Another Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11

I missed this for some reason. Excellent build. Can't see anything wrong with the orange. I have this in my stash and am itching to build it. I've just started experimenting with Alclad myself, and will probably follow suit using the aluminium so it's not too bright as opposed to the white aluminium.

Nobby57

Re: your choice of orange. I used the Humbrol fire orange HU 209 on my Gnat as I understand that the rattle can fluorescent orange is a little too bright (some may disagree though).

• Like 2

Lovely job on the Alu finish. Could I ask what you used under it as I find the choice of primer as well as the thickness of the Alclad coat can have a huge effect on the final finish.

Thanks,

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys and tips taken onboard Trenton. Prior to painting I had discussed with my modelling club about applying the fluorescent colour first then the alclad lacquer; this was more to do about acrylic paint on top of the alclad.

@Bennygman; I used alclad II grey primer. I applied 3 layers of primer, sand / polish between each coat. Then 2 coats of aluminium; rubbed down the surface with a kitchen paper towel in between coats ( not sure if this helped in anyway?)

Cheers

Aaron

Thank you for the information Aaron, Trenton Guy and Tomoshenko; I'll definitely spray test the Humbrol orange first.

Thanks also Aaron for details of your process.

Graham

• Like 1

@Bennygman; I used alclad II grey primer. I applied 3 layers of primer, sand / polish between each coat. Then 2 coats of aluminium; rubbed down the surface with a kitchen paper towel in between coats ( not sure if this helped in anyway?)

Cheers

Aaron

Thanks, that makes sense. The grey will have given it that lovely weathered paint look rather than the more shiny metallic look from a black undercoat. I think the rubbing down does help, especially with alclad where smoothness of finish is everything.

Steve.

• Like 1

Lovely model. Can't see anything wrong with that finish.

I've been experimenting with trying to find a good solution for High Speed Silver. My solution was Alclad White Aluminium over Tamiya Grey Primer. It seemed to work.

Day Glo is a very variable colour depending on how freshly painted the aircraft is. After initial application, it seems to fade very rapidly. On real aircraft, I have seen Day Glo finishes that are bright and vibrant and I have seen Day Glo that has faded to almost a yellow. Often you get a transition effect where one section of a Day Glo panel is more orange than other parts.

This was quite prevalant on Luftwaffe aircraft such as Fiat G91s and Irish Air Corps Vampires, Chipmunks and Piston Provosts.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...