FG-1 Phantom, 43(F) Squadron, RAF Leuchars 1971

The venerable Fujimi F-4K/ FG-1 kit remains the only game in town for a Spey engined Phantom in 72nd scale, (unless you really like the Matchbox kit) and pops up now again as Fujimi do another limited re- issue, and can be picked up on the various auction sites around the web inbetween times.

DSC00341.jpg[/url]

Thankfully, its still a very nice kit, the tooling holding up nicely and no problems with flash or short shots with my edition.

This is my latest attempt, with the Xtradecal set X72003 providing the markings for a 43(F) Squadron aircraft circa 1971.

Humbrol enamels overall.

DSC00339.jpg

I'm not too sure about this one, and I'm putting this effort down as a practice run for further iterations of this fine kit.

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

Thanks for looking,

cheers,

troffa

• Like 24

I'm always pleased to see a Leuchars aircraft, even the squabbling chickens. Would it have had that fine flash in '71? I would have thought the square version would have been more likely, very nice none the less.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan, if you need some Tremblers decals you can have mine as I will never use them!

As for the fin flash, not sure when they changed, thought I'd hedge my bets with "circa"!

Cheers,

troffa

43(F) 1988-1998.

• Like 1

When I was at Leuchars in the early to mid '80's the then 43 Sqn Juliet had a persistent nose wheel steering issue and I can remember a photo stuck on a message board where some comic had attached reins to the nose leg and had someone standing in the front office holding them. We all had a bit of a giggle about that but it didn't go down well in 43's line office.

Duncan B

• Like 2

The RAF Phantoms just have a "presence"!

Don't know if its the colour scheme, or the larger intake, and exhausts, they just look so good!

Great looking model, very nicely done :)

• Like 1

Please don't tell me this is the Toom you were working on while you were in Ipswich! Lovely result Mark, I'd be sure of it if it was mine.

• Like 1

(to Dave) No it wasn't that other phantom! but I'm still looking for that one in the garage stash somewhere, as it will be a good source of spares.

General Jumbo- the only problem area as far as I'm concerned is the piece that forms the underside of the forward fuselage, (It has the forward Sparrow recesses on it) and where it interfaces with the lower wing piece cut out. (You'll know when you get there). I have found it tricky to get it to fit without creating a step on the lower surface.

I skillfully avoided any issues by taking the photos from around 5 feet whilst shaking the camera a bit.

The inside of the intakes are a bit of a let down, and for the serious modeller a set of seamless replacement intakes or some scratch built FOD covers are probably the way to go.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks Troffa.

I know the part you mean. I managed to purchase a kit from BM member Nick Belbin (thanks again Nick) and it did come with a set of resin intakes. Having had a look at what is required though, I think the butchery required to fit the intakes will be beyond my limited skill level!

Looking forward to this one though - I've always liked the Phantom.

• 2 weeks later...

(to Dave) No it wasn't that other phantom! but I'm still looking for that one in the garage stash somewhere, as it will be a good source of spares.

General Jumbo- the only problem area as far as I'm concerned is the piece that forms the underside of the forward fuselage, (It has the forward Sparrow recesses on it) and where it interfaces with the lower wing piece cut out. (You'll know when you get there). I have found it tricky to get it to fit without creating a step on the lower surface.

I skillfully avoided any issues by taking the photos from around 5 feet whilst shaking the camera a bit.

The inside of the intakes are a bit of a let down, and for the serious modeller a set of seamless replacement intakes or some scratch built FOD covers are probably the way to go.

Good luck with your build!

Troffa - I see what you mean about the inside of the intakes. Other than that, it is really nice.

GJ

What a nice kit. I only associate the Phantom with the FAA, US & Japan so it's great to be reminded of the RAF ones.

Phantom needs to be another kit to add to the list to build. I think in my boyhood I only dd a Hasegawa Japanese one - must have been a Christmas present as they were very expensive!

Now that is funny, filing that away for future use...

• Like 2