As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Troy Smith

Spitfire R6800, LZ-N, Gravesend 1940 - black replacement port gun access panels?

while searching for a serial for the Hurricane in the background, SD-U, I found another pic from this series.

famous one, for those who have not see this before R6800, LZ-N, flown by the CO of No. 66 Squadron, Sqn Ldr Rupert Leigh, Gravesend September 1940.

Is thought to have a red spinner and Medium Sea Grey serial, decals for this are on Xtradecal 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain sheet BTW, though the fuselage roundels are wrong [too thin blue ring]

8033932514_9bc6a28db6_o.jpg

From the IWM

large.jpg

apart from some very interesting details, I noticed the underwing gun hatches appear very dark, perhaps replacements from an older plane?still with a Night port wing?

large.jpg

there is also this one, from the other side

large.jpg

The what appears to be painted red patches around the gun ports is also of note.

Hope of interest. Are there any more photos from this session?

cheers

T

That is a cropped version of this photo

raf-gravesend.jpg

which was the inspiration for the BoB diorama a few years back (build thread here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68438-148-battle-of-britian-diorama/) This is a scan of the Osprey Book Spitfire Mark I/II Aces 1939-41

I know it's cropped, I mention this in a separate thread on the Hurricane in the background, SD-U.

But thank anyway, I didn't say in this thread.

The not always reliable memoirs of 'Dizzy' Allen mention that the order to paint 66 Squadron's spinners red came as a result of him attempting to re-join his then squadron leader, for whom he was flying as wingman. The squadron leader undertook some violent evasive manoeuvres, having mistaken Allen's Spitfire for an attacking Bf 109. Allen finally realised something was amiss and enquired by R/T whether everything was okay to which he received the reply.

'Christ, I thought you were a bloody German.'

pp 54 and 55 in my ancient and yellowing copy of 'Battle for Britain'.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stonar

I brought up the subject of the possibility of red painted areas around gun ports in the thread "all the stupid spitfire questions" page 14. no conclusive answer.

Dek.

(nevermind- wasn't paying attention!)

Edited by gingerbob