Tamiya Alfa Giulia GTA and Aoshima Murcielago SV

Two very different cars, but both a tribute to the best of Italian sports car know-how...

gta-in-primer-XL.jpg

The GTA in primer. I'm trying out a technique suggested by "Cruz", on another forum, in which you wash the shut lines with black while the car is in primer, before painting. He suggests rescribing the lines first, but I thought that the GTA had crisp and deep enough lines out of the box to test the technique without needing to scribe them.

murcielago-body-in-primer-XL.jpg

The Murcielago in primer. I wanted to get as many parts of the body together as possible to avoid having to match the colours, and glue clear-coated pieces together. In practice, this means the extreme nose, skirts and lower edges of the extreme rear can be attached. Doors and one intake (which has a segment of body colour inside) have to remain separate...

murcielago-basecoated-XL.jpg

The Murcielago will be Giallo Orion -- a pearl yellow colour -- with lots of black/grey carbon trim. This is, once again, the ever reliable Zero Paints system of ground coat, base coat and clear coat.

gta-basecoated-XL.jpg

Whereas the Giulia Sprint GTA is in a colour scheme inspired by some of the racers I've seen at Donington over the years. More Zero Paints, this time Alfa Rosso Corse and Lamborghini Powder Blue (a Miura colour which eventually lost out to the lime green when I built mine, but I may still do another in this colour, because it looks so cool...)

clear-coated-on-bench-X2.jpg

murcielago-clear-coated-1-X2.jpg

murcielago-clear-coated-2-X2.jpg

gta-clearcoated-X2.jpg

gta-clear-coated-3-XL.jpg

And now with the clear coat on. You can see how much it changes the apparent colour of the base coat, especially on the Lambo. I think the change is even more intense with the pearl finish because it reduces the scattering of light by the pearl layer, and lets you "see through" to the base coat more directly. I also tried using clear over a decal for the first time, (the Alfa "snake" on the bonnet) which has worked very well. There are the odd spot imperfections here and there, but once again the Zero 2K clear has done its job and settled into a smooth, glossy finish all over.

These will now go away into plastic boxes for a week or so to fully cure before polishing out those spots.

It's good to be back at the bench!

bestest,

M.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, chaps... slow progress, thanks to trying to manage my stash "garage sale" eating into bench time... but at least I'm getting somewhere:

engine-done-X2.jpg

Engine (which is surprisingly large) is now done. The wiring is a pain, since it's a "twin-spark", with two lines per cylinder. A bit of wash and detail painting brings the kit parts up a treat.

interior-started-X2.jpg

The interior is based on a real period car that I found online at Bring a Trailer. The seats are grey vinyl, not black, and the door cards are NATO Black with Citadel black details. Carpet is done with Plastikote Velvet for texture.

bestest,

M.

Beautiful work and lovely colour choices and paint on both models. The way the colour has changed on the Lamborghini after the clear was sprayed is amazing.!! I'm with you 100% on the Zero paints. Used correctly they give an outstanding finish on any model :)

The gta is stunning. Can't remember what year(s) the same basic car was built but I still think the whole bertone gtv range have not dated at all. I don't know why but loved the lip on the bonnet on the hot ones (like this!) used to think it was bad panel fit ! Your paint finish is probably 100 times better than original !

That gloss is exellent.

I'm using Allclad aqua gloss, and it needs plenty of polishing to achive not even as near as good shine as yours.

I'm ordering that 2k gloss, really want to try it.

Everything else looks stunning too, love the details on the engine.

Great work, I like the idea of painting/shading in the shut lines before applying the colour coat. Is it me or are they/have they disapeared?

I'll be following your builds.

Colin

Thanks, guys!

@Colin -- the dark-washed panel lines are still visible, have no fear. It's just not a god angle or lighting set-up in that shot

Got the exhausts done:

exhausts-on-1-X2.jpg

exhausts-on-2-X2.jpg

...as you can probably tell, I'm quite pleased with the way the heat discolouration came out. Citadel blue, purple and orange washes over Humbrol "Chrome Silver" from a can.

dash-1-XL.jpg

dash-2-X2.jpg

Not all the GTAs I've found online have a grey dash, so I decided the wood effect would provide a nice highlight in the cabin. All the wood is various "dark flesh" or "Leather" colours, with a glaze of Tamiya Clear Orange, applied with brush strokes carefully visible...

mockup-1-X2.jpg

mockup-2-X2.jpg

And a quick mock-up . The engine is going to need some work on thinning down the mounts and refining the gearbox to make sure that it sits down properly into the chassis, at the correct slightly inclined angle (The sump is dead horizontal but the block is leaning about 5-10 degrees left.

bestest,

M.

Mostly progressing the GTA at the moment.
This is the engine bay done:
engine-bay-1-X2.jpg
engine-bay-2-X2.jpg
I need to find out where the other battery lead goes. I think round the far side of the bay to the "fusebox" on the firewall
front-axle-X2.jpg
The uses of Humbrol Metalcote Steel. Polished for the discs, lightly buffed for the "metallic grey" callipers, and a nice flat primer base for the black bits.
front-end-X3.jpg
..and finally, the front end coming together.
bestest,
M.

I wanted to see how the "stance" would look. I've lowered the rear by about 1mm, by drilling out the spring sockets in the body shell, and the front by about 0.7mm, by removing the "pillars" at the mounting points on the front subframe. The effect is not the full on racing look, where the rear tends to be well down, but it's a little more aggressive than the standard set-up...
stance-tryout-1-X2.jpg
stance-tryout2-X2.jpg
stance-tryout-3-X2.jpg
...back to the interior, now...
bestest,
M.

Here's the interior more or less done (the instrument panel is just dry fitted for the moment)

interior-2-X2.jpg

interior-1-X2.jpg

The complete chassis:

chassis-top-down-X2.jpg

chassis-1-X3.jpg

chassis-2-X2.jpg

and I couldn't resist a quick mockup:

mocked-up-1-X2.jpg

A few interior tweaks on the body shell before she's quite ready to go together permanently, but it won't be long, I'm sure...

bestest,

M.

Life has got a bit in the way of bench time lately, but I'm still plodding on. Focusing mainly on the Alfa at the moment, so there's nothing interesting to photograph on the Murcielago, but it is bobbling along in the background. Anyway...

bmf-on-X2.jpg

bmf-on-2-X2.jpg

A couple of sessions got the BMF on the side windows done, and the windows in. The kit's really well engineered -- enough so that the layer of paint and BMF on the side window "bars" makes the fit a little "tight"... I've fettled somewhat, but there may need to be another session.

interior-last-chance-X2.jpg

Last chance for a good look inside before the rear window and windscreen get in the way!

windows-on-2-X2.jpg

windows-on-3-X3.jpg

windows-on-profile-X2.jpg

And now the windows are on. Just the final bits of detailing to do now... mostly in "chrome"...

bestest,

M.

• Like 1

What a nice looking piece of Alfa. A true classic in a lovely Alfa Rosso. :D

This build really brings back pleasant memories to my own Alfa days

with the GT1600 Junior in the garage.

There's a classic car restoration workshop not far from me and they had one of these in navy blue sitting outside when I went past the other day. The GTA is a seriously beautiful machine, and you're certainly doing it justice bud. I still can't get over how small they are even compared to something like a corsa or saxo.