GR7s against Iraq (Airfix 1/72 x 2)

Hey, looking good PC B) What's hateful about the Xtracrylics? I've never used them but I like the Xtracolor enamels, always got a nice finish with them.

There a bit like the Curate's egg, unfortunately. Beautiful glossy finish like the enamels when all goes well, but prone to clogging the airbrush (and my elderly, brutish Badger 175 could probably run an intact and still-living beluga whale through it without difficulty), difficult to thin to a good consistency for spraying, and very fragile, so that if you mask it, you almost invariably lose some when you pull the tape up. Almost as hard to get here as Gunze Acrylics, as well.

My wife's out of town this week, and I'm finding myself weirdly sentimental. Apparently the third year of marriage is ranked by many couples as the best, and I believe it; mine has been amazing, and I've endured a deadly dull and tiresome job mainly because I know I'll get to come home to Mrs. Procopius and a fat little hedgehog. Suddenly country music has a strange appeal. It's a terrible thing to become middle-aged in the American heartland.

At any rate, lots more progress on my sky-hedgies: alcladded the blast deflectors or whatever they are behind the after nozzles, although I'm not very impressed with the results. Got the little nose and amidships clear bits tinted and added on. I'm going to clear coat them soon and then decals, the fun bit! Then the nozzles and landing gear.

Also, here's me and Mrs. P; as you can see, I got the better end of the deal:

10406475_818656601492487_144567832942559

IMAG1386.jpg

IMAG1387.jpgIMAG1392.jpg

• Like 3

Nice pic of you and Mrs Pc :)

Harrier is looking good too, can you think of any aircraft that would not immediately look 150% better when decorated with a sharkmouth? Yours is looking stonking... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

10421305_823243924367088_378932047678972

Harrier is looking good too, can you think of any aircraft that would not immediately look 150% better when decorated with a sharkmouth?

Everything looks better with a sharkmouth. Everything.

Everything.

EVERYTH--okay, okay, no, I misspoke. Most things. Moooost things.

• Like 1

My gods that third link is nightmare fuel :boom: and the second link didn't work but the first... :coolio:

I have to say that I think the sharkmouth on the first Harrier compared to the second is a very good illustration of the phrase 'less is more', but they're both coming along nicely :thumbsup2: Are there many acres of stencil decals to apply?

Cheers,

Stew

I have to say that I think the sharkmouth on the first Harrier compared to the second is a very good illustration of the phrase 'less is more', but they're both coming along nicely :thumbsup2: Are there many acres of stencil decals to apply?

Apparently the second one (and I have another, long-ago-built one that resides in the "Goldilocks zone" between these two) was an exercise in one-upmanship with a FAF Mirage F1CR.

There are many stencils, BUT as the first is a 100% LERX GR7 and the Airfix kit only has stencils for 65% LERX GR7/9As or a 100% LERX GR9A in camo, and I was too cheap to buy the TELIC stencils, I'm just picking and choosing based on photos. As for the second, I'm relying on one photo and the fact that it's coated in ARTF (which I've erroneously painted Light Aircraft Grey instead of Barley Grey, NOW IT CAN BE TOLD) to minimize stenciling.

So short answer, just enough to look seemly, but not, like ALL of them.

• Like 1

Looking very good, you can't beat a sharks mouth on a harrier, except maybe with 2 on 2 harriers...

The ARTF harriers would have been 2 tone green underneath so you could use the Camo GR9 stencils, as these are close enough! I think from memory the no step boot markings are actually red but it depends if such things keep you awake at night!...

The ARTF harriers would have been 2 tone green underneath so you could use the Camo GR9 stencils, as these are close enough! I think from memory the no step boot markings are actually red but it depends if such things keep you awake at night!...

Well, only if I know, so now it will!

I think you have proven the sharkmouth theory with these two Proc (at least with planes, perhaps there could be a celebrity corollary).

More research is needed. I'll appeal to my wife for funding.

Everything looks better with a sharkmouth.

I agree 110%. When I built my airsoft close quarters grenade launcher, I hand painted a P-40 style sharkmouth on it. B) Ooooohh... A sharkmouth group build. I think a lot of people would be up for that!

Two things that should never be in the same sentence: "Close quarters" & "grenade launcher" :lol:

Dsc01513_zps99b15ba3.jpg

P.S. When are you going to paint something in hedgehogouflage?

• Like 1

I have to say, I'm a little unhappy with the Airfix decals; they're quite thick and don't seem to be binding or whatever the right term is to the model, despite repeated applications of micro-set and micro-sol. I'm starting to wonder a bit if my bottles -- which are nearly empty -- are losing potency with age. Might have to crack open my reserve bottles.

It might be that the decals are not that good either, Airfix did go through a bad period with theirs... but both these kits are quite new, aren't they?

I don't know what the active ingredients are in Micro Sol and Set, but I suppose they could go 'off' with age... :clif: ... see if your reserve bottles work any better, at least then it will be proven one way or the other :pipe:

Cheers,

Stew

Coming down to the wire here...it's my wedding anniversary tonight, but I'm hoping to make some progress regardless. Just about ready to put on the landing gear and apply a second clear coat, then a brisk Flory wash, then the jet nozzles, and dullcoat, and bang. Stores can wait.

• Like 1

Don't try to rush it PC, something will go monumentally wrong and it would be a shame after all this work; wait until you get back, it won't be going anywhere without the jet nozzles fitted anyway :D

Cheers,

Stew

p.s, happy anniversary by the way :) however the natural exuberance you may feel does not excuse that video :angry:

Don't try to rush it PC, something will go monumentally wrong and it would be a shame after all this work; wait until you get back, it won't be going anywhere without the jet nozzles fitted anyway :D

True...it's just, oh god, the shame of it, not finishing in the GB! I swore I'd never be "that guy".

On the plus side, it turns out a Spitfire XVIII will be at the airshow on Saturday, so I may see one in flight for the first time in my life after decades of waiting. Here's to hoping!

• Like 2

Ah, I see, I didn't realise it was the end of the Group Build already... that was a short one, wasn't it? :huh: Still, I doubt anyone will judge you for it as badly as you would judge yourself, these things happen to all of us sooner or later :closedeyes:

And possibly a Spitfire at the weekend too... I will keep all the relevant appendages crossed for you; hope you have a great holiday PC :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks! Sadly, I'm not as young as I used to be, and at 31, it's harder to play the "may I sit in the cockpit?" card than it would be at say, eight, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! Sadly, I'm not as young as I used to be, and at 31, it's harder to play the "may I sit in the cockpit?" card than it would be at say, eight, but I'll see what I can do.

I'm still playing it at 49! Can't say I've improved much at it since I was eight though. However, one gets less self conscious of making a fool of oneself as the years advance, which can be used to one's advantage from time to time :devil:

Pity you missed the deadline for the GB; but lovely builds though, who can resit a brace of Harriers with shark's teeth... PS hope your lovely hedgehog is keeping your garden free of slugs.