P47 D Thunderbolt "Eileen"

Hello Britmodellers.

I recently finished this Thunderbolt...one of my first builds.

It's the Academy 1/48 bubbletop. Decent kit (although there are some accuracy issues) with pretty trouble-free asembly (excepting the wingroot, which gave me some headaches).

The only extra's used were Eduard seatbelts and M2 gunbarrels from Master.

I must say that the academy decals were a total mess, so I tried to avoid using them, as much as possible.

Consequently, the engine cowiling and the invasion stripes were painted.

Anyway, this is the final result.

All the best,

222_zpsba2d1b31.jpg221_zpsc0a9d71c.jpg220_zps652dc45c.jpg219_zps6b9e455d.jpg215_zpsb7104b13.jpg218_zpsbebaaa8a.jpg217_zps11cc7161.jpg216_zps9e4d3581.jpg228_zpsceef5706.jpg227_zpsb9eca2ff.jpg226_zps0040b089.jpg225_zps223f33aa.jpg224_zps58ae20ff.jpg223_zps643246dd.jpg

Edited by One-Two
  • Like 7

I love me a P-47 in OD. Great build. I know the Academy kit gets poo-pooed for accuracy things...but who cares...it looks good.

Did you do a WIP I'd love to see more of the engine. I can barely get some glimpses...but it looks like you threw some wiring in there.

Thanks Guyz.

Glad you like it.

Regarding the engine...here U are some WIP pictures...kinda crappy pictures but this is all I have.

163_zpsed408803.jpg161_zps7c1c6c92.jpg10_zps35220ba2.jpg

The complete buld can be seen here: http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/11401-p-47-d-bubletop-eileen/page__p__169288__fromsearch__1#entry169288

Hope the link will work. It's in Romanian language so you will not be able to read a thing, but if you want you can see more WIP pictures.

All the best,

• Like 1

Thank you Guys.

It was a pleasand build and I learned a lot with this one.

Looking forward for the day when I'll start working on that Tamiya Razorback waiting in the stack... :guitar:

Impressive that you painted the checkered cowling! It must have taken you a loooong time...

That plane is often given as being medium green (as opposed to OD) over neutral grey. Is that the colour you used?

Great model

JR

Thanks Guys.

@jean: it took me about 10 days, I think, in order to paint the chequers on the cowling. The most laborius thing was masking, of course (I attached a new picture).

I know that the painting on Frank Oilers' Thunderbolt was a matter of controvercy.

Some sources say it was OD/neutral gray (including the kit's painting instructuions, although I would not consider them as a "source"), but others give it as RAF dark green over RAF sky.

I choose the RAF colors because most of the sources were indicating so and because it looked more appealing to me.

So the colors for this one were RAF dark green (Model Master enamel) for top side and RAF Sky (Revell enamel) for the underside.

In no way I'm sure that this is the historical thruth (I could not find one single color photo of this plane), but as I said most of the sources were pointing to that and I also read (on the internet) an eye-witness report stating that at that specific time and unit, the Jugs were coming bare metal from the States and were painted with RAF colors in situ. So I opted for the RAF colors...

Kind Regards,

70_zps02da924a.jpg

Edited by One-Two

• 2 weeks later...