AW139?

There's a die-cast in 1/48 which can be improved by a new paint job and filling in the enormous gaps.

I have this in my stash and one day I'll give it a try. Have to say that it really needs a lot of work to make something like the models we're used to starting from this but at least it's a starting point. A cheap starting point, I got mine for €10 at a local toy supermarket

The rotor head in particular would need to be completely scratchbuilt as it's very simplified. If anyone want to see any picture, let me know.

Lots of gaps in the Helicopter modelling market, I cringe everytime another Spitfire/ME109 is released, nice aircraft but really.

My top must have's would be...

S92A

AW109E (power) or AW109S (Grand)

and the AW139.

• Like 4

I cringe everytime another Spitfire/ME109 is released, nice aircraft but really.

You can sing that !!!! The constant release of Spitfire and ME109 kits is the least humorous joke in the history of scale modelling. Do we really need new moulds every five years of the same types from the same manufacturers? It is as if two parallel universes (?) exist within scale modelling, those that build Spitfires/109s and the rest of us.

The rest of us would like to see an AW139 kit, please.

BM.

Edited by Blue Monday
  • Like 1

You can sing that !!!! The constant release of Soitfire and ME109 kits is the least humorous joke in the history of scale modelling. Do we really need new moulds every five years of the same types from the same manufacturers? It is as if two parallel universes exist within scale modelling, those that build Spitfires/109s and the rest of us.

The rest of us would like to see an AW139 kit, please.

BM.

The problem is that the number of those who build Spitfires and 109s is several orders of magnitude higher than the number of those who would like to see an AW139

• Like 1

The problem is that the number of those who build Spitfires and 109s is several orders of magnitude higher than the number of those who would like to see an AW139

Unfortunately, that is the truth.

BM.

• 3 weeks later...

My organization has three AW-139s, I'd love a 1/48 model of it.

Our first was delivered a few years ago, it was built right behind Trumps AW-139, his has gold trim , ours doesn't.

Interestingly enough, all three of ours were paid for on donations. One of those donations, was the largest donation to a non-profit organization in Canadian history, we received 30 million.

We also have 8 BK-117s, also all purchased from donations,

Imho the Italian HH-139 has a great livery

This is the one I want to do or a HH-101A Ceasar. I hope Italeri will re-edit their 101 with the mods to make it a HH-101

Edited by Paolo6691

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And our local one has been replaced by an AW 189 - now there's an impressive noisy beast... Love to do a diorama featuring one with an image of the Needles behind it and a lifeboat doing an exercise....

Guess it's 'Dream on, Pilgrim......' (though an Airfix lifeboat would match the Yarmouth one I believe.....)

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2014 at 12:18 PM, OverTorque said:

Hahaha false mate!There are more than 10.000 Puma's kit on the market today! Oh come on, how could you define the Aw139 ugly!? :P

No rumours about a kit of this chopper?!Such a shame ... :(

G-CGIJ-001.jpg

At my work we call it the Ferrari, we have 3 AWs and 8 BK-117s (which are the Lada’s). We just purchased 3 EC-145s.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I  do think, six years after this thread was started that it is a bit surprising no kit seems to be on the  horizon. There are many more operators of AW139. Many military and some colourful schemes. Even a short run kit would  be welcome.

But all the same arguments against it in this thread apply. Helicopters don't sell as well as fixed wing. But I think another factor is the lack of commonality in helicopters. Kit a US version and it won't be compatible with  the Italian version or an air ambulance version or the UK Coastguard version. I'd like an Irish Air Corps version. Fat chance of that being kitted. 

I hope one turns up eventually. But I won't be holding my breath.

• Like 5

Count me in but  1:1 would  be  outside  my budget. 😁

But 1/72 would  be my scale. Almost  any version as I like the type.  I'd  forgotten that W stood for Westland in the Leonardo company.

At this point the 1/48ers will  gang up on me.🤪

• Like 1

I'll go out on a limb here. Given Kittyhawk's plunge into producing a large number of helicopter kits, is there a chance they might be the company to produce this model?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, noelh said:

Count me in but  1:1 would  be  outside  my budget. 😁

But 1/72 would  be my scale. Almost  any version as I like the type.  I'd  forgotten that W stood for Westland in the Leonardo company.

At this point the 1/48ers will  gang up on me.🤪

To be precise its Leonardo MW....Marconi Westland......must be due a change soon I've been with the company (electronics not helicopter) 8 years and had four company names 😆😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nobody seems particularly interested in producing kits of modern helicopters, unless they are plastered with weapons or have two sets of rotor blades. It is surprising as they are most likely the aircraft types that people see on a daily basis. And while they may not be as charismatic as a Spitfire or a Red Arrows Hawk they deserve their spot in the limelight.

• Like 4