Javelin butts in 1/72

Procopius

My understanding is that there's something horribly wrong with the hoary old Airfix Javelin in 1/72 (and probably a number of things less wrong, but still wrong with it), specifically that the rear of the fuselage and the engines are impossibly dinky for this mighty instrument of (cold) war. I know there are resin corrections for earlier marks, but how would one make a more accurate FAW9 from the Airfix or Frog kit?

No chance of at least being able to combine kits?

Yes, that is a possibility. I believe there is a WIP on here (Vulcanicity possibly) somewhere where the Frog back end has been transplanted onto the Airfix kit. There is also a WIP by Nobby (IIRC?) who scratch built the back end.

If you want an earlier mark then Whirlybits do a resin conversion for the FAW7 and also one that covers all the pen nib style exhausts (as I used for my FAW5 which is on hold just now).

Duncan B

The Airfix FAW Mk.IX (hoary? old? dear me...) was based on the Heller T Mk.3, which probably explains the undersized rear end. I understood it was quite a good kit - the T Mk.3, that is.

Good job it wasn't done by an American company then.

Whirlybits have a selection of rear ends for javelins in 1/72 available, Have a look there.

Selwyn

Yep, as I said above they do a resin rear end for the FAW7 and a pen nib style rear end for the FAW1 - FAW6 under their Whirlybits title. I believe these may be ex- Maintrack moulds?

The Airfix FAW Mk.IX (hoary? old? dear me...) was based on the Heller T Mk.3, which probably explains the undersized rear end. I understood it was quite a good kit - the T Mk.3, that is.

The T mk 3 is a very nice kit for it's age, a bit basic in the cockpit and has raised panel lines but goes together very well. The FAW 9 has an extra sprue for the cockpit parts, Firestreaks and the additional bits required to make the Mk 9 including those twitchy exhaust parts.

jav5_zps43c5a074.jpg

In the above photo I haven't lined the end of the plastic with the end of the drawing so you can see the drawing more clearly but you get the idea.

Duncan B