F3D Skynight

This is the Sword 1/72 F3D.

F3D-003.jpg

I really like Sword kits. They are short run kits, so they don't fall together like a modern Airfix or Eduard kit, but they are fun. Many of them have resin and/or pre-coloured photoetch in the box as standard.

This one doesn't... :lol: It is a basic but workmanlike kit. Everything comes on two grey sprues with an additional transparent sprue for the three part canopy.

F3D-001.jpg

If you look carefully at the fuselage halves you will see some cable conduits running the length of the port side and on the starboard nose. The aircraft that Sword used as a basis for the kit was a test airframe used in the Sparrow guided missile programme. The conduits are not fitted to squadron aircraft and so they will have to be removed. Not exactly a difficult task.

F3D-002.jpg

I shall be building this as WF-15 or VMF(N)-513 at Pyong Taek AB in 1953. It is in a Sea Blue Gloss scheme with red markings for the nightfighter role. Also on the decal sheet is an overall black aircraft of the same unit which gained two kills in 1953. There are also a couple of aircraft in standard markings which were not used in Korea.

The cockpit has a reasonable amount of detail, very little of which will be seen through the canopy. I added some crude seatbelts from Tamiya masking tape and left them in yellow in the hope that they will be just about visible.

F3D-004.jpg

And then the fuselage went together.

F3D-005.jpg

F3D-006.jpg

• Like 3

:lol: and if you can wait another 24 hours, there'll be another two! :D

I think you, Porcopius and AndrewE have this group build cornered!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...