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Well worth the wait!

It is a bit "short" in the back, but there's nothing wrong with petite, reclining starlets.....

Ian

Thanks to all for the bouquets. Ian, you have exactly the correct philosophy which was the basis for this scientific work. :wub:

Your requested reminder Codger :  it is a fun hobby.

Look at the celebration of so many craftsmanships here...

Yes mouse grey is perfect here for sure, definitely no gloss...  

did you have to sand the suede ?

The seats' metallic rims come out beautifully.  

My bet that bending them so accurately without a scratch must have also been a time for testing bad words :headphones:

Am not worried about the roof's covering... but folding the leather covering (?) will need more than 10 trials...

Will you first make trials and practice with a mock cloth ?

1 hour ago, sharknose156 said:

Your requested reminder Codger :  it is a fun hobby.

Look at the celebration of so many craftsmanships here...

Yes mouse grey is perfect here for sure, definitely no gloss...  

did you have to sand the suede ?

The seats' metallic rims come out beautifully.  

My bet that bending them so accurately without a scratch must have also been a time for testing bad words :headphones:

Am not worried about the roof's covering... but folding the leather covering (?) will need more than 10 trials...

Will you first make trials and practice with a mock cloth ?

The suede is the back side of the goat skin but a lighter gray than the seats. It has a very nice soft, plush feel.

Yes, the seat trims were - interesting. I used softer brass rod as a 'template' and replicated the bends in the aluminum. Tedious but OK. Polishing them caused them to change shape somewhat so a lot of trial and error.

I AM worried about the roof covering -a LOT! Screw it up and the entire finished coach is junk. Organizing my thoughts on that subject right now. Sure will make test patterns of scrap cloth to test bends and adhesives. It may NOT be a leather cover; I may use gaberdine which is a lovely fabric weave. Lot of testing and eyeballing to find my preference. Lot of looking at finished RR's by advanced builders for good examples to shoot for.

Luck needed; another task I've never done before...

• Like 1

Coming (soon) attraction:

This long delay has been eventful and  here is a teaser of what's to come. The fabric top is well and truly underweigh. It consists of 3 parts; the main center section and both sides of the roof. All have been sized, cut, hemmed and the sides are now attached. The center's edges will overlap the side's top edges slightly. The critical part is cutting  a single dart or slit at the compound curve on the roof top corners. Not for the faint of heart.

Here is the fabric (scraps) just draped in place to give you the idea. The color in person is very close to the body's dark red but will photograph almost magenta in some shots due to the camera metering. But you'll get the idea:

869M_zpshrjtoosj.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Perfect!

Woah! Thanks boys but we're not there yet !!! Creeping up on it however.

I will admit, today I had the unexpected help of an expert in the fabric / gluing /  sewing field. My dearest mate heard my wailings of pain and looked in.  :frantic: She proceeded to bark commands for certain of her tools and sat down and attacked the hugest problem; cutting the slits at the corners of the curves.

I jumped at every order and am thrilled to say her fabric magic gave me what I prayed they would look like.

Full explanation and look soon...:wub:

C

Dear Codger, sorry it is the first time i see something am not sure of here... color looks ok to me but am not sure about the fabric ... on my screen, it looks like thick felt ...this can not be. (?).. in any case as my grandfather used to say, "each is entitled to his own bad taste"...( am being judgmental about myself here not of your choice)

Edited by sharknose156

It's looks a gabardine fabric and has a twill like texture. I was going to use the same fabric in black until I modified the rear body on the Mercedes. I know that there's a couple different types of gabardine and I'm sure Codger can give us more info.

dont know how you manage to do all this work on a model without damaging what you have already done. i am forever scuffing and scraping them and knocking bits off.

Topping off...

To answer some prior questions, here's a closer, near-complete look.

First is GYD-26, from which I gained much inspiration (translation - stole every facet!) for what a real top (although this one folds) looks like:

870M_zps2ndhxcj0.jpg

Here is  a close look at the gaberdine fabric. It has a pleasing (to me) weave and a nice 'body'.  For a man's suit the term would be 'hand'; not a floppy rag but with a workable firmness and lays out nicely. Holes and fuzzes will disappear; they are mounts for the chrome landau bars which I'm hopping up and down for, Yes, there will be a piping edge all around for final finish:

871M_zpsltsidnm0.jpg

The infamous corners. Remarkably lucky for a first effort. Lots of scalpel, razor blade and blood letting action:

872M_zps6li45433.jpg

And here with its toupee placed on. Any wishing the gory details of tapes, glues and methods, just shout. I just didn't want the whole forum bored to tears:

873M_zpsgb9v7zqm.jpg

Again about the color; it's all the lights and exposure, different in every shot. In person, dark cranberry red, all even sides and top (should be, all came off one piece) and pleasing to me with the body red. Couldn't be happier about my luck. The corner slits and a strip across the back as close as I can get to GYD - 26 will conceal virtually all the slits. Some small gathering on the right slit unexplained but I'm just mortal. Tried my best for perfection. Indeed a close look at GYD will reveal some puckers and wrinkles but I'd sure want it in my garage...

874M_zpsvyxxd1qn.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

Hello Chas.

What a beauty.

This must go in the Pocher Museum.

If not, then the Rolls Royce museum.

Failing that - the Beaulieu museum in England.

Too good to hide away on a shelf.

Roy.

Thanks Roy but your Torpedo is museum material , not this George Barris Kustom Kar. :nono:

After all, your has a very expensive dinner jacket top! B)