Ultimate Weathering Wash

Mike

Ultimate Weathering Wash
Ultimate Modelling Products

boxtop.jpg

Ultimate aim to produce products of exceptional quality that are both useful and easy to use. Their washes are designed along that principal, which is facilitated by the fact that they are water based, so incredibly easy to remove if you happen to make a mistake. The initial range is limited to six colours, but I understand from Lee that there are more in the works.

Dark Dirt bin-small.jpg Light Dirt bin-small.jpg Mud bin-small.jpg Concrete bin-small.jpg Rust bin-small.jpg Sand bin-small.jpg

They are able to be either brushed on or applied using an airbrush over a gloss coat, so are very flexible in the effects that you can achieve from splashes, puddles and streaks to a haze of grime that has accumulated over time. They are intermixable, so you can create your own shades for specific applications, and as stated earlier, they clean up with water, so you can swish your brushes in a pot of water, and clean your airbrush with the same products you use with acrylic paint. Ultimate's own Airbrush cleaner for example (reviewed here).

Before application you must shake them vigorously to distribute the wash evenly within the carrier medium, and if applying by brush, keep agitating throughout the washing process to ensure an even coverage. The washes are quick to dry, and once they are dry, you can remove or move the "dust" that is left behind using either a piece of damp kitchen towel, or a moistened stiff brush. Removal in the event of a mistake is just as easy, and I have used an old toothbrush to remove the wash in order to get it into the panel lines and hard-to-reach areas.

Conclusion
I have used them extensively on the Aero L-29 I completed recently, and am using them on the X-47B, using the Concrete colour to shade the white gear legs and bays without leaving them too stark. They are easy to use, non-toxic, and importantly, you don't have to think about what you're applying them to as they don't affect any acrylic paints that I've used them with, and certainly won't affect enamel or lacquer based paints. They can be fixed with varnishes after application, and offer a lot of flexibility for the AFV and other modellers alike.

Very highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

We now have an even better special offer on our washes...

With the release of our two newest colours in the Ultimate Weathering Wash range (Earth & Winter), we are now doing a MEGA Set of Weathering Washes for just £34.39.

The retail price for these is £42.32. This means you get 8 bottles for the price of 6½....!!!!

Get yours now......

MEGA%20Set%20Wash%20smallest_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I use these and I think they are good and I can recommend them.

Mike is spot on with the review!!

Guy