spitfire mk1b

The Crusty one

Yes, forgot about the ailerons! If you're swapping wings, you can also swap ailerons (from one wing to the other). Or you can fake it/rescribe yourself, or possibly get some aftermarket ailerons of the appropriate type (but be careful they'll fit the kit).

Wouldn't it be easier to use A wings from Mk.I, keep the radiator and ailerons intact, and just rescribe some lines, add (aftermarket/spares box/scratchbuilt) cannons and bulges as I did? Kitbashing of Mk.Ia and Mk.Vb seems to be more complicated and more expensive.

Personally I'd rather change ailerons and drop-fit an oil cooler than to try to rescribe/ deal with bulges to convert an 'a' to a 'b' wing. But I also fancy doing any number of Spits, so the extra kit involved is no problem. Going the Tamiya (1/48) route aside from the ailerons you're just trading parts between kits. (One other comment I've just remembered: on Tamiya's 1/48 Mk.I they have one aileron hinge out of place- compare left to right wings and you'll see.)

I WAS impressed by how the bulges on yours did NOT look like added parts!

bob

Re replication of the fabric covered ailerons, one German modeller successfully used a technique in the 80s whereby he portrayed the rib tapes on fabric by repeated application of white acrylic paint with a drafting pen. I never got around to testing that methd, but his results were convincing & very subtle. I think he used the acrylic primarily to avoid it being affected by the thinner in the enamel of the top coat(s).

I have seen the bulges on the early cannon/pre Mk Vb wings and they are quite different in appearance since on the earlier models the cannon breeches were facing to the side instead of facing up. It wasn't until the cannons were properly mounted did the stoppages that plagued the earlier aircraft subside to a point that they could be used effectively in battle. Does anybody know when the cannons were relocated and the Mk Vb style cannon bulges come into to use?

Cheers

I think you may be confusing this with Hispanos on their sides ('b') vs. upright ('c')? Someone else- I want to say Dave Wadman- drew my attention to the shift of shape in 'b's, but I don't have any theory yet about when/why this happened- it could be an "early" vs. "late" production, or it could be one factory vs. another (different approach to making the part?). I did look at some photos at the time to confirm the difference that he was talking about. Finding enough photos to create an adequate sampling might be difficult, unless Edgar produces a drawing showing the different shape as a design improvement.

i have both tamiya kits mk1, mkV..i reckon i can chop out the ailerons from the mk1 wing and fit them into the mkV wing maybe need a bit of plasticard each end to tidy them up,and a bit of filler along the edge ....sound like a plan?

i have both tamiya kits mk1, mkV..i reckon i can chop out the ailerons from the mk1 wing and fit them into the mkV wing maybe need a bit of plasticard each end to tidy them up,and a bit of filler along the edge ....sound like a plan?

Hmm, what will you do with leftovers.... Ultracast do a set of control surfaces for a Tamiya Mk I BTW

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/038/default.htm

Ultracast_48038_Product.jpg

Ordering from Ultrcast can be expensive, UK supplier is

http://www.3d-kits.co.uk/online-shop/

Product not listed? We regularly order from Ultracast, so if you want something that isn't listed let us know and we can add it to our next order.

HTH

T

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 5/14/2014 at 11:35 AM, Edgar said:

The empty shells were (or tried to be) directed out from close to the cannon, so there was no triangular hole beside the wheel well, just a rectangular hole on the other (cannon) side of the wingrib (it was acknowledged, eventually, that this was the cause of the jamming problems, since the cannon vibrated away from the exit chute, causing the empties to twist, and jam.)

An old thread I know. Do these still get a response rather than starting a new thread? I am building the KP Mk1b 'Canon' Spitfire. It will 'Grumpy' Unwin's. @Edgar re: the Canon Shell Ejection holes. I gather I fill in the triangular whole near the wheel well and cut a new rectangular hole nearer to the Canon on the other side of the wing rib (presumably between ribs 8 & 9). Was this on the inboard side or outboard side of the Canon do you know?

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C

1 hour ago, Lindsey C said:

An old thread I know. Do these still get a response rather than starting a new thread? I am building the KP Mk1b 'Canon' Spitfire. It will 'Grumpy' Unwin's. @Edgar re: the Canon Shell Ejection holes. I gather I fill in the triangular whole near the wheel well and cut a new rectangular hole nearer to the Canon on the other side of the wing rib (presumably between ribs 8 & 9). Was this on the inboard side or outboard side of the Canon do you know?

Regards,

Lindsey

I guess you missed the fact that Edgar sadly passed away several years ago 😢

14 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I guess you missed the fact that Edgar sadly passed away several years ago

Oh No! 😥 Sorry guys. RIP Edgar.

He is flying well above 20,000ft now with Hispano's n Browning's freezing up like billyo! Still, the view is stunning.

Regards,

Lindsey

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

My understanding is that the early/initial canon armed Mk1's didn't have any machine guns fitted but after these ones, which caused so much trouble and were returned, the next lot did indeed have them, at least according to Shacklady anyway

Yeh Colin. I was just trying to find where to place new rectangular shell ejection ports for one of the 30 'Canon' (Hispano only) Spitfires. Edgar said that the triangular ports by the wheel well were incorrect. I may just use a bit of 'guestimation' and place them one side of the canon or other. Might flip a coin for left or right. I would presume the inboard side 🧐

Thanks,

Lindsey

Thanks Graham. Yes. They certainly were on the 'B' & 'C' wing. That fits in with Edgar's 'the other side of the rib'.

Inboard it is.🙂👍

Now, time to find a picture of 'old-style metal muzzle covers' 🧐

I think a small piece of thick decal not sunk into ports with decal softener, painted in camouflage colour's should suffice.

Thanks

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:51 PM, Lindsey C said:

An old thread I know.

Bit OT (but thanks for bringing this one to my attention anyway):

Generally, if a thread is more than a couple of years old, I prefer to start a new, clean one but do add a link to the older one. 
That way, it prevents people responding to posts from the old thread / reacting to ancient questions probably long solved, or more awkward moments ;)