Nashorn *Base Added*

This is Tamiya's new Nashorn.
I replaced the kits vinyl tracks with a set of Dragon's Magic Tracks left over from a PZ IV, but the rest is all OOB.

Its a lovely kit, just falls together with plenty of detail.
I was a bit disappointed with the crew, their poses are good, but they just don't seem as sharp as Tamyia's usual stanadard for figures :(

I painted the model with Humbrol enamels, starting with the three colour camouflage scheme over which I applied random splotches of masking fluid, before airbrushing a misty cote of matt white before I started thw weathering,and I had a great time with the weathering! :)

The snow is baking soda, held in place with hair spray.

100_3438.jpg
free image upload

100_3439.jpg
picture hosting

100_3440.jpg
upload gif from url

100_3441.jpg
upload a gif

100_3442.jpg
image hosting over 10mb

100_3443.jpg
free image hosting

100_3444.jpg
img hosting

100_3445.jpg
how to print screen on pc

100_3446.jpg
click image upload

100_3447.jpg
uploading pictures

100_3448.jpg
hosting images

100_3449.jpg
image hosting without registration

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 4

just brilliant!!!!!......... you really should have done a paint guide of how you achieved the worn and weathered effect.

cheers oz!.

• Like 1

Cracking build and paint job. The figures may not be the sharpest detail but they are posed really well and fall in line with the subject just fine. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, glad you like the beast!

Before I applied any paint, I stippled the lower surfaces and running gear with a paste made from Humbrol filler, mixed with brush bristles and thinned with cellulose thinners to give the appearance of caked on mud and gunk.

The paint job was done as follows:

The basic three colour camouflage and decals were applied then sealed under Klear floor polish.

Using a torn sponge, I applied liquid masking solution along areas of high ware and tear and in smaller random splotches.

The white wash was done using Humbrol matt white, heavily thinned. I used vertical passes with the airbrush to apply multiple thin stripes, overlapping, to give the appearance of a field applied cote of paint.

Once this had dried, I used a piece of pan scourer to removed the masking fluid. You need to be quite aggressive as this will not only remove the masking fluid, but will impart scratches in the white wash.

Once this was done, another cote of Klear was applied to seal it all for the filters and washes.

I used a filter made from Humbrol Dark Brown (Matt 29) to cover the whole of the kit inside and out.

The next stage was using various oil colours, I applied a dot filter, streaking it with a broad flat brush, moistened with

thinners.

I repeated this stage a number of times to get a build up of the effect.

Raw umber heavily diluted with white spirits, was used as a pin wash and to impart streaks and runs.

For the chips and scratches I use a dark reddy brown applied with torn sponge to the areas where there would be damage

to the paint finish.

The lower half of the vehicle, where I applied the filler to simulate stuck on mud, was airbrushed with progressively darker shades of M29 dark earth, again very thinned down, and when dry a wash of raw umber over the top, before the snow was applied.

I applied baking soda to the areas I wanted then sprayed hair spray on it to seal and fix it, reapplying soda between cotes.

When applying the hair spray, I found the further away you held the can and sprayed, the better.

Too close and the force of the spray blows the soda away and the cote is so heavy, it washes away the soda.

I hope this helps you all.

Any more questions, then please just ask :)

I'm in the process of making a base for it.

• Like 2

I've placed the Nashorn on a simple base made from a polystyrene tile, pollyfilla, and some more baking soda.

The tree is an old root salvaged from the garden.

100_3450.jpg

print screen windows 7

100_3451.jpg

free upload pictures

100_3452.jpg

free image hosting

100_3453.jpg

image upload no limit

100_3454.jpg

upload picture

100_3455.jpg

upload pics

100_3456.jpg

image hosting

100_3457.jpg

free screen capture

• Like 4

What a great build and finish! Really good standard and love the effects you have used. Well done!

• Like 1

I'm not usually a fan of heavy weathering. Just my personal taste of course, but IMHO too many guys (who are otherwise very competent modellers) seem not to know when to stop (yes "Spanish School" - I'm talking about you!).

They forget that these things often had a service life measured in days or - at most - weeks after arriving at the front from fresh out of the factory, so would simply not have had time to take on the look of something that had been exposed to the elements for any great length of time.

And I have to be honest, my initial impression upon seeing the the first few pics was "here we go again".

That said however, I think that placing it on a base improves the whole project by several orders of magnitude, and it works much better when placed in such a context. I would still have probably gone for less rust. But that said, the worn whitewash effect is very nicely rendered, and the base places all the dirt on the lower surfaces into context.

Edited by Stashaholic Steve
  • Like 1

just brilliant!!!.

regards oz!.

• Like 1