British MAN trucks

Killingholme

the new gb man trucks are not quite the same, there are 2 versions the hx and the sx, the hx have a different mudguards after the front wheels and the spare is across the cab, the sx is closer but the bodies are different.

the hx also has leaf springs and most gb ones are the hx type, the amount of wheels does not matter either as the ranges are all wheels types.

I hope this helps

• Like 1

That's a great start. Just knowing the model numbers has helped me no end with google searches!

The more I play 'spot the difference' the more I spot.Quite an involved conversion. By the way- what are all the gubbins behind the cab on the British trucks? Air conditioning or a winch engine or something?

Looks like it is all do-able with fairly basic plasticard modelling skills, but I wouldn't attempt it without some decent scale drawings of the cab area and GS body to get it just so. Don't think there's any of those in the public domain!

Will

sadly this forum does not seem to allow me to post pics or links, but I have got good pics from the man website including good overhead shots.

I am making a whole range of 72 scale gb man sx trucks for my range.

sandsmodelsshop.com

but they are taking longer than expected.

thanks

shaun

I'm sure Accurate Armour will do something in due course, but look how long it's taken to get decent kits of such things as MKs and DROPS. Trouble is, the UK spec vehicles are different in very many ways from the original 20+ year old versions kitted by Revell. MAN took the opportunity to update pretty much everything to bring the vehicle into the 21st century,and our version is unique. Chassis and driveline is probably close enough in this scale but not much else. A conversion will amount to a complete kit. You can probably get some GA drawings from MAN Truck & Bus in Swindon if you ask nicely and there are plenty of photos out there for detail reference. But it's not a small job. Nor for Revell to re-engineer: new kit .....

Now is the time you wish we'd bought the Oshkosh MVTR instead, as Trumpeter would certainly have done a UK version! There were less differences as the MVTR is a more recent design and there was maximum commonality with the in-service CST.

Kingfisher Miniatures already produces the MAN X77 HSV 8x8 to uk spec in GS with Tilt and Flatbed. Scale is 1/76.

If you wish to go the conversion route then you will need about 10% only of the Revell kit. This is why we decided to go down the complete kit route which is why it has taken just over 2 years to get the kit out with several trial builds proving and adjusting bits before getting it right.

The rest of the range is being moulded commencing with the 4x4's and will most definitely be out for Scale Model World if not before.

Good luck with your build.

Alastair.

• 1 year later...