Vintage Pair's Vampire T11 XH304

Stretched sprue? Thin fishing line? EZ line or a similar rigging elastic? Just thinking aloud....!

Any of the above and for controlability I nominate the sprue - stretched version

Bend it round the package and let a light heat source trace around it held just away from the plastic to lock in the shape

A length of wire warmed over a candle does the job for me, slowly

I also use nylon thread which has several available colours too...it hates paint however

Going to give most of these ago, have cotton, thin wire, sprue, 0.1mm nickle siver rod, fishing line and mabe even a thin line of white paint. Have taken the string of the messed up ones and also made some more last night and given them a mr surfacer prime then a coat of the red tinted yellow. Hopefully the paint should stay on this time.

14904769017_bb6c32519a_c.jpg

Timely tutorial on alclad too - as I'm planning to use it for the first time on the JP legs and the rear fuselage. I think I need a nice shiny finish on the fuselge - so it looks like one of the high shine finishes - maybe polished aluminium over a gloss back primer.

That one should work Steve, give it a practice on the guinea pig chippy first though.

Off to the Rhyl airshow today so will give that paint plenty of time to dry.

• Like 2

Cheshiretaurus,

Stunning modelling, I've thoroughly enjoyed following Fritag's work on his Chipmiunk and JPs and now I'll be following your work with equal admiration.

Totally inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Mal

• Like 1

Twas a good show was Rhyl. Reds performed an 8 ship show as Red 3 has been called back from duty by the birth of little red 3.

Sunny day sat on a beach deck chair facing in one direction has given me a truckers arm and a face like phantom of the opera. Oh well into work today to face the ridicule of asymmetric sun burn.

15099116821_42ae25e5c3_b.jpg

Evening just left me time to put some detailing on the new kits. Have made a few more (top row) of various sizes in edition of the original 4, but like the red arrows is missing one, this one has gone to the carpet monster.

Have a few things to try for the lanyard fishing line (only just visible in pic), 0.2mm wire and 0.1mm nickel silver rod in the tube. Shall give them all a try.

14915426679_b86e057654_b.jpg

Mark

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Having had couple of months off the modelling due to family issues, work life balance etc resulting in a little modelling mojo reduction. Now with my Hawk and LED (Still need to find a base for that) near done. I've decide to get the Vampire out again.

A little momentary KUTA came at Telford when I saw this

16380204341_b8f5b216ae_b.jpg

Right back to my Vampire where was I, ah yes life rafts. Had a bit of a block here finding something to make that lanyard from. Sunday brought me to the Bolton show and while looking for a base for the Hawk I had a eureka moment at the Model Tools (littlecars) stand with 0.2mm lead wire this might be pliable and solid enough so got some, along with some gator glue.

Gave a length a quick spray with white primer yesterday and left it to dry. Today I've tried attaching it with gator glue and I think I've cracked it. Started with the bigger life raft packs first then will move on to the smaller ones if it sticks if not I'll try good old trusty CA.

16194230738_8e7c905c88_b.jpg

Once set its a simple task of cutting the excess wire with the scalpel, then see which pack fits, have a few more to do.

It's not much progress but its a start again.

CT

• Like 5

Glad to see this one back up and running again. Reckon you've cracked it with the lead wire. Looks much more realistic than your previous versions, which after all, were pretty damn good anyhow.

• Like 1

Good stuff that lead wire. Like Bill says, it stays put and also takes very little effort to mold to shape in situ. If one has a convoluted pipe run to do it's often possible to simply glue one end of the lead wire in place and persuade the rest into shape where it sits.

Also, it's even possible to roll it and make it thinner to an extent. I've had success using a flat, steel rule or tweezers handle on an old, smooth kitchen tile. There are odd occasions where a reduction in diameter was necessary.

Neat liferafts and nice to see the progress Mark.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Decided to start the main wheels again, so stripped the paint of with white spirit and started again.

A while back during my spitfire build, Miggers mentioned a good way of doing wheels. So going to give it a try

Primed them yesterday with Tamiya primer and gave the hubs a coat of Alclad darkened with enamel.

My trick to doing wheels.

1.Take the wheels off the sprue and clean up(sprue gates/mould lines,WHY)

2.Mount the wheel on a cocktail stick

3.Paint the hubs your favorite shade of "alloy" first,don't worry about getting it on the tyres.

4.Paint a coat of Kleer over the entire wheel/tyre combo and leave 24hrs to go off solid.

5.Make a mix of your favorite "Tyre"(or Tire)grey/black,thin to the consistency of milk and using
a small brush,put a drop on the tyre letting good old capilliary action draw the paint around the
tyre bead(nice tight clean demarcation for the tyre/hub see)then using the cocktail stick "handle",
carefully rotate the wheel and paint the rest of the tyre.Leave to dry thouroughly.

6.Put a dark wash into the hub detail,spotting any wheel nuts separately.

7.Blow over with matt varnish.

8.Sit back and admire your blingy Spit(other aircraft types are available)wheels.

I'm on stage 5 at the moment and seem to have got some muck in the grey in the side walls. So will wait for it to cure , clean it off with micromesh and try the grey again. don't think I need to spray the hubs again.

Im still very impressed with the Pavla resin wheels for it. very finely detailed!

16421404435_0213890497_b.jpg

CT

• Like 2

They look blarry good to me

As ye says, a quick rub and re-grey will soon sort that out but you might find that the grey needs a slightly thicker paint job to fill those immense chasms

In fact that is probably all it will need, thicker paint and a smooth off with w&d

I love the hub details too

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hasn't six years gone fast, time I did a bit more on this,  

The build originally got put on hold as I had found out that a decal company (since defunct) had decals for the vintage pair in the pipeline, It had been confirmed to me by the owner. I was asked not to spill the beans on the project to which 
I kept my word. So I put the build on hold and waited, and waited, and waited some more. The company made their announcement then I waited a bit more. and the rest is history. the decals never materialised.  I build other stuff in the mean time but never really got back to this or its twin engined  counterpart.

Earlier this week I decided maybe I should get on with it again. having re-read this thread to jog my memory as to where I was upto I decided the next best stage was to gloss it up and start decaling.

So last couple of days it has had two coats of Humbrol gloss cote and left to set for 24hrs.

c6k5nun.jpg

All I masked was the cockpit. The antiglare panel will be resprayed matt black at the end of the build. along with matt clear in the undercarriage and flap bays.

Made a start with the decals tonight. Roundels and fin flash have come from the Airfix sheet, rest will have to be inkjet printed as I go along. bit by bit. 

8dLj5Rn.jpg

fklTFwz.jpg

Just a couple of decals but enough for now.

CT

• Like 9

On 1/9/2021 at 11:38 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

Ha.  You’re a bad man and a laggardly modeller Mark.  You wouldn’t catch me dawdling like that.......:blush::D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 1/9/2021 at 11:38 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

Bloomin eck glad to see you back mate. I missed Saturday's return post. Also looks like Steve will be returning his Hawks to the fold too :poke: hint hint (although I'm a fond one to talk). Maybe 2021 will be a better year after all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Also looks like Steve will be returning his Hawks to the fold too :poke:

Bits have at least been got out and laid ready on the bench Tom (a quick fnaar fnaar for Ced there and to welcome CT back :D)

• Like 3

Nicely done Mark, I am looking forward to seeing  the print job in action.

A pity about the manufacturer letting you down though but you will make just what you need anyway.

Nice work so far.

• Like 1