German Unbleached Linen and Bleached linen

andym

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest any Humbrol or Tamiya colours to approximate doped unbleached and bleached linen for German WWI aeroplanes? I tried humbrol 74 for the unbleached linen but it looks way too yellow? FWIW I building a Fokker Dr.1 and have a Pfalz E.1 in the queue.

Thanks,
Andy

From the late Dan San Abbott:

The german aircraft industry used unbleached and bleached linen fabrics.
The unbleached was the beige in color and when doped was translucent, not transparent. The bleached linen was near white in color Pale yellowish white and is somewhat transparent, I prefer translucent. The French and British industry did not use bleached linen fabric, nor was it calenderized. The French and British had a high thread count in the 80 to 100 yarns per inch. The German linen fabric was 50 to 55 yarns per inch with heavier yarns. In order to reduce the porosity of the fabric it was calenderized by runnying the fabric between heated steel rollers under high pressure which esstentially crushed the yarns and filled the gaps between the warp (lengthwise) and filling (cross the width) yarns. Calenderizing was used also th reduce the amount of dope needed to fill the interices between the yarns.
The photo of the Halb.D.II is covered with bleached linen fabric. The term canvas applies to fabrics which weigh more than 8 oz./sq.yard. Aircraft fabrics weighed in the range of 3.5 to 4.5 oz./sq.yd.

---------------------------------------

I also have this bookmarked, might be of some help:

http://wwi-cookup.com/sopwith/modelling/cdl.html

regards,

Jack

• 6 months later...

Aviattic have just released (or are just about to) decals of clear doped linen! Light and dark German, British, French, plus PC10 and 12 with the weave pattern of the fabric evident!

Ian

Aviattic have just released (or are just about to) decals of clear doped linen! Light and dark German, British, French, plus PC10 and 12 with the weave pattern of the fabric evident!

Ian

I've had sample sheets of these - and the differences between British CDL, German linens and French are noticeable. Its beautifully subtle stuff too.

Jonners

Ian

Honestly? In 1/24 and larger scales I assume. Or is the next trend in modelling to return to the 1950s and engrave burlap weave on all flying surfaces?

Shane

• Like 1

There is no "scale" as such to the decals. The weave pattern is so subtle, but noticeable, that it will work well in any scale.

Ian

Perhaps. But IMO if it's visible at all in 1/72, or without a magnifier in 1/48, it will look daft.

Mind you, while we currently have a fashion to pack the panel lines of model aircraft with oakum and pitch like an 18th century ship of the line a little bit of wheat bag fabric in place of fine calendared linen is a minor transgression against realism.

Shane

• Like 1

Perhaps. But IMO if it's visible at all in 1/72, or without a magnifier in 1/48, it will look daft.

Mind you, while we currently have a fashion to pack the panel lines of model aircraft with oakum and pitch like an 18th century ship of the line a little bit of wheat bag fabric in place of fine calendared linen is a minor transgression against realism.

Shane

Hi Shane - what Ian says is true. its more of a very very subtle texture than a "weave' pattern - its just adds some life to a flat single colour surface.

PC10Aviattic_zps72f91863.jpg

I hope this shows it well enough - its actually a sod to photograph close up!

Jonners

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you guys get this information!!!!!!! I am ( was) looking forward to building my first Bi Plane, not sure now LOL. If/when I do build it I am not showing you guys. I have found a list of scale conversions for the size of rigging wires i need to use according to the original size scaled down to my model,Gulp!! now Ive got to worry about the colour of "fabric" paint. :weep: Seriously guys I truly do admire the effort you put into your research and dedication to detail. Some of it will rub off and make me a better modeller so keep it up and thank you.

Don't get too hung up on the finer points, just build it as you see fit. There's probably very few people who have accurately modelled RFC rigging and lived to tell the tale.

elastic thread or fishing line is an adequate substitute.

• Like 1

Many thanks GCN. was getting worried a bit there. :) As always I will build it to the best of my ability and satisfaction. If it turns out good, great, if not then I would have learned a little more to make the next one better. The scale conversion chart was a little amazing but as I don't want to spend out on a micrometer, Monofilament line will do me just fine. But the attention to detail some modellers go to to get it right is still impressive.