Academy Tiger 1 (first tank)

Hey guys! whilst building my Lancaster, i felt that i needed to build something "plastic" so i thought to do a tank of my liking.

after having to decide between the tiger, a kv1, the jagdpanther, a hetzer or a Churchill i decided to go with the tiger (planning to do the others next).

the kit should arrive tomorrow, is there anything i should know about before going ahead and putting it all together?

i have read about people changing tracks and barrels, any particular reason why? and where can i find replacements if i should change them? paying extra is no big deal, as i would rather it look as good as possible :D

thanks for reading and i shall post some images when it arrives :D

thanks

-lord

Barrel, maybe. Tracks no (it has individual links). Some PE is useful, but not essential unless you want to waste money. Maybe you do, don't know.

Its a nice kit, enjoy it.

the kit is pretty good as it is' the tracks are fine but i would replace the barrel and put some etch grills on the rear deck, as for more etch brass its not really worth it, unless you want a super detailed kit .

regards oz!.

managed to have a look at it before i leave the house.

slightly disappointed as apparently there is two models, one with an interior and one without. i got the one without :(

also the tracks are pre made from rubber so i think i will replace those as well as the barrel.

none the less. its a tank and its on my desk >:D cant wait to get to work with it :D

--## UPDATE ONE ##--

Righte'o lets get cracking :D

started off with step one which was fixing (what i assume is suspension) to the main body. this was a simple process and went easily. there were other minor details to be added here as well such as reinforcements to the chassis etc. As you can see, i filed down the wording on the bottom of the tank. this mentioned that it was an academy tiger 1 at 1/35 1996. but of cause that wasn't there in the war!

IMG_59011_zps1b48d078.jpg

Next up was to work on the wheels. i will do this later on in the build as i plan to prime the tank and spray the wheels separately.

The instructions could have been clearer.. took me the best part of 20 minutes figuring this one out! (until i noticed the diagram on the bottom right)

IMG_59041_zpscc1d6ffa.jpg

Next to do (still working on this part) is the rear body plate (mind my non-tekky tank talk)

i have completed one of the exhausts and the second is in the process. there are more details to add to this part before fitting it to the main chassis.

IMG_59061_zpsc28057e3.jpg

So far the build is going great. No extra plastic anywhere on any of the model other than where connected to frets. all of the details are crisp and so far, im happy! :D

Thanks for reading

-Lordhinton

Edited by lordhinton

--## UPDATE ONE ##--

after finishing the minor detail inside the body of the tank i thought it would only be wise to put the body together rather than adding the minor detail to the body parts separately. i've looked over the instructions and haven't found anything else that needs to be fixed inside or on a single sheet so i went ahead and put it all together :D

the barrel is a place holder until i get hold of a replacement, just looked a little sad without one :D

IMG_59081_zps57dcb6f4.jpg

IMG_59101_zps55694ee0.jpg

The gap on the turret was unavoidable it seams. i tried to put it together without glue, trying to figure out how to remove it but it seams i cant. this will be filled with model filler before i proceed with the turret.

IMG_59111_zpsdbd3677b.jpg

And that's it for now! I think this will be a short build log without the interior, but im not fussed, its the start of the collection! Maybe one day ill go ahead and search for the one with the interior and build that so there's two :D

Thanks for reading

-Lordhinton

Edited by lordhinton

Others may disagree but if as you say "money is no object", I would definitely recommend replacing the tracks with a set of Friul metal tracks. They really do make a difference IMHO, especially on larger tanks. Not just to the overall appearance of the finished model, but when you pick the thing up they give it that extra weight and make it feel more like a minitaure replica and less plastic and toy-like.

Others may disagree but if as you say "money is no object", I would definitely recommend replacing the tracks with a set of Friul metal tracks. They really do make a difference IMHO, especially on larger tanks. Not just to the overall appearance of the finished model, but when you pick the thing up they give it that extra weight and make it feel more like a minitaure replica and less plastic and toy-like.

i plan to change the tracks as the supplied are rubber and don't sit on the wheels at all!. £25 for the tracks isn't bad, but it ends up being pricier than the model its self. they will be replaced eventually, along with the barrel. but first i will concentrate on the rest of the tank before hand :)