Tiger Moth Classic Wings Duxford 2008

Hi

In 2008, my family bought me a flight in a Classic WingsTiger Moth from Duxford. I took control and flew the wonderful old girl towards Newmarket race course. I then turned back towards Audley End House near Saffron Walden. I had a wonderful time and would recommend the experience to all.

My wife took these pictures (I'm in the front cockpit):

DSC_6257_zpsa38a5af4.jpg

DSC_6258_zps3d77661a.jpg

DSC_6259_zps6078f4d5.jpg

DSC_6262_zps09daead4.jpg

When Airfix released the new Tiger Moth, I decided that I wanted to create a miniature version of R4922. Thanks to the generous gift from a friend (thanks mate!), I built and brush-painted her last Sunday afternoon and then applied a mix of kit and other decals one evening during the week (which aren't particularly accurate). I managed to break off two of the cabane struts while trying to remove the "jig" struts that are intended to ensure the correct alignment of the wings..

I applied a coat of W&N Galeria Satin Varnish and then almost lost the will to live applying the rigging and control cables due to my CA accelerator not working as I had hoped. I painted one of the wheels yellow, as in the above picture and attached the aerial cut from guitar string.

I nearly didn't post pictures of the model, as I am not 100% happy with the result. The most obvious issue for me is the over-scale EZ-Line control cables.

Anyway, here she is, warts and all!

DSC_8009_zps3d95b085.jpg

DSC_8019_zps4841c135.jpg

DSC_8011_zps5b74579a.jpg

DSC_8015_zps540744ec.jpg

DSC_8012_zps5246c801.jpg

Here she is with the models I made following my more recent Classic WIngs experience:

DSC_8022_zpsaa559653.jpg

• Like 16

Looks great,

I had a similar experience when work got me a same flight in a Tigermoth as a reward, exchanged it on the day an they took the whole family in the Rapide,

Best flight experience ever seeing the look on my son's face and my daughter saying flying it's just like being in a car as we taxied to the runway!

Rick G

• Like 1

Wow, I'm jealous. I would love to fly in a Tiger Moth. One of my favourite planes :)

Always like seeing Tiger Moth builds, you did a great job with a lovely little aircraft :)

• Like 1

Given all the aggro that came with the build then I think you've done a terrific job. Anybody brave enough to tackle biplanes and that associated rigging deserves a pat on the back. Nice to build a replica of the very aircraft that you've been in.

• Like 1

Very nice build and story to go with it, nice to be able to make a model of it.

I'm building the civvie one at the moment and it is giving me moments of despair. The plastic seems very brittle, I had one of the 'N' cabane struts shatter into 3 peices, and one of the forward undercarriage struts snap in 2 twice now, and the tailskid snapped off and went AWOL without me noticing. I have persevered and am winning the battle but it's not been very relaxing. And oh yes one of my 'X' sprues came off between the struts before I had them fixed on.

It's a pretty little model though, and I even went and bought the militiary version yesterday, so It cant be too bad!

Cheers

John

Very nice, like that a lot, great job on the rigging on something so small!!

I've flown in the same Moth, my wife bought me a flight for my 40th in 2006, it was great and took me back to flying a chippie in my ATC days. i've got the old matchbox 1/32 kit in the stash with this same aircraft in mind on the 'to-do' list!!

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

I am NOT jealous but happy that there Are some of US who get to enjoy such wonderful experiences

And share them with US.. :clap::wub:

ITS great you shared you old JOY with us minions..

LOVELY photos,.

And a smart little build.. Liking the color scheme of your Tiger Moth..

:wow::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice result and a great back-story; always nice to have a connection with the subject matter.

Like your attention to detail, even to the mismatched wheel colours!

ATB
Rick

• Like 1