Fairey Firefly FR.5

The first of my builds for this GB. I've actually been building this since the start of the GB, I just haven't documented it yet.

This is the Special Hobby 1/48 kit in the Korean War boxing.

FF-001.jpg

I built the FR.1 version last year for the FAA GB and thoroughly enjoyed it, so this one was an obvious choice.

Here is what you get in the box.

FF-002.jpg

FF-003.jpg

FF-004.jpg

FF-005.jpg

FF-006.jpg

The wheel bay and exhausts are supplied in resin. Also shown is the BarracudaCast canopy.

FF-007.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I have had some very bad experiences with resin wheel bays. They never seem to fit! :wall: The bay in the Firefly FR.1 fitted perfectly, which surprised me very much. This one is the same. I gave it a quick spray of Sky and a wash of MIG Productions Cold Grey Wash then in it went.

FF-008.jpg

FF-009.jpg

The wings are now together with the radiators in place. There is some minor internal structure supplied and then the radiator shrouds fit over the front.

FF-010.jpg

You can see the shrouds fitted here. The fuselage is taped together and added for effect.

FF-011.jpg

FF-012.jpg

This is quite an imposing model. It already really looks the part. It seems that this boxing is already out of production. That's a shame. Let's hope that Special Hobby re-release it soon. I could do with another for the stash. :D

• Like 1

It seems that this boxing is already out of production.

What! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I need this boxing.... :D

Nice work by the way. ;)

Sean

There is, even got it in my stash :D

Also mpm, only it is a mark 1

I have a Mk I in my stash, too. But it's not enough! IT'S NEVER ENOUGH

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any progress Enzo? I managed to pick one of these up in Hannants yesterday. They had 9 sitting on their shelves that they didn't know they had. Not sure if they have got them back on their site but worth looking into if anyone wants one.

Any progress Enzo? I managed to pick one of these up in Hannants yesterday. They had 9 sitting on their shelves that they didn't know they had. Not sure if they have got them back on their site but worth looking into if anyone wants one.

Oh yes! Definite progress. The decals are about to go on.

If anyone wants one of these kits, I recommend that you should make very effort to get one before they all disappear. It's a lovely kit. and a 1/48 Firefly has a definite presence.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Enzo,

Always good to see another Firefly in progress - it is a great looking aircraft.

As far as the kit is concerned, I was intrigued by the third seat and alternate rear cockpit surround - "not for use" for a Mk IV or V but which shows, I assume, that Special Hobby have at least thought about producing an AS7 or U8 version....

One other thing I've noticed in building one of mine as a Mk IV with the additional "drop tank" style tanks is that all four parts are moulded as the same side of the tank - have a go at gluing them together and you'll see what I mean! Not a problem for a Korean War machine, but an unusual mistake....!

Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice build Enzo, makes me feel like building more FAA stuff.

It makes me want to build more Fireflies! :D

I reckon a BPF Mk.1, a Korean War Mk.1 and an RCN Mk.1 should just about do me...

• Like 1