Vintage Pair's Vampire T11 XH304

On 1/12/2021 at 7:14 PM, Fritag said:

Ha.  You’re a bad man and a laggardly modeller Mark.  You wouldn’t catch me dawdling like that.......:blush::D

What? Your my mentor Ste, I'm following your lead😆

laggardly ? Oh no another big word I'm going to have to look up.🙄

On 1/12/2021 at 9:49 PM, perdu said:

Nicely done Mark, I am looking forward to seeing  the print job in action.

Decal paper & Microscale decal film at the ready

On 1/13/2021 at 12:00 AM, Rob68 said:

https://flic.kr/p/e6AdaC

Unsure if this works,  one of my few images of the airframes (i was there that day in 86 btw,)

Nice pictures thanks for those Rob

So I've knocked up the serials and applied them to the wing, Masking tape is to get them 90° to the longitudinal axis and all aligned as they are split around the main gear doors.

The XH3 on the left wing seems to have gained a stretched X so I'll replace that decal.

Zypi1Ew.jpg

4smcnqV.jpg

In preparation for the CFS badge on the fuselage I've cut a white background shape from white block trim film stock on the silhouette cutter. The decal has been printed on clear decal film. so would have a grey background if applied direct.

BrRCXEo.jpg

New XH3 decal & CFS badge printed & drying to be applied later.

Ht4xf6h.jpg

Thats all for now

Laters

CT

• Like 5

Hopefully will finish the CFS badge tonight. 

I need to do the crew names. There are 2 names on each side does anyone know if it would be the same names on each side? Ie pilot & crew chief  on both sides or would they be different on each side ie 2 pilots names on the left & 2 crew members on the right?

I have the crew names for its final flight printed but if there were other names does anyone know what they were back in 1986?

Thanks CT

• Like 1

A little work tonight CFS badges went on and the underwing XH3 decal replaced, The photos show the decal to be very proud of the surface that isn't the case in reality I think its the single light source being 90° from the camera, anyway have some Micro Set doing its work on it as I type.

sZaKaMB.jpg

ufX4Y3G.jpg

Next I need to draw the No step areas these are the same basic shape as the ones on the Airfix sheet with a couple of differences mainly text positioning and font and they are black not red.  I'll use a scan of the Airfix sheet as a starting point and get drawing them over the next few days.

Thanks for looking

CT

• Like 4

A little more progress with the decals tonight, I've redrawn the Keep off areas from those on the Airfix decal sheet to something that more represents those on XH304.

Ive changed the shape slightly on some, changed the text font and size and of course they are now black.

Here is XX304

Wrqp4bf.jpg

And the changes

YuS9Lfd.jpg

I'll get them printed soon, just have a black cartridge that keeps blocking to sort out first.

Regards

CT

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

On that final flight, the pilots swapped aircraft, so the regular Vampire pilot was in the Meteor that day.

Thanks for that info, think what I will do is put all 4 names on it, and probably the same when I do the Meteor eventually.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Slow and laggardly work going on, crew names are on and a few other decals, ejection warnings and only a couple of stencils. Need more work drawing (typing) some of the stencils for this, I think I will only do a few prominent ones, just need to decide which ones as they seem to be a little different on some photos over the years.

mNhDxQG.jpg

OzuLx48.jpg

Ive noticed that the aerials have gone walk about, the top fuselage one lost years ago and the lower one last seen on the 8th Jan post, I suspect the carpet monster!

So Ive knocked up a few replacement, on the the new (well actually had it nearly a year) toy, an Elegoo Mars.

I'm not really up to speed for anything useful on Fusion CAD just yet so I'm using the nice simple Tinker CAD for the moment until I learn more. I've done two types of antenna, straight one and a tapered one, think their use will not be just limited to this build. I'll fit them toward the end of the build.

5MZ4Ml6.png

VAkppy8.png

Hopefully I'll get more out of the printer in the future.

Stencils next

CT

• Like 6