1/72 Trumpeter Lightning F6 (Build 9 + extra aaagh!)

Here we have my build number 9 since re-addicting myself to this plastic hell.

And by gumbo this fought me all the way. I'm still not sure who won this one.

But why oh why do Trumpeter Lightning? :mental: I'm not knowledgeable about all the details, but even I could tell it wasn't particularly accurate with that the abomination that is its tail. :puke:

So.. Yes.. WHY?! :blink:

Well it had been a nice present from the girlfriend, so I did have to build it. With all the new kits coming out from Airfix an Sword I also thought I'd better get it out the way so it was done and ready to get dusty on the shelf.

I decided not to fix all that could be reasonably fixed, but thought that surgery on the back end by fitting a better shaped resin part from Aires was good practice for me. What almost caught me was when I forgot to compensate for the added weight sitting that far back. I nearly had a tail sitter, but a dab of liquid gravity super glued into the nose cone saved the day.

Oh, yes.. And more NMF practice for me.. As if the Mig 15 I'd done previously wasn't enough punishment. :crying:

Finished off in a main covering of Alclad Aluminium, a few spots of polished aluminium, airframe aluminium and a dab of Tamiya titanium (which was a bit too subtle tbh). Some Model Alliance decals slapped on with the usual chemicals.

All done with most of its inaccuracies intact. I didn't have any drawings so those fins are still the kit shape even though it's a simple fix. It has the air brakes open because after 7 rounds with it I couldn't face closing them up and dealing with any seams.

I'm glad it's over... So let's just move straight on to my 'interpretation' of a Lightning F6. Please feel free to laugh at, commiserate or sympathise with another Trumpy Lightning builder. :rofl:

• Like 24

Excellent model...well done. I started this model about 5 months ago and promptly lost the little square piece that holds the nose gear in place. After that I lost all interest in ever building it. Maybe I'll pick up the Airfix kit one day.

• Like 1

Well done for just getting on with it. I have the F.1A half done - like you to get it out of the way before I buy a few more Airfix F2As to convert back to F.1As. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Actually it doesn't look half bad when it's finished except for those straight leading edges - you just notice it so much after building the Airfix kit.

• Like 1

Very nicely done, having criticised Trumpeter on many occasions for making the mistakes I cannot fault your model making skills. Your NMF finish is worthy of special mention and I am always happy to see a Leuchars based aircraft being modelled.

Duncan B

• Like 1

At least the Trumpeter canopy hasn't got disfiguring mould lines through the glass bits.

Nick

Just a shame that it is too wide and the profile is too rounded or else I would have fitted one to my Airfix Lightning. To be fair to Trumpeter the mouldings are very crisp, it's just the overall shape they got wrong.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Just a shame that it is too wide and the profile is too rounded or else I would have fitted one to my Airfix Lightning. To be fair to Trumpeter the mouldings are very crisp, it's just the overall shape they got wrong.

Duncan B

Fits the Trumpeter kit a treat though! :)

Nick

• Like 1

That is an extremely nice build (and equally good photographs)

Looks like a Lightning to me. And a very good looking one at that!

Thank you for sharing such a lovely build with us all.

• Like 1