M48A3 USMC Vietnam - another oldie but goodie!

Tamiya M48A3 depicted as US Marines in Vietnam. The kit is from the 1970's with part of the the Legend M48 Stowage Set added and the AFV Club Indy Track (the black stuff).

2014_05110001.jpg

2014_05110002.jpg

2014_05110003.jpg

2014_05110004.jpg

2014_05110006.jpg

Weathering with MiG Vietnam Earth pigments

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 6

Very nice looking, good weathering. But I am missing any kind of gun on the tower... :popcorn:

Looks odd I know! But it was common for crews to remove the sub-turret .50cal and mount it on the turret top (cradle as seen). The MG was quite restrictive inside the turret.

Great work mate,

its still a good kit for its age, how did you get on fixing the Legend AM to the hull..did you do much carving with the resin?.

Andy

Hey Andy, very little hack 'n slash on the Legend stuff in fact, I still have a whole load left over as there's too much in the box :yikes: almost enough for a good part of another vehicle.

If I'd have put all the stowage on the M48 you wouldn't have been able to tell what vehicle it was and you had to be able to see 'The Bunny' :analintruder:

Nicely done. This brings back memories.

A historical tidbit if I may. The "bunny" didn't last long, it was located on the turret in the exact spot that an NVA soldier wanted to aim an RPG. The M48 was extremely vulnerable to this simple weapon, hence the sandbags above the rail. Spare tracklinks were almost always suspended from below the turret rail as supplemental armor. The front part of the turret contained several hydraulic lines which contributed to fires when hit. Not a smart design by any means. That's also the reason you see rolls of chain link fence carried along with metal fence poles. Crews erected a chain link barricade around the tank at night when lagered.

Good job. Oh and some truly did look like "circus wagons" when on the march.

G