Revell 1/48 Tornado-First look.

spike7451

There are aftermarket decals for German aircrafts around, have a look at HaHen's website:

http://www.hahen.info/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_7&sort=2a&page=2&osCsid=7ctjsfuo7ck5bbgg6nn4m5bl01

For an Italian aircraft the situation is a bit more complicated: apart from a Gulf War aircraft included in a Model Alliance sheet, the best option are the Tauromodel sheets. These originally were a bit of a nightmare because each sheet included only roundels or stencils or insignia for a number of aircrafts and to build a single subject the modeller had to buy 3 or 4 different sheets... granted, as a result there were decals not only for a Tornado but also for a number of other subjects, but it was not very practical.

Later Tauro issued sheet 48/567 that finally has everything on a single sheet and gives a choice of 6 aircrafts. Have a look here to see all the decals they made for the Tornado. They also have a commemorative German aircraft

http://www.tauromodel.it/inglese/dec_1_48.htm

Don't forget that Model Alliance also did a nice,relatively simple, Italian special on their sheet 'World Air Power Update 3'...a 6 Stormo/154 Gruppo machine commemorating the 25th Anniversary of Tornado operations with the unit....it can be found on Sheet #MA48-185.

There are aftermarket decals for German aircrafts around, have a look at HaHen's website:

http://www.hahen.info/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_7&sort=2a&page=2&osCsid=7ctjsfuo7ck5bbgg6nn4m5bl01

For an Italian aircraft the situation is a bit more complicated: apart from a Gulf War aircraft included in a Model Alliance sheet, the best option are the Tauromodel sheets. These originally were a bit of a nightmare because each sheet included only roundels or stencils or insignia for a number of aircrafts and to build a single subject the modeller had to buy 3 or 4 different sheets... granted, as a result there were decals not only for a Tornado but also for a number of other subjects, but it was not very practical.

Later Tauro issued sheet 48/567 that finally has everything on a single sheet and gives a choice of 6 aircrafts. Have a look here to see all the decals they made for the Tornado. They also have a commemorative German aircraft

http://www.tauromodel.it/inglese/dec_1_48.htm

Excellent, those are much better decals options, really put off with the provided ones. Ordered myself JaboG 32/33 set and will build this one with those pretty soon. I'm really bad at finding stuff on google,

Don't forget that Model Alliance also did a nice,relatively simple, Italian special on their sheet 'World Air Power Update 3'...a 6 Stormo/154 Gruppo machine commemorating the 25th Anniversary of Tornado operations with the unit....it can be found on Sheet #MA48-185.

Thanks, I had totally forgotten that one ! Mind, I might have forgotten others on the MA sheets, some have so many subjects that it's easy to miss one or two

There's some German and Italian Markings on the 4 plus guide sheet too. If you can find it the MA war on terror sheet has a German ISAF tornado on there too, that's an option I might build as the kit has (I think) the correct recce pod!

Looks like the only thing missing for a Stormo bird is a second "cone" antenna.....fitted on the spine and under the forward fuselage.

There is one on the sprue than has the GAF telelens pod on it .

Andy

Looks like the only thing missing for a Stormo bird is a second "cone" antenna.....fitted on the spine and under the forward fuselage.

Andy

And you'll need to fix the hash job they made of the BOZ pod.....Cannot understand how they got that wrong when they got it right in the 1/32 one...

Andy

It would also depend on the timeframe: the conical antennas were not initially present on the Italian Tornado but were added in the late '80s. I have to check but I believe that they have been now replaced as part of the MLU program.

One detail that is always present on every Italian Tornado IDS is a small fairing just under the rear RWR, part of the internal ECM system. Don't think this is included in the kit

Edited by Giorgio N

One detail that is always present on every Italian Tornado IDS is a small fairing just under the rear RWR, part of the internal ECM system. Don't think this is included in the kit

Yes its included, part 80 on the sprue.

Shaun.

• Like 1

Some words of warning to help the unsuspecting…..Just had a play around with the mainplanes to see what the fit was like. Be VERY careful when removing them from the runners…..in fact, you may well find that some of the flap 'runners' are already damaged before you start. On Part 51 (upper wing action) two of the three 'runners' (not to be confused with sprues) had already detached themselves from the wing 'in transit' before I had even started the process of removing parts from the sprue. With the lower wing sections (Parts 41/47) I adopted my normal tactic of removing them from the sprue with part of the sprue still attached to the very fine actuators….big mistake…the load placed on the sprue actually makes it more difficult than cutting right at the ends of the actuators….Bottom line….be prepared to lose some of these very fragile actuators/runners during the wing removal process…..Of course, if you are doing the flaps up option the actuators on Parts 41/47 are not an issue but you still need to watch out for parts 46/51 (upper wing sections). For those that will persevere with the flaps down option, I anticipate that Parts 106/108 (again part of the flap running gear arrangement) will be the next issue….these too look to be a challenge when removing from the sprue.

Good Luck !

HTH

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks for the cockpit info.

One thing you soon find with the kit, it that you need a sharp scalpel, a small plastic file, sanding sticks and to fashion some kind of cutting board the you can raise under the parts to support them when removing them from the sprue. The plastic parts bend quite easy and will break without support.

Shaun.

I did mention this in an earlier post, be careful.

Its a great kit, but you need to plan your approach to a few of the build areas. I'm really enjoying my build, so far its going OK.

Shaun

Edited by Shaun

Some sound advice from Shaun earlier with regard to sharp scalpels, cutting boards etc. I'm onto the next stage of wing construction using the 'flaps down' option and thought I should share my experiences with you. Interestingly the parts I feared removing from the sprues the most (Parts 106/108) were not too bad. You do need to work VERY carefully with these but these parts are actually more robust than they appear. Now the parts you do need to watch out for are 107/109 and 111/113, other elements of the flap mechanism. All of these parts consist of four interconnected flying control surface areas with very frail looking connectors. No matter how careful I was removing them from the runners, I managed to break two of the four parts. Parts 111/113 are not so bad since they eventually lie flat on the lower surface of the entire flap mechanism (and are cemented to Parts 110/112 respectively) but Parts 107/109 are more critical, so do take extreme care when removing these items from the sprue. I've yet to determine whether it is best to put 107/109 and 108/109 together first (as suggested in the Revell instructions) or cement the former to the main flap parts (110/112) and only then add Parts 108/109. Sounds more complicated than it actually is but EXTREME CARE are the watchwords. I should add that there are lots of ejector pin markings to sand down too but thankfully most of these are on hidden surfaces of the wing/flap mechanism.

Mark

My kit has a couple of the flap actuators broken "in transit" and I was wondering how to replicate the threaded look of these when replacing them and I've just come up with a stronger, solution - fine guitar strings cut to length will make excellent replacements!

If you know or are a guitarist that is!!!!

Let's see some in progress pic's folks

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Some photo's so far......I've used the kit decals to enhance the IP & I think it's came out OK,Fit is generally good & not much filler should be used,apart from round the mahoooosive gaps by the intakes!!!

Also some shots of the Revell BOZ pod,showing the bad rear face & some size comparason shots next to Dave' excellent works,the drops are again the kit tnks shown next to Daves Big Jugs...

WP_20140601_007_zps8db9fdf2.jpg

WP_20140601_009_zps723a454f.jpg

WP_20140601_008_zps929a8721.jpg

WP_20140601_006_zps484a0a2a.jpg

WP_20140601_003_zps546932f0.jpg

WP_20140601_004_zpsadccaf90.jpg

WP_20140601_010_zpsa4b450e6.jpg

WP_20140601_011_zpsc978e107.jpg

WP_20140601_012_zps0dcc3b42.jpg

WP_20140601_013_zpsb54ac4c2.jpg

WP_20140601_015_zpsc9f4fac2.jpg

WP_20140601_014_zps59adedf4.jpg