Revell 1/48 Tornado-First look.

spike7451

Well there's no need for that Spike!

I will let it slide as being an ex-armourer you were probably dropped on your head during infancy. Care in the BM community and all that. :bleh:

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 1

I don't think that there'll be an RAF boxing until next year at the earliest so there's an opportunity for the aftermarket guys to offer 2250l tanks , RAF pylons etc.

Stephen

Since the tanks in the kit are not 1700l (or whatever you metric measurers call them) they can actually do both.

OLIMP's 'Tornado Warrior' (rough cast, expensive, don't like the look of the Brimstones) or L'Arsenal seem to be the only options for modern fits and Airfix for the early Tonka I guess.

And no, you can't do an (early) RAF kit from this unless the Skyshadow is also hiding in there.

Weapons Wise, it looks an awful lot like what Revell released as the 'some of each, all of nothing' 32nd scale boxing. They should have realized that the RAF version blew that one out of the water for sales (where I live), even though the ROG boxing was much more expensive.

Since the tanks in the kit are not 1700l (or whatever you metric measurers call them) they can actually do both.

OLIMP's 'Tornado Warrior' (rough cast, expensive, don't like the look of the Brimstones) or L'Arsenal seem to be the only options for modern fits and Airfix for the early Tonka I guess.

And no, you can't do an (early) RAF kit from this unless the Skyshadow is also hiding in there.

Weapons Wise, it looks an awful lot like what Revell released as the 'some of each, all of nothing' 32nd scale boxing. They should have realized that the RAF version blew that one out of the water for sales (where I live), even though the ROG boxing was much more expensive.

Skyshadow pods in there...

• Like 1

build up available to see from the normal suspect Dieter Wiegmann here http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/galleries/tornadoids48dwdw_1.htm

Now having a good look at http://www.model-making.eu/products/Tornado-IDS-3011310.html

Anyone that is going to have a shot at building the box art aircraft might struggle with those decals, I'm still waiting to get mine in the post to give them a really look, but look at the mess even the Revell test builder had on those starboard side tail fin decals, the dude with the sword.

I'm not a scratch builder I am more a OOB builder with etched adds if available, build those decals look challenging

Cheers mate.

Time to climb into the attic and fish out the Paragon sets.

Michael

Spike,

Went a hunting in the attic and found the following items from Paragon I think. (Think they have been up there for 20 odd years)

Seats

Skyshadow & Boz 107

JP233

Pylons

Big Tanks

Flaps & Slats gloves

Exhausts

Wheels

Should be enough to do a GR1/4

Michael

Got my pair from Wonderland models a couple of days ago but have only just had time to fondle the plastic.

Best thing about this tooling? It's got F.Mk 3 all over it! (Props are due to Shaun at Post 39 for noting some of the folowing)

1. Sprue N has the inner wing pylons (Parts 127-131) and these have flashed over holes that the modeller opens up to install the inner sidewinder pylons.

There are two sets of these holes, on the inboard and outboard sides of the pylons therefore allowing the fit of 4 sidewinder launchers.

(which are already in the kit due to the way Revell have duplicated Sprue D!)

No IDS/GR variant to my knowledge ever had 4 'winder stations, not even the F2 had 4 winder stations!

2. The Wing nib parts are on their own sprue and are IDS/ GR specifc (Krueger Flap recesses, angle of their leading edge- Sprue K Parts 59-62) This

would allow Revell to tool the F.Mk3 wing nibs (RHWR Antenna fairings, no flaps) separately on their own sprue.

3. Sprue L contains the forward spine and intake tops as part 58, with the two Krueger flaps as well as the two cannon blast shields. Again, all IDS/ GR specific. The F Mk.3 kit will need a longer spine part to represent the fuselage extension for the "O" Fuel tank. It doesn't need two cannon blast shields or the krueger flaps.

4. Sprues A, B, C, D, E, F are all applicable to both IDS/GR and ADV/F3 variants and sprues J and N partially so. Looks like a pretty flexible tooling to me!

5.I really, really would like a Revell 1/48 Tornado F3 at around the £20 quid price point, I'd build a squadron of them!

Therefore, Revell have a Tornado F3 on the cards...or ready for release- SMW Telford anyone?

Ok, deep breaths, back to your thread in progress...

Just pointed out to me by a buddy over on the SIG...take a look at the bottom intake trunking part ...no18.....there are two circular cut outs.......possibly to fit over the Skyflash recess bays .

Bring it on Revell !!!

Andy

• Like 1

Working on the kit today,Revell have got the rear of the BOZ pod wrong.In the instructions they have you fitting the rear face on the BOZ in a recess about 5mm back from the rear face.Now this would be correct on a BOZ pod that has no flare cartridge fitted,but then you would have to modify the rear face...See pics;

Without flare cartridge fitted;

16hso5x.jpg

With flare cartridge fitted;

34yyyrq.jpg

EDIT;

On closer examination,that is what they have done.They've modeled a BOZ pod without the flare cartridge fited.

Edited by spike7451

Are you enjoying the kit Merv?,

On the subject of Tornados, what is the official cockpit colour?

Shaun.

It's getting there slowly,I'm finding some of the fits have quite large gaps,like the fit between the main gear bay & the bottom of the intake trunking,that forms the end walls of the bays.

As for cockpit colors,it's a mish mash of grays,especially the GR4,where panels have been replaced with upgrades,the cockpit floor is green on the GR1 but black on the GR4....

65o0fk.jpg

Using the web feature below,the color comes back as Revell Stone Gray or Humbrol Dark Camoflage Gray

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

Edited by spike7451

Got my pair from Wonderland models a couple of days ago but have only just had time to fondle the plastic.

Best thing about this tooling? It's got F.Mk 3 all over it! (Props are due to Shaun at Post 39 for noting some of the folowing)

1. Sprue N has the inner wing pylons (Parts 127-131) and these have flashed over holes that the modeller opens up to install the inner sidewinder pylons.

There are two sets of these holes, on the inboard and outboard sides of the pylons therefore allowing the fit of 4 sidewinder launchers.

(which are already in the kit due to the way Revell have duplicated Sprue D!)

No IDS/GR variant to my knowledge ever had 4 'winder stations, not even the F2 had 4 winder stations!

2. The Wing nib parts are on their own sprue and are IDS/ GR specifc (Krueger Flap recesses, angle of their leading edge- Sprue K Parts 59-62) This

would allow Revell to tool the F.Mk3 wing nibs (RHWR Antenna fairings, no flaps) separately on their own sprue.

3. Sprue L contains the forward spine and intake tops as part 58, with the two Krueger flaps as well as the two cannon blast shields. Again, all IDS/ GR specific. The F Mk.3 kit will need a longer spine part to represent the fuselage extension for the "O" Fuel tank. It doesn't need two cannon blast shields or the krueger flaps.

4. Sprues A, B, C, D, E, F are all applicable to both IDS/GR and ADV/F3 variants and sprues J and N partially so. Looks like a pretty flexible tooling to me!

5.I really, really would like a Revell 1/48 Tornado F3 at around the £20 quid price point, I'd build a squadron of them!

Therefore, Revell have a Tornado F3 on the cards...or ready for release- SMW Telford anyone?

Ok, deep breaths, back to your thread in progress...

IDS/GR1/GR4 has a four-ALARM fit option on the inboard pylons, so it's not exclusively an F3 thing. You'd also need a new lower fuselage judging by the parts shown here, plus new cockpit parts, new exhaust nozzles, new front fuselage and so forth. It looks promising, but I wouldn't assume that it's "on the cards" or "ready for release". Remember that after the single-seat Typhoon in 1/48, Revell took almost five years to release their twin-seater and that's an aircraft the Luftwaffe actually uses.

• Like 1

Always with the negative waves Moriarty! :winkgrin: Revell have already displayed the sprue with the Skyflash missiles on them as part of this tooling; F Mk3 Inbound! (As kevin Costner was almost told, "If they come, we will build it"!) :thumbsup:

8375232_orig.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the cockpit info.

One thing you soon find with the kit, it that you need a sharp scalpel, a small plastic file, sanding sticks and to fashion some kind of cutting board the you can raise under the parts to support them when removing them from the sprue. The plastic parts bend quite easy and will break without support.

Shaun.

The cockpit is not representative of a current RSAF Tornado as it shows the square Pilot's Multi-function Display (PMFD) and not the round display of the Repeater Projected Map Displayed (RPMD)

RSAF jets will not be updated to PMFD until mid 2015 at the earliest

Raid your Airfix/Italeri kits for the deployed FRP :)

Andy

The best extended probe is in the Hobby boss kit, one of the better items in that abomination of a Tornado.

Shaun.

• Like 1

Always with the negative waves Moriarty! :winkgrin: Revell have already displayed the sprue with the Skyflash missiles on them as part of this tooling; F Mk3 Inbound! (As kevin Costner was almost told, "If they come, we will build it"!) :thumbsup:

8375232_orig.jpg

And an ECR judging by the AGM-88s.

Well, having purchased the kit all gung ho to do an RAF version, and having totally failed to do a vaguely satisfactory LRMTS window cos this is the only thing missing from the kit to do a basic RAF machine, I am now wondering if anyone out there (Quickboost? Relish Models? Alleycat?) will do a complete LRMTS pod in clear resin?

Yours in hope,

Paul . . .

• Like 1

One thing you soon find with the kit, it that you need a sharp scalpel, a small plastic file, sanding sticks and to fashion some kind of cutting board the you can raise under the parts to support them when removing them from the sprue. The plastic parts bend quite easy and will break without support.

Shaun.

Would it not be easier removing the pieces from the sprues using sprue cutters and then trimming with a scalpel? Or is that what you have been doing anyway?

Sean

Well, having purchased the kit all gung ho to do an RAF version, and having totally failed to do a vaguely satisfactory LRMTS window cos this is the only thing missing from the kit to do a basic RAF machine, I am now wondering if anyone out there (Quickboost? Relish Models? Alleycat?) will do a complete LRMTS pod in clear resin?

Yours in hope,

Paul . . .

So are you saying there would be a LRMTS Clear window on a different (RAF Specific) sprue? Or did they not mould the LRMTS with a clear window?

So are you saying there would be a LRMTS Clear window on a different (RAF Specific) sprue? Or did they not mould the LRMTS with a clear window?

Hallo Callum,

No, there is a grey plastic LRMTS pod, but for reasons best known to Revell, they blocked off the clear 'chisel' shaped window from the clear sprue. In so far that it would be an inevitable clean up and fill job to get the whole thing flush, I rather think it would be better to have the whole thing molded in clear plastic or resin. Quickboost did something similar when they issued a complete clear resin IRST for the hasegawa draken, replacing the two part kit item.

HTH, Paul

I assume all the parts are there to build any standard German version, wish the aftermarket decal companies had some German versions available, looks like i'll have to purchase an italeri kit purely for the decals.

And what about an Italian bird, everything there for an italian tornado?

Finally got my first kit opened yesterday.....another half a squadron on their way to me plus one or two more for friends/colleagues here in Norway. Once I reunite my Paragon parts from an old Italeri boxing and the Model Alliance Raptor pods and Brimstone aftermarket sets, I'll have enough to produce one or two GR.4s. Its a pity the latter items are no longer available....they are superb castings unlike some of the others I have seen although Im sure some enterprising Eastern European manufacturer will come up trumps soon.

Overall first impressions of the kit are that it is one of quality and quite superb value for the money - those that make reference to potential shortcomings with detail etc should keep this in mind. The kit is less than half the price of a Far Eastern competitor but without the significant inaccuracies displayed in that kit. The Revell kit is, price wise, on a par with the previously very good but now inadequate Italeri kit so any 'issues' should be taken in context. I do feel the kit is a little over engineered although I appreciate that Revell are almost certainly looking at several releases/variants over a long period as they squeeze as much as possible out of this siginificant mould so, again, this needs to be taken in context. This kit, and its derivatives, will without doubt be a siginificant 'money spinner' for the company well into the future.

I particularly like the thrust reverser options (both open and closed) and the slats and flaps too. On the face of it, there does not appear to be much left for the aftermarket team with the possible exception of cockpit variations, ejection seats, possibly wheels and the aforementioned weapons/pods/fairings for export (i.e. non German) variants.

This has got to be the best value model kit I have bought in recent living memory, notwithstanding the rather disappointing decal sheet....I can think of far more attractive German Air Force specials than the one provided but hey ho......Its still a GREAT kit...well done Revell and bring on the Tornado F.3 which is obviously 'out there' !!

Mark

• Like 2

I assume all the parts are there to build any standard German version, wish the aftermarket decal companies had some German versions available, looks like i'll have to purchase an italeri kit purely for the decals.

And what about an Italian bird, everything there for an italian tornado?

There are aftermarket decals for German aircrafts around, have a look at HaHen's website:

http://www.hahen.info/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_7&sort=2a&page=2&osCsid=7ctjsfuo7ck5bbgg6nn4m5bl01

For an Italian aircraft the situation is a bit more complicated: apart from a Gulf War aircraft included in a Model Alliance sheet, the best option are the Tauromodel sheets. These originally were a bit of a nightmare because each sheet included only roundels or stencils or insignia for a number of aircrafts and to build a single subject the modeller had to buy 3 or 4 different sheets... granted, as a result there were decals not only for a Tornado but also for a number of other subjects, but it was not very practical.

Later Tauro issued sheet 48/567 that finally has everything on a single sheet and gives a choice of 6 aircrafts. Have a look here to see all the decals they made for the Tornado. They also have a commemorative German aircraft

http://www.tauromodel.it/inglese/dec_1_48.htm