Aces11 ejection seat late version

david v

Hi Guys, just a quick question, I have the Aires Aces11 late seat, but their are no canopy breakers supplied, am I right in thinking there should be, or does the late type seat not use them. Any help would be much appreciated. If I have to add them I do have the Aces11 early which does supply them.

Many thanks,

Dave

If you mean the 'horns' on each side of the head rest,they're not canopy breakers,they're sensors that basically feed data such as air pressure.velocity ect & tell the seat what to do & when to do it on ejection at certain heights/speeds,

If they were canopy breakers they'd be useless as the pilots head would be partly thru the canopy by the time they touched it...

On the later seats, the air data sensors (that's what the horns are) are folded down until the seat deploys during ejection. That's why they don't show up.

Steve

If you mean the 'horns' on each side of the head rest,they're not canopy breakers,they're sensors that basically feed data such as air pressure.velocity ect & tell the seat what to do & when to do it on ejection at certain heights/speeds,

If they were canopy breakers they'd be useless as the pilots head would be partly thru the canopy by the time they touched it...

On the later seats, the air data sensors (that's what the horns are) are folded down until the seat deploys during ejection. That's why they don't show up.

Steve

Just to add to what both Spike and Steve have already said, the later ACES II seats modified the air data sensors so that they are folded against the headbox until the seat ejected, however, just to add to your confusion, some ACES II applications DO have canopy breakers (F-15E for example), although most don't.

These links should help.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/awa01/001-100/awa004-F-15E/00e.shtm

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

The folded down or "Stowed" pitot ACES II Seat not really a late seat so to speak, but a mod to the personnel chute box on the headrest, as the rest of the seat remains the same. These are slowly being implemented through the F-16 and F-15 fleet.

Note that canopy breakers are on the A-10 and F15 ACES II Seats. The F-16, F-117, and B-1 ACES II do not have canopy breakers.

Mike V

Edited by Mike V