1/72 GMC CCKW-353 Gasoline Tank Truck

Just a thought about figures Nigel. Not sure about Health & Safety rules back then but would a driver be allowed to stay in the cab during refuelling? You say your figure painting isn't up to much but you seem the type that doesn't let obstacles stop you. Give it a bash! I'm sure I have some italeri NATO ground crew figures you could have (chop up and repose to yourhearts content). You could have a figure at the chopper end with a fire extinguisher on hand and somebody at the pump controls checking the flow / consumption (if that's what they do)

Thanks for the link to the chain (pun intended) Bruce, I'm not sure its quite fine enough but I have sent them a message and will hopefully sort it out next week. I have also contacted Cornwall Model Boats who are usually good for such things.

Thanks for your offer of the figures milktrip, I will definitely take that up. Here are the kit figures, you've got to laugh haven't you?

P1060380_zps4ce85e5c.jpg

I have noticed that the inclusion of figures seems to go down well in competitions. Not that that is a major consideration but I suppose it would help bring the whole thing to life. For a bit of whimsy I have thought about including a bloke having a fag break in this vein:

men11_zps1e85dfb8.jpg

The Japanese are probably too sensible for that though. I like your suggestion Aaron and will go with that for now.

The replacement wheels arrived this morning and, while not perfect, are much better than the ones I had:

P1060379_zps122fe4c1.jpg

That at least is one problem solved. From the different coloured plastic it looks like they have taken these from two different kits. Congratulations to Airfix for excellent customer service.

Here is how the winch is looking now:

P1060373_zps1244f01a.jpg

P1060377_zps4325bae4.jpg

I now need to find some braided copper wire for the cable.

• Like 2

I think this place is known as the dark side. We must tread carefully and keep out wits about us.

Andy, that is very kind of you. I don't want you to go to too much trouble, lets see what Airfix can come up with first. Like I say I think I can possibly fix the Airfix wheels with some resin but I have loaned all my silicone and resin to Duncan B for the next month or so - another reason this may have to go on hold for a while. I am now going to have a good look into all the aftermarket stuff.

What am I doing here? So, back to your roots making cars Nigel? Some of the fit issues wouldn't look out of place on a LR/Jaguar production line. Am I banned form the Armour section yet?

Anyway, you exaggerate, you'll get your resin kit back in 3 weeks time.

Keep on truckin' , it looks right up your street.

DB

p.s. how do I get out of here?

• Like 1

Thanks DB. There was a running joke at JLR that while you can't actually see the Great Wall of China from space you can see the panel gaps on a Land Rover Defender.

Now I have some decent wheels I don't need the casting stuff back anytime soon, you hang onto it as long as you need it to get your job done.

• Like 2

My winch drum actually rotates so I wound on some cable and put an eyelet on the end using a scrap of PE. Here is the winch frame glued in place:

P1060381_zps965b49f2.jpg

I then cleaned up and glued on the front springs:

P1060382_zps7779dac9.jpg

I cleaned up the whole of the chassis frame and had a look at the fuel tank. I discovered that the Airfix artist who drew the instructions had got a bit confused and had drawn this bracket thing for the spare wheel on the wrong side:

P1060383_zps89cfb220.jpg

I also discovered that the fuel tank had a big hole in the bottom:

P1060384_zpsababd9e3.jpg

That just won't do.

I have printed off the Eduard instructions intended for their set to be used on the Academy kit. They propose removing the straps and replacing them with PE, this seems like a good idea to me:

P1060385_zps7f00deed.jpg

Especially when you see what they look like on the side:

P1060386_zps3da16360.jpg

Before filling the tank with Milliput I packed it out with bits of flat sprue:

P1060387_zpse6a83668.jpg

There are quite a few other areas that need some Milliput so I lined up all the jobs:

P1060388_zpsdb4efdce.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Nigel,

The detail on the little green man is exquisite and should be the focal point of your diorama. :)

Kind regards,

Adam

• Like 1

Before doing the filling I started to make the tank straps out of some scrap PE fret:

P1060390_zpsd5c89590.jpg

I did all the filling jobs:

P1060391_zps4c846311.jpg

Note there was no surplus fillier, I have finally worked out that if you mix up about half of what you think you need it is about right.

This might be a bit mad but I am thinking is grinding off the back of the radiator and thinning down the division bars, this will also give me the opportunity to add the central horizontal bar which is missing:

P1060392_zps1044c5e1.jpg

First I need to make a drawing to record the key dimensions before the information is lost.

• Like 2

Here is my sketch of the radiator grill:

P1060393_zps342af46b.jpg

This picture is for my reference before I start attacking things, that moulded disc will have to go and be replaced with a more realistic piece of PE:

P1060394_zps863ae56b.jpg

I sanded up up the filler on the tank and added the straps:

P1060396_zps51cbf6e2.jpg

I also added some support structure using 1.5mm Evergreen channel:

P1060397_zpsa2fde5ee.jpg

Here it is glued in position:

P1060398_zps913766e7.jpg

I'm quite chuffed with that.

Now I'm going to work on what I assume is meant to be the battery:

P1060395_zps5ffd7b6f.jpg

I have already filled it with Milliput.

• Like 2

Don't bother replacing the disc Nige.....It's a 'bridge plate' and unlikely to be found on a post-war airfield vehicle. :nerd:

Enjoying what I'm seeing.....Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

PS - Did you get the DUKW book OK? :hmmm:

Good point about the disc, I like adding such details but I think you are right about leaving it off.

The DUKW book has not arrived yet.

Is that box thing the battery? I am just about to add some terminals and cables so I would be nice to get it right. :banghead:

Dude the DUKW book was attached to the e-mails I sent to you.....You will need to use WinRar to reassemble it. :pipe:

If the box in question sits immediately in front of the petrol tank, then it is indeed the battery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_64/sets/72157631419111812/detail/?page=11

• Like 1

Tell you what Nige.....This thread is gonna be a goldmine for future Braille Scale GMC builders. B)

I may have a few figures that could be of use.....Detail's not much better than the Hasegawa ones, but even those could be made to look respectable with a good scrape and maybe some head and hand swaps IMO. Preiser are usually your best bet for quality 1/72 figures, but their range isn't huge and they can be a pain to get hold of. :confused:

Thanks for the help chaps. I have fitted the battery mainly using imagination but it does not look too far from reality, I will have to make as little shelf for it as well. I used my motor tool and a 0.5mm drill to make the retention strap:

P1060399_zps45d759f7.jpg

Terminals and cables added from 0.38mm lead wire:

P1060400_zpsc0baa8c5.jpg

I have had to notch out the bed to fit over the cables:

P1060402_zps4680d004.jpg

I need to pop off and get some lunch now, more to follow later.

Bye,

Nigel

• Like 1

Nigel, just came by to say - wonderful work. This truck will be worthy standing near your glorious Flying Banana...

• Like 1

Here is the little story of my battery tray.

First I did a sketch of how it should look and the developed plan then I marked it out on a suitable section of PE fret:

P1060403_zpsd74d3d41.jpg

Then cut out like this:

P1060404_zps48cf6f26.jpg

Folded up like this:

P1060405_zpsce65e0b6.jpg

And installed like this:

P1060406_zps89868c61.jpg

That was FUN!! What next I wonder?

• Like 4

Well I reckon you are some sort of genius mind reader as I have already added a fuel filler cap.

I decided that one of the 1.5mm lenses from Little Cars would be perfect for the job:

P1060408_zps60377489.jpg

I think that will looks the bees knees when its painted.

I have also started work on the front bumper, filling the ejector marks and improving the profile of the hooks:

P1060410_zps59a9cb49.jpg

• Like 1

Good question, I need to study the cab interior properly (which I have not really done yet). If I leave the canvas doors off it will be quite visible so merits a decent amount of work.