Shark mouth Kittyhawk

Hasgawa I/48 Kittyhawk IV

RAF Desert AF 239 Wing 112 Squadron 1944

build oob, paints Humbrol/Gunze Mr Colour

Went together really well even though there have been remarks on sites that it doesn't due to the modular design.

It went pear shaped when I came to paint, the Humbrol paint took ages to dry and when it did it was very grainy.That though was more me than the paint I think.

The decals are typical Hasgawa very thick, but they do settle down with multiple applications of microsol.The shark mouth decal isn't a very good fit, too short to reach all the way around, so I painted the front by hand to match up.

730a86c7-2cc6-4f0a-9ab6-18cc735af7f4_zps

IMG_3479_zps83416992.jpg

2c18a11a-2935-4344-a6ff-b722d576d4c3_zps

IMG_3473_zpsa76b0329.jpg

IMG_3466_zps04bb7976.jpg

I did quite a bit of paint fading, which doesn't seem to show up in the photos, I think I'm being to subtle, and most of it is disappearing under the gloss/matt varnish

• Like 13

Lighten the base colour and thin it a bit more than normal and apply to the center of panels, edges etc

Have a look a some of Arkady72 R.F.I posts, he's a master of it

• Like 1

That looks great, really well built and painted,....I`ve edited this e mail to remove my query about the colour scheme which has proved to be unfounded.

Sorry about that,...and I stand by my original opinion that you`ve built a beautiful model,

Cheers

Tony

Edited, as above.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Excellent Model You have the correct camo scheme for this particular Airframe , which was originally coded "R"

It was on 112 Sq April/May 1944 I've managed to trace 3 Kittyhawk MKIV coded GA*? FX561 as you have so excellently rendered., FX740, lost 31/5/44 and FX760

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Edited by Terry McGrady
  • Like 1

If Terry says that it is right then fine,....I`m sorry and I`ll delete my post immediately. I did say that it was a great model,....it was just the transposed colours of the Middle Stone and Dark Earth which had me wondering.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Yes, I love that model! I have to say I agree with Steve, I think you've got the fading and tonal variation in the paint about spot on to me, it's something I always tend to end up with over done, but yours is spot on. It's just enough the break up the monotony of the colours (IMHO of course!). One to be proud of :)

Val

• Like 2