OpenLearn course - Moons

I have just finished an online course presented by the OpenLearn section of the Open University, entitled Moons.

The course ran for the past eight weeks, was informative, illustrated with stunning images, presented the very latest information and new discoveries, included references to my favourite astrophysicist, the late Carl Sagan, required no more than a couple of hours per week and was amazingly, for its content, completely free of charge.

I whole-heartedly recommend this course to anyone interested in the various moons of our solar system and the search for life-supporting conditions. It's too late to enroll now unfortunately but you can register your interest on the OpenLearn website in case they run this course or similar topics again in the future.

The only thing that didn't quite work for me was a virtual microscope that really needed a much faster internet connection than the piece of wet string I'm wired to my telephone exchange with.

Some of the material used on the course is available here: http://www.open.edu/openlearn/futurelearn/moons and is well worth exploring.

I have no connection with the OU other than being a part-time student, and I have done one of their short courses on astronomy in the past, but this course was superb.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

Hey me too. I did the Intro to Astronomy module with the OU a few years back along with the big 60 credit Exploring Science module (I was enrolled for a degree in Physics) but with the workload and having just started work full time I couldn't fit it in. I was also getting a bit annoyed with the quality of the courses and some of the staff.

Now things have settled down I'm thinking of resuming it but somewhere else. I know Lancaster Uni have a distance learning Astronomy/Physics programme and it isn't overpriced to the point of needing more student loans.

Sounds like a great resource.

I'd also recommend the Open Source video lectures put on youtube by MIT. Their 23 lecture series on the Space Shuttle is eye opening.

23 lectures on the Shuttle?
Where do I sign?