As good as you can do

And you should too

See that GMC

Has one outlet

When what it really needs is two!

To be continued......If necessary! :wicked:

• Like 9

KT, you are indeed persistent but I would like to point out the following:

i) I am making this GMC fuel tanker after you persuaded my to drop my plans for the Flightpath bowser.

ii) I have had to purchase an extra resin kit for the towed fuel pump after your sketchy research failed to initially discover that this set up is gravity fed.

iii) I am now adding figures to my diorama which I have never painted or used before after your insistence.

I think I have done enough to keep you happy so I am not going to alter the fuel outlet as I am quite at peace with it.

OK.

The first job after my day to two away was to add the other door mirror:

P1060638_zps13e7d711.jpg

I jury rigged things to see how it all looked:

P1060639_zpse06de09a.jpg

This led to me cutting off the oversized windscreen sockets:

P1060640_zps74b58e2c.jpg

I will fill those with Milliput and further tidy up later.

My plan is to scratch build a new screen surround from the 1mm brass angle section:

P1060641_zps8f58d163.jpg

I next started on the radiator grill, cutting off the light protectors:

P1060642_zps56be303d.jpg

Using 120 grit wet and dry I sanded the plastic off the back to expose the grill bars:

P1060643_zpsb58c6d87.jpg

After sanding the gaps in the bars could just be seen coming through:

P1060644_zpse2047b74.jpg

I shaved off the front of the identification disc:

P1060645_zps192271ec.jpg

The using all my scribers I started to separate the individual bars:

P1060646_zps50f782fa.jpg

Here it is pretty much all cleaned up:

P1060647_zps38926a04.jpg

Now I want to add the horizontal bar and some mesh on the back.

• Like 4

Aaaah, I see what you did there. Incidentally, I shaved today.

My ceasar avatar had his head cropped and I couldn't adjust the pic on my ipad. I opted for Dr. Zaius (which came up as Dr zanussi on auto correct?) out of ease. It will return to cornelius or ceasar at some point :)

I had a strange dream last night in which I found a small creature in the woods so took him home to look after. It was like a tiny Harry, from Harry and the Hendersons, about 30cm high but the hair consisted of short dreadlocks all over the body and the face was squirrel like, so I called it a squirrel monkey... But it looked nothing like an actual squirrel monkey (I googled).

Anyway, drifting off topic there so as usual your work is inspiring and I've said it before but all your photos give the impression of a larger model. After seeing this at the meeting I really appreciate the skill that's gone, going, into this ( not that I didn't before). Fancy finishing that Bell 47 for me? :D

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 2

Glad that you got the reference Aaron. I would have expected nothing less. On the Bell 47 I would love to but you will actually do a better job. As to your dreams - who knows what that all means you wierdo?

I forgot to mention that I collected some of my old models today, I must have made these when I was about 14 or 15, some of the last I brush painted before I got into using an airbrush:

P1060632_zps99450277.jpg

I ought to do an RFI on some of them, they are not that bad.

I will send a picture of the Model T Ford to KT as I know it has a special meaning for him.

I embedded some 0.3mm brass rod on the back of the radiator:

P1060648_zps65966134.jpg

Rather than T Bag mesh I used some of the Eduard PE mesh left over from the Flying Banana:

P1060649_zpsbcd2de99.jpg

P1060650_zps1d70d4ed.jpg

I think I will back this with some black plasticard and then fill the hood with lead and Milliput:

P1060651_zps628ad5dc.jpg

I took great steps not to film over the mesh holes with glue, I hope it works.

I knew there was a reason I wanted to mix up some Milliput, now I can fill those holes in the doors.

• Like 3

... must be the week for strange dreams as I also had some confused nocturnal meanderings, the main one involving a large circular room, an oversized toilet bowl, a strimmer (weedwacker) with a chainsaw attachment, and a couple of members of our volleyball team.... or more precisely... one member and one torso of a member.

Much mirth and merriment was had by all as I recited my adventure at our last volleyball game

oooooh ... nice build Nigel.

• Like 1

You rebellious old Nigel you

Do you think he will EVER stop wittering on about twin outlets?

:)

So here's the thing, the Nipponese Bananananana company only EVER refuels/ed one Bananananana at a time,thus they insisted on single outlet so the flow didn't get reduced.

I mean, who could oppose such succinct thinking?

It would work for me ;) *

As does the newly refreshed grille fascia

Nice one mate, tres nice (can you tell I spent about forty hours or more keeping up with Eurosport's awfully useless coverage of the 24 hrs of Le Mans this last weekend mon ami?)

*Surely no-one could argue that

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

We must not be too hard on KT, he is only trying to help. I do try to take on board the inputs to my builds as I value the thoughts of other's highly. KT knows far more about AFV's than I but in this case his advice came too late. I hope he is not too upset.

I did like the song lyrics though - Nigel, modelling VIP - good that.

• Like 1

To get the bonnet assembly to fit on the chassis I had to sand a rebate step at the bottom of the radiator:

P1060657_zpsf360c02e.jpg

I then did a fit check with the exhaust to see where a hole had to be drilled in the new filler:

P1060658_zpsc4428f62.jpg

Here it is:

P1060659_zps305cff73.jpg

You may ask why I didn't just cut off the exhaust pipe - it is all very hidden under there. Well I just felt this gave a neater solution.

I then smoothed over the bonnet filler from my pot of Squadron green stuff (and added some thinners to it as it was starting to dry out). A bit unnecessary but it will make me feel better:

P1060660_zps52315b67.jpg

I then tidied up the A pillars:

P1060661_zps16084c58.jpg

I think I need to extend the steering column so I will look at that next.

• Like 5

I glued on some 0.8mm brass rod to the steering wheel and drilled through the bulkhead to get this:

P1060664_zpsbe1147d2.jpg

Well that is as about as far as I got tonight, I have club committee meeting tomorrow so progress will be limited I am afraid.

So its bye from me,

Nigel

• Like 2

George, You renegade you.

How about a Hovercraft?

BTW I read a book that may have been close to your previous line of work.

By Gunnery Sgt Jack Coughlin USMC. Very interesting.

Nigel, Mesh, Chat up a florist.

You'd be surprised, also good for soft bendy wire.

Keep on Truckin'

TTFN

"BTW I read a book that may have been close to your previous line of work.

By Gunnery Sgt Jack Coughlin USMC. Very interesting."

Pete,

Would that be "Shooter"? Have read it and found it very interesting. Urban warfare is so different than field warfare. Equipment is amazing. I was using a converted Ak 4.

And you are right about florist wire. It comes in many thicknesses.

Post meeting this is what I have got done so far, first making a toe board from an old Rotodyne part from the spares box:

P1060665_zps4eafaf2a.jpg

Fitted and fettled into position:

P1060666_zps302dec8f.jpg

There were then these levers to add to the floor area using scraps from the PE spares box:

P1060667_zps1d5792f0.jpg

Two more added:

P1060668_zps725fd972.jpg

Now I need to made the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals.

• Like 1

I located a couple of PE scraps that could be used for the brake and clutch pedals, I thought it was interesting to compare them to the somewhat oversized Extratech pedals from my Flying Banana:

P1060669_zps9e9d8b81.jpg

Here they are glued in position along with the accelerator pedal:

P1060670_zps6597df43.jpg

• Like 1