AW139?

How is it possible that there's no aw139 kit yet?! It's a best seller in the helicopter industry and it would be a kit of great interest!I'm quite disappointed.

And last but not least it's also a beauty

Copyrighted image removed

Post moved to modern not a rumour of a new kit

Edited by Greg B
  • Like 1

Hahaha false mate!There are more than 10.000 Puma's kit on the market today! Oh come on, how could you define the Aw139 ugly!? :P

No rumours about a kit of this chopper?!Such a shame ... :(

G-CGIJ-001.jpg

Edited by OverTorque

I remember speaking to "Old Father Hannant" some time ago regarding a similar subject.

My boy has always been a fan of the S-76 and we asked why there wasn't such a kit.

His answer, and it probably rings true in the case of the 139 too, was that there's simply not much of a call for Civvy "Off-Shore" helo's with limited colour options.

How many people are going to want to make a Bristow's/Bond's/CHC 76 or 139 (for example), compared with those that will want to make an RAF Puma/Wessex etc.

His opinion was that the model companies can't see any market for them.

There are more than 700 aw139s flying today and it's on the market since 2002 (more or less)! Without doubts it's the most successful helicopter ever made!

Thinking it wouldn't be a kit of interest it's completely a non sense!!The s76s were sold basically in the USA whereas the 139 it's a best seller in USA Uk and Europe and despite its short commercial life it has already matched the total of Dauphins sold in 40 years!

I remember speaking to "Old Father Hannant" some time ago regarding a similar subject.

My boy has always been a fan of the S-76 and we asked why there wasn't such a kit.

His answer, and it probably rings true in the case of the 139 too, was that there's simply not much of a call for Civvy "Off-Shore" helo's with limited colour options.

How many people are going to want to make a Bristow's/Bond's/CHC 76 or 139 (for example), compared with those that will want to make an RAF Puma/Wessex etc.

His opinion was that the model companies can't see any market for them.

Correct for the S-76 but not really for the AW139 considering that the helicopter is in service with a dozen armed forces, and a couple also wear RAF roundels...

Unfortunately I can't see much interest in a kit of this type anyway. The market for helicopters does not seem to be that large overall and many other types have been completely forgotten...

1/48 modellers interested in an AW139 can try to improve the die-cast made by NewRay, it's not a bad starting point and looks reasonably accurate. Of course it needs a lot of work to bring to the kind of detail level we're used to with plastic kits, particularly with the rotors. At least it's usually cheap, mine costed around € 10

• Like 1

There are more than 700 aw139s flying today and it's on the market since 2002 (more or less)! Without doubts it's the most successful helicopter ever made!

Thinking it wouldn't be a kit of interest it's completely a non sense!!The s76s were sold basically in the USA whereas the 139 it's a best seller in USA Uk and Europe and despite its short commercial life it has already matched the total of Dauphins sold in 40 years!

Most successful?! Er, UH-1 series and Mi-8/17 maybe...

I agree that there is limited scope for civillian subjects unfortunately compared to military. Doubtless a model company could secure 'sponsorship' to include a civillian company livery - but would it be the one you want? There will probably be a lack of AM decals due to high costs for small runs etc etc.

Re the comment further up about a Puma, The AW139 looks a bit like a Puma but more sleek. MAybe if the RAF got some a kit would come along/...

EDIT:

hah!! Just saw this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AW139_Helicopter_on_Search_and_Rescue_Exercise_MOD_45151098.jpg

Here I think is the dichotomy - the AW139 is cursed by being seen as a "Civvy" helicopter rather than a "Military" one. Yes, there are military and paramilitary operators, but I believe it was marketed originally for the civilian market as a private venture by A-W. Look at the Sikorsky S-92: plenty of civilian operators but it's tanked in the military market - it's only generated two sales so far (although I think the Canadians are regretting it now!) and it hasn't had a kit released of it either. :(

It just seems that an out and out military helicopter is perceived to be a better bet than a civilian one by the kit manufacturers. Add in any copyright issues with regards to civilian liveries (those will be protected jealously and with extreme vigor by company lawyers!), plus probable licensing fees demanded by Augusta-Westland (it's their in-house design, no government specs in sight) and it might well be too expensive to do. :hmmm:

Having written that, I bet that if the AW139 was used by a government agency in Germany Revell would have done a kit by now! Look at the Revell EC135, EC145 and BK117 kits as examples.

Personally, I'd love to see a 1/72 kit in HM Coast Guard colours done, but that's just me! B)

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 3

Here I think is the dichotomy - the AW139 is cursed by being seen as a "Civvy" helicopter rather than a "Military" one. Yes, there are military and paramilitary operators, but I believe it was marketed originally for the civilian market as a private venture by A-W. Look at the Sikorsky S-92: plenty of civilian operators but it's tanked in the military market - it's only generated two sales so far (although I think the Canadians are regretting it now!) and it hasn't had a kit released of it either. :(

It just seems that an out and out military helicopter is perceived to be a better bet than a civilian one by the kit manufacturers. Add in any copyright issues with regards to civilian liveries (those will be protected jealously and with extreme vigor by company lawyers!), plus probable licensing fees demanded by Augusta-Westland (it's their in-house design, no government specs in sight) and it might well be too expensive to do. :hmmm:

Having written that, I bet that if the AW139 was used by a government agency in Germany Revell would have done a kit by now! Look at the Revell EC135, EC145 and BK117 kits as examples.

Personally, I'd love to see a 1/72 kit in HM Coast Guard colours done, but that's just me! B)

Mike. :)

Not just you, I would quite like one myself. And an Irish Air Corps one too

I don't think licensing would be an issue, AW seems to have given licenses to a number of die-cast manufacturers, and there actually more die-cast models of their helicopters around than there are plastic kits... Unfortunately the limited appeal of these means that IMHO it's very unlikely we'll ever see one in plastic.

But yes, had it been in service in Germany or Switzerland Revell would have done one ! The only A-109 kit was made by Revell covering the variant used by the Swiss rescue agency.. problem is that they use a very specific variant and very few users ever had this variant. One of my long term plans is to try to clone in resin a 1/72 die-cast that was on the market a while ago and finally build one of the machines used by 8 Flt. AAC in support of SAS operations

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Re the comment further up about a Puma, The AW139 looks a bit like a Puma but more sleek. MAybe if the RAF got some a kit would come along/...

EDIT:

hah!! Just saw this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AW139_Helicopter_on_Search_and_Rescue_Exercise_MOD_45151098.jpg

Yeah wake up Paul.....

Seriously! Opinion based clearly but I doubt very much that stats will back you up

And finally a Puma in 1/48

Edited by Gary West

No matter, military subjects will always be more appealing. Any model show you go to will demonstrate this as will model forums' RFI's. Although there can be a lot of variation in schemes etc. of civilian operators, military ac seem to capture the imagination more.

So, being businessmen, model companies make models of ac that will sell to mass, not niche market.

Sorry Over Torque, I feel your pain as there are even some military kits that 'should' be kitted - but they aren't going to sell to the mass market, so only cottage industry is SOMETIMES an option.

Most successful helicopter?

Hmm...

So what about the Sea King, Huey, Bell 47, Puma, Gazelle, Mi-8/17, Mi-24, CH-47, CH-53, UH-60 just to name a few.

Actually, why is there no AS.350 Ecureil/Squirrel in 1/72?

Yes, you're right but you have to consider that the 139 is on the market since 2003 and there are more than 700 39s flying today with 100 already ordered. More than 700 39s built in 10 years. How do you call this?!Only one word: success! Maybe it's not the most successfu chopper but "one of the most" for sure.

I hope to see one day a kit of the 139.

Btw, there is an as350 b2 kit from Heller in 1:48 :P

Edited by OverTorque